FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after taking my new fns-9 out shooting( i did rack the slide a ton before hand) it had tons of jams, even after 100+ rounds. The only ammo i have here to shoot is wally world 115gr. So that being said, has anyone tried a glock recoil spring or guide rod in theres? or have one laying around to measure? That way you can order different spring weights for diff ammo

·
Registered
519 Posts
First of all, congrats on the gun and welcome to the forum!
When you say jams, are you referring to a specific type (failure to feed, failure to extract, or double feeding).
We can give better help with more information.
Did you lube the gun? With what?
The reason I'm asking is because the only glitch I've ever experienced was a few failures of the slide to lock open after the last shot, attributable to a defective magazine.
The ONLY other failures with.my two FNS-9s were operator error on my wife's part. She was slightly limp wristing. Once we firmed up her grip, the problem went away.
No, there's no reason to change guide rod springs for different ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a sr9, glocks, xds and shoot plenty of others and never had this problem. Mostly stove pipes, failure to ejects, and not staying open on last round.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It looks to me that you're not using the best ammo and your firing during the break in period of the FNS. These two could be contributing to your problems. There is a thread here about what to do for a new FNS, I think its called A Newbies guide to the FNS. I suggest reading that and following it.

But I really think its the ammo. When I first got my FNS I didn't follow the newbie guide but I did have better ammo for it. I have yet to experience a malfunction of any kind after shooting ~800 rounds. On the other hand I've had first hand experience from bad wally world ammo (more specifically winchester white box). It was my first time buying from them since they happen to be in stock for the first time since ever. I got .45 since that was all that was available and shooting through my HK USP it had FTFs, FTEs, and the mag falling out while shooting and some other wierd stuff thats never happened before. And the USP wasn't new, has had over 2,000 rounds through it with out a problem before from a previous family owner and another 1,000 from me. A quick google search and you'll see other people have had problems with wally world ammo too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It looks to me that you're not using the best ammo and your firing during the break in period of the FNS. These two could be contributing to your problems. There is a thread here about what to do for a new FNS, I think its called A Newbies guide to the FNS. I suggest reading that and following it.

But I really think its the ammo. When I first got my FNS I didn't follow the newbie guide but I did have better ammo for it. I have yet to experience a malfunction of any kind after shooting ~800 rounds. On the other hand I've had first hand experience from bad wally world ammo (more specifically winchester white box). It was my first time buying from them since they happen to be in stock for the first time since ever. I got .45 since that was all that was available and shooting through my HK USP it had FTFs, FTEs, and the mag falling out while shooting and some other wierd stuff thats never happened before. And the USP wasn't new, has had over 2,000 rounds through it with out a problem before from a previous family owner and another 1,000 from me. A quick google search and you'll see other people have had problems with wally world ammo too.
Uhhhh

no.

Stop blaming it on ammo, etc. You might as well accuse him of limp-wristing without actually being on location when he's shooting to witness it.

WWB works fine. The gun should be able to cycle through Brown Bear, Wolf, etc. It's an FN.

Contact FN customer service (Browning, good luck with that) and let them know the issue you've having.

Don't let people tell you you have to buy expensive ammo to break in your gun etc. The FNS in my experience is slightly oversprung; try using hotter ammunition in it.

However, if it is sufferent from failure to eject, the problem may be more of an ejector/extractor issue.

FYI I shoot WWB at 100 yards and it is accurate enough for my purposes, which is competition.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Follow the guide and you should be good to go but if you still have problems have an experienced shooter try the pistol with the ammo you are having problems with. This is a common problem with 9x19mm pistols using 115 gr ammo (non +P or +P+) during break-in or first use as the pistol must wear-in. See the guide for an example of a non FNH pistol having the same issue using 115 gr ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shouldn't have to buy +p ammo and waste extra money for it to work right a few hundred rounds later. All my other guns feed and fire wwb 115 just fine. Love the gun and i know its the the stiff recoil spring(pretty sure) so thats why i was wanting to try a glock set up in it. I know glock/s&w use the same set up and i saw people use glock springs in there fnx as well

·
Registered
480 Posts
You do not have to but factory 115 gr ammo is hit or miss during break-in of a pistol. If you read the newbie's guide I listed the ammo I used and it is 115gr but the first box was Herter's S&B 115 gr FMJ which is loaded hot and the second box was Herter's Blazer 115 gr TNJ (Federal Nyclad) that has the benefit of cleaning out copper (gilding metal) fouling. The locking back of the slide and manually working the slide and loading the magazines for a week helps break-in (wear-in) the pistol so I do not have any issues at the range. I have 500 rounds of AE 124 gr, 200 rounds of WIN 124 gr NATO, 100 rounds of Speer 147 gr and 100 rounds of AE 147gr but it is cheaper to use 115 gr ammo so I am saving the good stuff.

Note: My wife has made me promise to have 124 gr or 147 gr ammo on hand for when she goes to the range since she had problems with PMC 115 gr FMJ during her first range session with her SIG SP2022. I have brought her pistol to the range many times and used 115 gr each session without issue (to break-in the pistol) but she does not want anything to interrupt her range time (ie FTE, FTF). She even made me purchase 2 extra magazines and a reloader so she can shoot more; the benefit to me is I am not disturbed and I can focus on my range time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have never had problems with wwb 115grn in any other 9mm I have owned. And I have owned a lot. But I understand the recoil springs are overly stiff and need to be loosened up on the fns. Which makes prefect sense needing to run a hotter ammo. Hotter ammo = more slide velocity which in turn will help the spring break in sooner. Is it a pain in the ass, yes. But if all it takes is a couple boxes and leaving the slide locked back its not the end of the world. I hope it works out for ya and you can enjoy the bad ass pistol that it is!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I shouldn't have to buy +p ammo and waste extra money for it to work right a few hundred rounds later. All my other guns feed and fire wwb 115 just fine. Love the gun and i know its the the stiff recoil spring(pretty sure) so thats why i was wanting to try a glock set up in it. I know glock/s&w use the same set up and i saw people use glock springs in there fnx as well
Well go for it then big guy...would that make it a Flock?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well after taking my new fns-9 out shooting( i did rack the slide a ton before hand) it had tons of jams, even after 100+ rounds. The only ammo i have here to shoot is wally world 115gr. So that being said, has anyone tried a glock recoil spring or guide rod in theres? or have one laying around to measure? That way you can order different spring weights for diff ammo
Try a 124 or up bullet and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to give everyone a heads up, there will be stainless guide rods available with your choice of spring rates in the next two weeks from Galloway Precision

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just to give everyone a heads up, there will be stainless guide rods available with your choice of spring rates in the next two weeks from Galloway Precision
Probably work good for competition running light loads, but It sounds like just breaking her in with some good ammo will achieve reliability and be able to run whichever defensive load you want. I would much rather have her set up for some higher grain hollowpoints. Imho.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Probably work good for competition running light loads, but It sounds like just breaking her in with some good ammo will achieve reliability and be able to run whichever defensive load you want. I would much rather have her set up for some higher grain hollowpoints. Imho.
I do think you are right on both counts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been to a class with a brand new FNS using blazer aluminum cased ammo (cheap, 500+ rounds) with no problems. I have heard many people talk about break ins and such, but as far as i'm concerned a brand new pistol should shoot any factory loaded ammunition with no problems. Every pistol has it's favorite ammo, but a combat pistol should not be finicky like a custom 1911. I would check your grip, if thats good, look for faulty parts in the gun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my FNS-9 a couple weeks ago and have now put roughly 400 rounds through it without a single FTE, FTF, etc. I didn't work the slide as others here have recommended though I do keep the clips completely full while in storage between range visits. As for ammo I've been running mostly RAGE (Reffett Elite Firearms & Ammunition), which I've gotten from my LGS pretty cheap. Also a few boxes of reload stuff at my local range.

jmvoss, hope you figure out what's giving you the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good luck with your problem. I can't speak for the FNS-9 but my FNS-40 has swallowed everything I put through it. Where you buy the ammo doesn't have anything to do with the function in the weapon, only the manufacturer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts