FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

My girlfriend purchased FNS-9 with stainless slide, a safety, night sights and 17 round mags. We left the slide locked back for a few days. The night before going to the range I fully loaded all 3 mags and let them sit. The gun was cleaned and lubed also.

Range Report:

Reliability

%100. The pistol was fed about 100 rounds of WW 115grain fmj and 147grain fmj bullets.

Trigger:

HO boy! The heaviness of this trigger was a factor in how long I could go before taking a break to rest the trigger finger. Which meant that I switched to shooting my HS-2000. Strangely the heavy
trigger DID NOT affect the accuracy of this pistol! It was SCARY accurate. At ten yards most of a full mag disappeared into a 1.5 inch hole from standing position. The occasional called flyers opened the group up to 2.5 inches.
I do not have a trigger scale so I cannot say how heavy the pull weight is. I do know that the more that I dry fired it after the trip to the range the lighter it became. Still on the heavy side, but much better.

Sights:

The sights on this gun are some of the easiest to see and line up that I have seen on any pistol.

Grip:

With the aggressiveness of the raised area of the grip frame, this pistol will not be moving in your hand. AT ALL. Period! The Talon stick on grip is a very good idea for people who may have issue with the texture of the FNS-9. The "Feel" of this gun using the arched backstrap is as good as I have experienced in a polymer framed gun.

Overall:

Even With my limited range time with this gun I am comfortable saying "If the weight of the trigger pull can be lowered to that of the M&P, glocks and XDs (I have one of each) then those three companies will have their hands full fighting off the FNS-9."
I will be buying one of the black slide FNS-9 that have been reduced in price by FN.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Glad to hear you like it!

The one's I've tried (just dry firing), I've found a couple with relatively heavy triggers (guessing 7-8 pounds or so) and a couple that were lighter (5 pounds or so). Hopefully someone will come out with a spring kit or something to get a consistent weight trigger (4 pounds would be just about perfect IMO)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
How was the recoil in comparison to the other pistols in the group. I have a FNS-40 and a Glock 23 and have shot a Glock 22. The recoil on the FNS is amazing compared to the other two. And i'm in complete agreement as to the need for a trigger replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did not notice the recoil at all. The front sight just appeared to bounce and go right back on target. The girlfriend mentioned that she noticed a little more "snap" the FNS during recoil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The trigger spec in the manaul gives a range of 5.5 lbs to 7.7 lbs. I've noticed differences between guns. my older fns shows right at 6 lbs. I had no scales when it was new but it broke in about the 300 to 400 round mark. They new long slide I got to play with was sweet. The sear was narrower and cam angles different. I'm checking to see if I can get that trigger control group as an upgrade.

Your reviewcwas spot on IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love mine. One of the most underrated pistols ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts