FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and to the FN family. I purchased a FNS-40 from my brother-in-law a few months back and got a great deal on it. I had been looking at them for a while and when he said he got one I was VERY jealous! Anyways, he shot about 50 rounds through it and decided to go with a 9mm instead. When he called and said he was selling, I didn't miss the chance. Now, 500 rounds later, it has become my daily carry sidearm. I have an M&P Shield that I carry when I need deep cover, but mostly the FNS is my go to pistol. I shoot it well and have yet to have any failures.

That being said, I have noticed something that is happening but I don't remember seeing this when I first started shooting it. When I field strip the FNS, I have noticed that the guide rod end is not sitting flush in the seat when I remove the slide from the pistol. It runs fine and I have no accuracy problems or anything of the sort. I didn't know if that was a feature specific to this weapon, causing the guide rod and spring to be more easily removed, or if it's just happening to mine. I have not overlubed the gun and the last time I cleaned it, I made sure not to get an lube on this part at all. It still comes unseated just a little when I field strip. I compared it to my other striker fired pistols and they don't do this. I figured if anyone could help, it would be someone on here. I am wanting to purchase the FNX Tactical but I just want to make sure I get this figured out first. I actually followed the break in thread on here when I got the gun, so I don't think it's something that I have done to cause it. If someone could shed some light on this for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
It's normal. It moves when the take down lever is rotated.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the greetings, and thanks for the info. I am glad that this is normal since this is my favorite sidearm to date! I am looking forward to adding another FN to the stable.

Are there any other tips or tricks to this pistol? I am use G96 to clean my weapons but I am thinking about trying something else such as Frog Lube or Ballistol. Will the G96 have any adverse reactions on the tritium vials in the night sights or the white plastic around them? That was my only other concern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the greetings, and thanks for the info. I am glad that this is normal since this is my favorite sidearm to date! I am looking forward to adding another FN to the stable.

Are there any other tips or tricks to this pistol? I am use G96 to clean my weapons but I am thinking about trying something else such as Frog Lube or Ballistol. Will the G96 have any adverse reactions on the tritium vials in the night sights or the white plastic around them? That was my only other concern.

I always say you should try several things and see which provides the best experience for you. I have tried Rem Oil, Ballistol, Hoppe's, and FrogLube.. In my PERSONAL opinion, FrogLube solvent and CLP (applied with HEAT) have made my weapon more smooth and more enjoyable to shoot. It also seems to clean easier after my weekly 250 round target sessions.

I have switched to FrogLube on all my weapons, and I have never been happier with them.

But again, YMMV, and you may have different opinion. but my FNS-40, Ruger 10/22 (in HTA Stock), and my 2 Ruger SR-22's love the FrogLube!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same thing happen on field strip of my FNS-40, too. As Akitainu said, it is normal (though a bit disconcerting). I use MPro7 on all of my weapons (a little dab will do ya) and they never stop. I mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I ran my FNS-40 through the Tac-Pro Basic Defensive Pistol Course. It was clean and properly lubricated with MPro7 when I started and after two days and 800 rounds was still singing it's song. Several other class members were experiencing jams and other mechanical issues with their pistols. I don't know what they used lube-wise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts