FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new comer to the shooting world. I have a ton of book knowledge which won't float me anywhere and I want to gain some real buoyant experience to grow with and develop my skills on. I have been looking closely at the FNS-9 as a powerful candidate for this role. I am looking for a gun for pretty much every use. I do not intend to carry both open or concealed though I may get my CCP just to provided myself the option to if I desire it. So basically I am looking for a good long term handgun that I can use to learn on, carry as needed/desired and will serve me well once I reach the point of being an experienced shooter.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
You should find a Gun Shop with a range and try one before you buy or make up your mind to one model.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well said, if your new to the gun commuity diversity is the key. You need to know what will fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
FOR YOUR FIRST FIREARM PURCHASE I WOULD GO WITH SOMETHING WITH A MANUAL SAFETY LIKE THE FNX-9 INSTEAD OF THE FNS MY:mytwocents0:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
FOR YOUR FIRST FIREARM PURCHASE I WOULD GO WITH SOMETHING WITH A MANUAL SAFETY LIKE THE FNX-9 INSTEAD OF THE FNS MY:mytwocents0:
The FNS-9 has a manual safety, just not as pronounced as the FNX.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I love ya Lester but I gotta disagree with you on the manual safety. But, to each his own.

I believe as long as you keep your booger hook off the trigger until you are ready to fire and you follow the other 3 rules of firearms safety, a manual safety is unnecessary. Revolvers don't have manual safeties. "Safeties are a hardware fix for a software problem" (wish I had came up with that saying, lol)

More than anything, get some training. Get some training. Get some training! Anybody can buy a pistol but only a real man will get some training!

Oh btw, did I suggest getting some training? :!:

Both my FNS-9 and my FNS-40 are non-safety models.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
The FNS-9 has a manual safety, just not as pronounced as the FNX.
I love ya Lester but I gotta disagree with you on the manual safety. But, to each his own.

I believe as long as you keep your booger hook off the trigger until you are ready to fire and you follow the other 3 rules of firearms safety, a manual safety is unnecessary. Revolvers don't have manual safeties. "Safeties are a hardware fix for a software problem" (wish I had came up with that saying, lol)

More than anything, get some training. Get some training. Get some training! Anybody can buy a pistol but only a real man will get some training!

Oh btw, did I suggest getting some training? :!:

Both my FNS-9 and my FNS-40 are non-safety models.
SORRY ABOUT THE FNS SAFETY:spank: NEVER REALLY LOOKED AT THEM ONE I SEEN HAD NO SAFETY. I JUST LIKE MY NEW LITTLE FNX-9 SO MUCH I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD OWN ONE:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
SORRY ABOUT THE FNS SAFETY:spank: NEVER REALLY LOOKED AT THEM ONE I SEEN HAD NO SAFETY. I JUST LIKE MY NEW LITTLE FNX-9 SO MUCH I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD OWN ONE:biggrin:
Well I guess I should've clarified, I believe there is one without a manual safety but I "think" it's marketed to LEOs only. So we were both right!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice! I had been planning on getting some hands on instruction from some of my older adult family friends who are experienced shooters but I will definitely look into more formal instruction. Another issue I have come across is it seems as though their are a million and a half places to purchase a hand gun. I really like some of the prices on sites like gunbroker and I have also seen exceptionally good prices on sites like budsgunshop but also see their horrendous reviews. As I have been at school I have not been able to swing by my LGSs and check their. What are your recommendations on where to purchase?

Also do you know of any good gun shops/ranges near Quantico, Virginia?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Definitely, talk to friends and family that are gun saavy.

But then go seek out an NRA certified instructor (as a minimum qualification) with a good reputation (and be discerning in your choice before you commit). There are a boat-load of professional and talented instructors in the Quantico, Va area. And like anywhere else, there are more than a few asshats with a minimal certification.

As far as buying, I always try to support my local gun stores but sometimes, I can get a far better deal by ordering online (saves on sales tax and the raw price of the firearm, even with shipping and local transfer costs).

GB would not be my first choice, but they aren't bad if you are dealing with a reputable dealer. Buds is a very good choice but you must do your homework. I have seen Buds list the same firearm on GB for far more than they will sell straight up off their website.

This is the thing, the margins on gun sales are razor thin. If you find someone that does you right on a particular firearm that you can form a personal relationship with, then you might be willing to give up $40-50 on the next purchase. It helps them tremendously and they keep a customer they will help out in the future. And if they are good, they will help you out in the future because they want to keep your business.

I have a local guy that I have bent over backwards to give my business to but he has F'd me every step of the way. Now, he just handles transfers and I hate it.

I also know a dealer 6 states away that is golden in my mind and will get all the business I can send his way because he is such an awesome guy.

Good luck!

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
51 Posts
FNS is a great first pistol. It's simple to use, is offered with a good set of night sights and has a decent trigger. A good friend of mine shot a bunch of my pistols (Glock, HK, SIG and FNS) and he selected the FNS for his first pistol. He currently has only 500 rounds through the gun but loves the pistol thus far. Personally, the FNS is my daily carry gun. I like my FNS so much I bought an identical twin as a backup/nightstand option and mounted a weapon light on it. 100% reliable thus far across the board.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I believe the FNS-9 is an outstanding gun for shooters of all levels.
After a few hours of working with my 17 year old daughter on fundamentals, safety, etc... we went to the range.
Here's her first 10 rounds with my FNS-9.

IMG_3178.jpg

It's as soft a shooting 9mm as you'll find.
The ergonomics fit a wide variety of hands.

And it's more accurate than we'll ever be.

·
Registered
519 Posts
OP,
If you have access to the Base Exchange at Quantico, check there or at Fort Eustis.
I picked both of my FNS's at the Exchange at Nellis AFB.
Bonus: No tax!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts