FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I plan to pick up a FNS 9 long slide for IDPA and other sport shooting.

Has anybody been able compare if there is an advantage to the silver or black slide, when picking up the front site quickly?

All my other guns (FNX 45T, Glock, etc) have black slides and I have not found a silver slide gun of this type to rent.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
I'll agree with the above. I also have the two-tone FNS-9. There's no discernible difference in sight acquisition from any other pistol I have.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
218 Posts
Same here. I sometimes wonder if I'm not just a touch quicker on my bi-tone FNS since my eye is naturally drawn to the black slide on the end of the stainless barrel, then up again from there to the sight dot.

For my brain, it's all about contrast.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll agree with the above. I also have the two-tone FNS-9. There's no discernible difference in sight acquisition from any other pistol I have.
This.

The other day at the range I shot my two-tone FNS-9, my Glock 19 and an M&P 9. There was no difference in picking up the sights. I really like the daylight sight picture of the FNS-9. Without doubt it has the best trigger of those three striker fired 9s, even though the Glock is a couple years old with a lot of rounds and dry fires under its belt.

My FNS-9 is the best polymer pistol I have ever owned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the bi-tone slide with night sites and its a great match for a self defense gun but I'll looking for a bit more precision as the sight picture required irritates the heck out of me.

Thinking about going with a red fiber optic front and black rear from Sevigny Performance.

FNS & FNX Competition Sights | Sevigny Performance
Thanks for your input.
i was thinking that a silver slide might help me pick up the front site, as I have had some trouble losing my sights when shooting inside with dark targets and target sights.
I've heard good things about the Sevigny rear sight, but some think the front fibre rod is a little small. Guess it depends on how old ones eyes are :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have one of each, the black one has the standard sights and the bare stainless one has the trijicon night sights, which i find much better for sight acquisition. I don't prefer the bare stainless just because it is more conspicuous, on the other hand, it's easier to tell when you have all your parts cleaned. Pro's and cons to both, but I tend to carry the black one. Even though it wears in the holster more visibly than the stainless, I prefer a little wear on my carry guns, so no biggie. If you're shooting in low light, a laser and a Tac light is really the way to go, but on sights alone the trijicon and bare stainless slide are easier to pick up in low light. Just some random thoughts on or near the subject.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your input.
i was thinking that a silver slide might help me pick up the front site, as I have had some trouble losing my sights when shooting inside with dark targets and target sights.
I've heard good things about the Sevigny rear sight, but some think the front fibre rod is a little small. Guess it depends on how old ones eyes are :)
I have too agree about the small fiber on the Sevigny front sights being a little small. Next time it needs to be replaced I will try to melt a slightly larger bulb of plastic. But it is well made. I use a Warren Tactical rear (sloped shoulders). Which I fine works great for me. This setup is on my steel gun (G22 converted to 9mm)

And silver Vs black upper make no differences in my shooting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts