FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. This has been discussed ad nauseum. But I'm struggling here.

First, low shooting. Every other pistol I own, I shoot center of mass with nice groups. My new FNS 9 shoots low left. I'm aware of the European sight picture and too much trigger finger. But that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Second. I've owned three FNS 9s over the years, and my latest is the only one that hasn't presented problems. So there's a confidence issue.

So. Both my G19 and FNS are candidates for EDC. Up until now it's been my Glock. But I find the FNS ergonomics better. What am I doing wrong with my FNS? I've been shooting constantly for almost 15 years, with tons of training.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
81 Posts
What are you setting up as your point of aim? IIRC on the FNs (took some getting used to on my FNXs), the dot of the front sight should cover the center of the target. I'm used to putting the top of the sight post at the center point of the target, so that definitely took some getting used to on my part.

I'm guessing you're a right handed shooter, so to the left may be pushing, as in too little trigger finger. I'm left handed, so if I'm pushing, I'm to the right, but if I'm too far left than I have too much trigger finger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you setting up as your point of aim? IIRC on the FNs (took some getting used to on my FNXs), the dot of the front sight should cover the center of the target. I'm used to putting the top of the sight post at the center point of the target, so that definitely took some getting used to on my part.

I'm guessing you're a right handed shooter, so to the left may be pushing, as in too little trigger finger. I'm left handed, so if I'm pushing, I'm to the right, but if I'm too far left than I have too much trigger finger.
Ah! I didn't consider too little trigger finger. Excellent point. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
At home, with no ammo around: hold the pistol however you shoot it, sit down and rest your hands with the gun how you shoot it on the bench/table. Look through the sights putting all your attention on the position of the front sight within the rear posts. Then slowly pull the trigger through fire. Where was your finger on the trigger and which way did the front sight move within the posts. This can help you find the right spot for each of your guns for the trigger to meet your finger.

Also practicing finger stretches can reduce the amount of trigger pull or push of aim throwing the shot. Flatten your trigger hand, all fingers outstretched, and point in front of you with them rigid. Now pull just the trigger finger back as far as you can without the rest of your outstretched, ideally perfectly strait fingers. If you can do that without your middle, ring and pinky fingers flexing or moving your trigger to sight control will improve. Do the same in reverse too - keep the trigger finger strait but pull the grip fingers back. Also a great stretch.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Learning to use your support hand as the primary method of positioning the weapon (on the target or aligning the sights) will also allow you to pay more attention to your trigger pull, and also improve your ability to hit what you're aiming at. Then the trigger finger is the only job the strong hand has to perform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know. This has been discussed ad nauseum. But I'm struggling here.

First, low shooting. Every other pistol I own, I shoot center of mass with nice groups. My new FNS 9 shoots low left. I'm aware of the European sight picture and too much trigger finger. But that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Second. I've owned three FNS 9s over the years, and my latest is the only one that hasn't presented problems. So there's a confidence issue.

So. Both my G19 and FNS are candidates for EDC. Up until now it's been my Glock. But I find the FNS ergonomics better. What am I doing wrong with my FNS? I've been shooting constantly for almost 15 years, with tons of training.

Thanks everyone!
Did you change the backstrap? I went from the curved to the straight one and the gun feels a 100% better in my hand. Changing it out isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out to the range again yesterday, this time concentrating on trigger pull. Much better. I also replaced the striker with the Apex "heavy duty" version, as my FNS-9 is part of the service bulletin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to hear trigger pull cleaned it up some. A lot of issues that shooters have can be traced to either poor trigger pull or something else relatively simple (but requiring practice) to fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear trigger pull cleaned it up some. A lot of issues that shooters have can be traced to either poor trigger pull or something else relatively simple (but requiring practice) to fix.
That's right. My belief is most accuracy issues are caused by the shooter. Not always, of course. But likely most cases. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got this result today. Okay, I'm cheating bigtime. I don't see that well anymore so have a Holosun 507C V2 mounted on this. Frankly I wanted to put some more rounds through the gun to see how to adjust the sight. Here is the result. 6 shots at 10 yards, resting on my gun bag (not free hand). 115gr. FMJ ammo - nothing special. I also installed an APEX trigger on my FNS-9. I got pretty similar results out even further. I purchased this gun because it is one of the very few striker fired pistols available with ambi controls including slide release and safety. The more I shoot this gun, the better it gets. Could I do this without the optic? No, but who cares.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like the FNS pistols, but they do shoot a little low for me, with the factory sights. I have installed aftermarket sights and my point of impact is now equal to my point of aim. I also prefer a thinner front sight than the factory config. This is personal preference, but it works for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't shoot from a rest unless I'm sighting in a red dot (something about those elevation/windage screws just remind me of a rifle/scope.)

But that is a nice group. None of my FNS .40's will do that. Not so far with all the ammo (store bought and reloads) I've tried. That pistol was definitely worth putting a good red dot on.

Oh, the red dot does not make the pistol more accurate. It does help you shoot it better/faster, faster/better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just got this result today. Okay, I'm cheating bigtime. I don't see that well anymore so have a Holosun 507C V2 mounted on this. Frankly I wanted to put some more rounds through the gun to see how to adjust the sight. Here is the result. 6 shots at 10 yards, resting on my gun bag (not free hand). 115gr. FMJ ammo - nothing special. I also installed an APEX trigger on my FNS-9. I got pretty similar results out even further. I purchased this gun because it is one of the very few striker fired pistols available with ambi controls including slide release and safety. The more I shoot this gun, the better it gets. Could I do this without the optic? No, but who cares. View attachment 137956
Even with good eyesight (I'm in the 20/15 range with my contacts in), there's no disputing that there's a significant advantage in rapid target acquisition and follow up shots with a dot. I don't really care what anyone says; I would never talk down on anyone who put a dot on their carry pistol. I've come to the conclusion that it's a worthwhile upgrade and I have a Holosun 407c on my FS M&P Pro CORE that I carry often.

Red dot or not, it still takes solid fundamentals to put in a group like that, so hats off to you good sir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts