FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a new FNS9 owner and new forum member. I've been thinking of buying one for some time and finally picked one up about 6 months ago. I love the gun but recently I've been experiencing repeated FTF's (about 1 every 5 to 10 rounds). Switching ammunition did not resolve the problem. When manually cycling the slide I notice that I need a little extra effort to start the rearward movement and I'm thinking that this is throwing off the timing and causing the FTF's. I think I have the source narrowed to the spring-loaded protrusion on the left rear side of the Fire Control assembly (with the gun oriented away from me). It seems to ride along the rail edge but normally is positioned in a small depression in the rail. I inspected both the rail and this protrusion (sorry, but I don't know its correct name) for nicks/damage and could find none. But, when manually compressing the protrusion, it feels a bit gritty.
Is there any way to disassemble the FC assembly so I can get at the shaft, inspect it and polish it?

Has anyone else experienced this probelm and, if so, has there been any remedy?

Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My FNS9 was my first firearm. And the first few mags I had a lot of FTF's. The range instructor tries it. Bangs out 6 quick no problem.
It was me, not the pistol.
Now I only get FTFs when I'm using cheap 'range only' ammo.
Also, when the mags are new, putting one in the pipe then loading a full 17 round mag can cause an FTF. Lot of tension on that new mag spring.
I have a couple thousand rounds through mine now. I have had new shooters use it with no FTFs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What is the round count of the pistol? Are you the original owner of the pistol? The owner’s manual will have a description of the part name on the pistol. How often do you clean and lubricate the pistol? What are the products used? Do you follow the directions for pistol maintenance/lubrication in the manual? What ammunition are you using now? What ammunition were you using in the past? Can you provide pictures? Accessing/altering the FCG can void your warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply...let's see if we can answer your questions. Round count is about 200 rounds and I am the first owner. I cleaned and re-lubed the FN prior to the first use and cleaned/lubed after every range visit (total 4 visits). I clean using Hoppe's and lube with Militech. I've tried some cheap reloads, remington and winchester all with the same results. I'll try and take a picture of the part in question that, hopefully can give you a better idea of the item I think is causing the slide hesitation.....if that is really what is causing all this.

Fishgutzy mentioned it might be mag springs. I did try all three mags with the same result. Funny, though, this problem has only started after 100 or so rounds. Perhaps that's not enough rounds to draw any conclusions but I've purchased a two sig's and a beretta - all new - and none of them had this kind of ftf - even during break in.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas and help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts