FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm in the market for a new 9mm pistol that I could conceal carry and have a pistol to shoot matches with. I am looking at Fns 9 or the h&k vp9 when or if I can get my hands on one in the near future. I'm open to other suggestions as well in the 600 dollar or under price range.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You do realize that we are biased here, right? The FNS is a great gun and is a great value. The VP9 may be good but it is new and is going to have growing pains. It is also going for well above MSRP and will for at least 6 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait people are biased here? :smile: Well that's not totally true. I love scar 17 and fnx 45 but my newest toy to my collection was a Tavor for my first 223/556 rifle. So not everyone is all about FN on here. I like almost all things that go boom.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
FNS's can be found for $450 (and sometimes under), and it appears mags are getting cheaper (more practice ammo).

Haven't touch the new HK, so I can't comment other than I don't like its mag release. But that might just be me.

Reactions: MadRoofer_dmi

·
Registered
177 Posts
I find the FNS to be a bit large to carry in the summer. I did but an FNS-9 longslide specifically for IDPA and Steel Challenge. I used it during a SIG Academy pistol course and I think it's going to be perfect for competitive shooting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like my fns, and imo it was the nicest striker pistol. But if the h&k was out I would definitely have went with it. The trigger is nice and the grip when setup for you is amazing. Did not like the p30 but the vp9 is a really sweet gun. Best bet is hit up the range or find someone and shoot them both. If you are comfortable with carrying the vp9 with the trigger and no safety, I think you will prefer it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You do realize that we are biased here, right? The FNS is a great gun and is a great value. The VP9 may be good but it is new and is going to have growing pains. It is also going for well above MSRP and will for at least 6 months.
HA! What HK's have had growing pains? HK has the best RD department out there!

You cant really compare the FNS to a pistol that is just starting to hit the streets. I really think the HK will be the striker pistol to beat.

Yes, I have one ordered.

From what I have seen, the FNS trigger will be heavier. I also prefer the sights on the FNS. The FNS also has 2 extra rounds in the magazine and comes with an extra magazine. (unless you get the LE model) Obviously the FNS is cheaper.

You cannot go wrong with the FNS, but I do think the HK will be a better gun. I cannot wait to compare the 2.

·
Registered
177 Posts
HA! What HK's have had growing pains? HK has the best RD department out there!

You cant really compare the FNS to a pistol that is just starting to hit the streets. I really think the HK will be the striker pistol to beat.

Yes, I have one ordered.

From what I have seen, the FNS trigger will be heavier. I also prefer the sights on the FNS. The FNS also has 2 extra rounds in the magazine and comes with an extra magazine. (unless you get the LE model) Obviously the FNS is cheaper.

You cannot go wrong with the FNS, but I do think the HK will be a better gun. I cannot wait to compare the 2.
I can't wait for the VP40. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The FNS in black finish available here for $450. Great quality at a great price. How can you go wrong?

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's just the thing, you cannot go wrong with the fns. There is a lot of hype surrounding the vp9, and while there are a couple reviews supporting the hype, it's still somewhat unknown. I like the fns better than any striker 9 readily available. I have tried them all except the steyr m9a1 and xd. Can't even start to think about an xd either, they make a glock look beautiful.

Get the fns for now and save for the vp9.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vp9. Prices seem high and I see some places asking full MSRP for it so I might wait till next year to get it. Trigger seems to be best in its class and HK usually doesn't have growing pains like other manufacturers. It also uses widely available p30 mags. The FNS 9 is nice but FN has had issues with their handguns. Slide locking failures, DA failures due to heat or sun exposure, etc. The FNS trigger also seems to vary from gun to gun in pull weight and most seem to be stagey but with a nice crisp break and reset.

The Steyr m9 is a nice striker pistol too. Looks are polarizing and subjective. The trigger is very good. Not the best break, shortest reset or take up but overall a very solid trigger that does everything well. The trapezoidal sights are funky but I got used to it and actually like them now. Toss up between it and fns 9 as there are things I like and dislike about both.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is some food for thought....Is the 600-800 price tag justifiable for the HK? to some yes, to others no. Will you ever actually push either of these handguns to the point where that LITTLE extra the HK has will actually be noticeable and useful to you?

I say purchase the one you like and want the most. Realistically neither handgun is going to vastly outperform the other, despite what people say.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Vp9. Prices seem high and I see some places asking full MSRP for it so I might wait till next year to get it. Trigger seems to be best in its class and HK usually doesn't have growing pains like other manufacturers. It also uses widely available p30 mags. The FNS 9 is nice but FN has had issues with their handguns. Slide locking failures, DA failures due to heat or sun exposure, etc. The FNS trigger also seems to vary from gun to gun in pull weight and most seem to be stagey but with a nice crisp break and reset.

The Steyr m9 is a nice striker pistol too. Looks are polarizing and subjective. The trigger is very good. Not the best break, shortest reset or take up but overall a very solid trigger that does everything well. The trapezoidal sights are funky but I got used to it and actually like them now. Toss up between it and fns 9 as there are things I like and dislike about both.
I really want to try that Steyr.

·
Registered
261 Posts
since you want suggestions also, you could look into the Walther PPQ line of handguns. I just ordered one (M2) and plan on giving a full report on the gun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Overrated^^^ IMHO.

:-o

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input everyone. I have thought about the PPQ as I have heard it is a pretty good gun up in tell just now. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is a good gun, I just hate the sights and the trigger is far too light for me. To be honest, I would rather have a Glock 17. To me, the PPQ trigger is all fine and dandy, for people who dont put a lot of trigger time behind a gun. It is almost like a crutch. Almost any other striker gun is just as good, but just takes most a little longer to learn the trigger. Most people dont shoot enough.

I actually figured I would catch hell for that comment!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also am not a fan of the ergos of the ppq. I know everyone starts the p30 copied it stuff and now that the vp9 is out im sure thats next. But with all the options of panels on the p30 you can make it fit your hand real real nice. The ppq feels like if my hands were the correct size all would be well, but they do not mesh. Plus it has a more pronounced muzzle flip and felt recoil then similar striker guns. I agree on the trigger, too light for duty use. I seen many of accidental double taps and premature shots go off from it. The hk is light but has a lil different feel on the break to make it that much better. I still believe it should have a ambi safety option though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts