FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the compact FNP-9m in DA only today to go with my full size FNP-9 DA/SA. Is there a way to improve this heavy trigger or convert it to DA/SA? Anyone know if FNH USA offers these parts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
DAO FNP?

That's the first time I've heard of such a thing.

Consider this a bump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah DA only, the trigger is HEAVY and LONG. Nice gun though. Looks like there is a different mold for this stock or perhaps an insert. I wasn't able to tell exactly, but there is a noticeable scribe mark or line where the decocker would normally go.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Huh, sorry I doubted you.

I can't REALLY answer your questions but I can speculate:

I would assume lightening the trigger pull is possible, but I don't know where you can find different springs for the FNP yet.

Converting it to DA/SA is probably not possible.

When did you buy that thing? New/used?

·
Registered
173 Posts
There would have to be a way to lighten the pull, but I suppose it depends on how the trigger pack looks in that particular gun.
It may not be able to shorten the pull though. My guess is it is similar to the DA/SA in the other FNPs where the trigger cocks the hammer and then lets it go. Only in this case it pulls back the firing pin until it releases it for the shot.
After looking at my DA/SA FNP-9, it would be very difficult to guess what to do to lighten the pull. Everything is packed in there so much; way different from my GLOCK. Trial and error are not the way to go. There are a few springs in there, but I don't think that I would shorten them or anything drastic. It may lighten up with use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will give FN a call. In the manual it says the DA only models are between 9-12 lbs compared to around 4-5 for the DA/SA. I bought it without seeing it b/c I loved my other FNP-9 so much. I got it just a few days ago - left overs from some overrun from a Law Enforcement order on just this model. It is brand new with a manufacturers date of 03/08. :shock:

It has (3) 15 rd LEO marked mags which are pretty cool. I don't know why with a manufacturers date of 03/08 it would still come with "Law Enforcement only" marked on the magazines unless they were for all 50 states? I gotta lighten the trigger down to at least 7 range though. I would guess it is at 11 or 12 currently which has got to move the gun some while pulling the trigger. It really takes that much effort! If anyone has a CZ, I would compare it to the DA trigger on that. Imagine that on every shot though and not just the first. :evil:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I could swear that my DA/SA is lightening up a little after dry firing a bit. Either that or I am building strength in my finger. It does move a bit as you say until you get used to the heavy pull. I do think that a DA gun like that should be around 8lb or less. a 12lb pull every time would be rough IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DAO tough trigger

I'm with you.

I bought two FNP-9M (compacts) in DAO from CDNN for $299 each. The price was right, so I bought myself one and my dad one. My intention was to use mine for carry.

I am pretty disappointed with the DAO trigger. It has to be 12lbs. or more. I'm hoping it will lighten up over time.

I also have a SW MP9 and must be spoiled by its 6.5lb trigger pull.

I'm not giving up on the FNP because there has got to be some way to work on the trigger.

If anything, I'll just have to shoot it a whole lot more. By the way I just bought Federal Eagle 9mm ammo from wholesalehunter for $8.97/50. Great deal!

To the original poster...If you figure something out with your DAO trigger, please keep me posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm using my FNP-9M DAO for exercise. That 15lb trigger sure gives my trigger finger biceps a workout :) It does help me shoot my other guns though because if you can hold that DAO trigger steady you are going to shoot like butter with anything else.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Since then, I have seen the DAO closeouts that CDNN was doing. As FN will not do conversions to SAO or USG, I am betting that you are stuck with the DAO.

DAO - TRUE DAO - guns are not popular in the states. Sorry, while U could try calling FN, I think U are stuck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts