FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
January 31st I bought a FNS 9 (no safety 4") that has impressed the hell out of me. After 600 rds. and a lot of dry firing the trigger has really smoothed out on its own. Superior quality construction and excellent ergos. Shooting my XD 45 immediately afterward I find the trigger seriously lacking in comparison. (PRP kit and Talon grips on the way) I really like the XD (bought in 2006) but if there is an FNS 45 coming down the line, I'm going to be standing in line for one. If not, maybe the FNP or FNX though I prefer a striker.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It may exist eventually, but as of now, I doubt it.

FN likes to introduce new products on an available construction capacity basis, and nearly everything they do has, first and foremost, a military slant to it. To the best of my knowledge, the FNS-c is the first firearm they have manufactured in 20+ years that was geared solely and specifically for the civilian market...even the FNS was geared to law enforcement contracts and the few militaries in the world who would accept a striker-fired polymer pistol.

That said, the FNS in 45 caliber would take some serious redesign and retooling, and I don't see them going to the effort or the expense of creating and producing the firearm for the small number of civilian buyers that might want it. The 9mm made sense as it is the preferred round of the time (and NATO STANAG) and the 40 caliber was a relatively simple retool on a chassis already capable of handling the stresses of the round. However, to my knowledge, no major military in the world still uses the .45 ACP as a standard sidearm round, and very few governments will accept a striker-fired sidearm (with nearly all instead preferring something hammer fired with a manual safety and decocker.)

As much as I might like to see one, the money just isn't (and wouldn't be) there to incentivize FN to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't argue with your logic there. I went and looked at the FNX 45 (not the tactical) today. It's a beast but I think I'll rent one and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually asked this same question at the FNH booth at the NRA convention in April. The reply I got was that it had been brought up/mentioned but that it was way, way down the list. So eventually a possibility but don't hold your breath, it will be a long while.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would say it would be based on market share of the FNX-45 & Tactical relative to the total market of 45 ACP pistols. How successful all FNH USA handgun sales based on market share and profitability of FNH USA hand guns (FNH making a profit). The market share of striker-fired 45 ACP pistols based on the 45 ACP handgun market. The FNH striker-fired 45 ACP largest market would be civilian sales, limited LEA and limited military sales which would limit the total market. FNH USA hand guns need a larger market share today with a reputation/status of SIG, H&K, etc. (top tier). FNH USA customer service must be industry leading with a stellar reputation (top tier) to help expand the product lines and market share of consumer firearms. Finally the firearms industry needs a regulatory friendly local, state and federal government(s). Many people I meet who purchase FNH USA pistols are former/current military, people who are in the firearms industry, first time buyers or are looking for a unique pistol like the FN Five-Seven or FNX-45/45 Tactical (15+1). FNH USA hand guns should have a larger market share of the consumer market and better brand recognition. I also agree with Digitalis

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
FN likes to introduce new products on an available construction capacity basis, and nearly everything they do has, first and foremost, a military slant to it. To the best of my knowledge, the FNS-c is the first firearm they have manufactured in 20+ years that was geared solely and specifically for the civilian market...even the FNS was geared to law enforcement contracts and the few militaries in the world who would accept a striker-fired polymer pistol.
Aside from their O/U shotgun you would be correct.

Like you said, it may eventually happen, but I don't think an FNS 45 would be profitable in the current market. How man M&P 45's and XD 45's do you guys actually see out and about being shot (even Glock 45 for that matter)? I rarely see anything chambered in 45 at the range other than 1911's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts