FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm shooting an FNS 9 and I've noticed that it shoots low, and to the left. This is at about 10 yards.
I don't believe it is a trigger pull issue as I tested by bench resting the gun just to make sure.

Upon reading the user manual, there's a first time for everything!, I learned that the FNS 9's sights come from the factory zeroed to 20 yards.
20 yards (roughly 60 feet) seems a bit long for a pistol to be zeroed at, but FN is the expert here.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Are there reasonably priced adjustable sights that anyone can recommend?

I have an RMR red dot left over from another gun, is there a way to mount it without machining?

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Brian

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is actually a common problem here for new users...and don't take this as an affront to your manhood or firearms ability...but it's rarely the gun. It's more often our perception of the gun, since as Americans, we're conditioned to a different sight picture than the one FN uses. FN uses sight picture #3; if you're using anything other than that, you'll ALWAYS shoot low.

As for your FN, was it factory new or used? We've also had several members come along with questions about off-shooting with a used FNS only to find out that someone has monkeyed with the sights. If it's factory new, stranger things have happened than FN putting out a firearm with the sights a tiny bit off (though it doesn't happen often) and if it's a mechanical issue, FN does a more than fair job standing behind their products (though turnaround at the service center can be a bit slow.)

So...hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I guess "More info please?"

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Digitalis,

You bring up a good point, and the sight picture examples are helpful.
I shoot other guns regularly from competition to plinking, mostly 1911 platform, and use Sight Image 2 with consistent accuracy.
So, the difference of normally using SI2 compared to SI3 would account for the low point of impact.

I got the gun used, from a shop that had it on consignment, from the looks of it it had never been fired other than the test round. It likely had e few mags worth fired through it and a good cleaning but it does not look to be modified or tampered with in any way. So, the shooting to the left could be some misalignment of the front post or it could also simply be me, my grip on that particular gun or any other variable.

I can certainly appreciate FN using SI3, however I'm thinking that it would be nice to have SI2 for my own personal preference.

Do you or anyone know of aftermarket sights that are either adjustable or made to provide SI2 on an FNS?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Low left usually indicates to much trigger finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once I found it to be shooting off I tested zero fully supported from a table, supporting mag base and barrel. So, no way for it to be low based on trigger pull however I'll stay open minded to pulling left. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does your finger land on the trigger closer to the first knuckle or center of the pad on your finger? Which blackstrap are you using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shoot center pad of finger whenever possible, some guns towards the tip of finger if grip is too big. I stay away from the knuckle inherently by training, feels too weird with less control anyway.

I am using the slim backstrap I believe, I need to check.

I would still like to find an aftermarket solution that will provide Site Image #2, so that it feels naturally close to the other pistols I shoot. I'd rather not have to think about the sites.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try the larger backstrap. I would be willing to bet that pulls you back to center.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Miss read your last post but I'll leave this anyway. First question Ill ask is will FN do warranty work with replacement sights? If so your good.

I went thru something similar with a different firearm. First bit of advice I can give you is don't change the factory sights yet. FN may want your original sights if you do warranty work on it. I had a Taurus sent it in came back fixed, it's still a cheap firearm so I can't get bent out of shape too much. If the sights are off like mine was which was not a sight problem at all but the decking on the slide to barrel/lock was off by a hair which gave the barrel an downward attitude. Taurus milled the barrel and fixed it. Replaced my night sights with taller sights. I had after market sights that had to be removed and replaced with originals before a tester would even touch it. GL.

Reactions: thenihipali5

·
Registered
218 Posts
While I found the flat backstrap much more comfortable, I shoot much better with the curved; turns out my thumbs are double-jointed and dislocate a bit on recoil allowing the gun to rotate in my grip ever so slightly when I use the flat backstrap. End result was the same, though...I was shooting right (I'm a Southpaw.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for that digitalis, I was shooting low and found that I had to adjust to your sight image 3

I know it is nitpicking, but if I could, I, like overland, would like to have something relatively easy aftermarket, to get me that sight image 2 aim point.

Has anyone found an adjustable rear sight? that doesn't require machining?

Thanks,

Doc

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is common for many people who shoot striker fired pistols to shoot low and left. It is usually not the gun. (Though not impossible )

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have changed my mind. I don't want different sights.

After Digitalis told me I have $140 nuclear sights on my 40, I decided I can adjust my aim up :idea: .

I am perfectly lined up in regards to left/right, just hitting low when I revert to the sight image 2 that I am used to.

Might go ahead and set all my guns to sight image 3 now... just so I can get there automatically.

Doc

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is common for many people who shoot striker fired pistols to shoot low and left. It is usually not the gun. (Though not impossible )
That's the issue I discovered with my FNS-9. I have no issues shooting dead center on my FNX-45 but 9 out of 10 times on the FNS-9, I'm low center. Apparently, I'm dipping the pistol before pulling the trigger because of the longer trigger travel than the 45. After a couple of hundred rounds, I still can't seem to get in synch with the FNS and I'm at the point where I'm considering selling it. I don't have confidence in myself to use it for IDPA matches so I'm using the 45.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's the issue I discovered with my FNS-9. I have no issues shooting dead center on my FNX-45 but 9 out of 10 times on the FNS-9, I'm low center. Apparently, I'm dipping the pistol before pulling the trigger because of the longer trigger travel than the 45. After a couple of hundred rounds, I still can't seem to get in synch with the FNS and I'm at the point where I'm considering selling it. I don't have confidence in myself to use it for IDPA matches so I'm using the 45.
I was a little flustered at first with the trigger as well. However I have done massive amounts of shooting double action, so I got used to it fast and not had a problem with shooting left/right. Now I just automatically take up the "slack" in the trigger, before taking the shot and I am hitting nothing but bulls (after adjusting to digitalis' sight image 3 of course).

But, if you are set on getting rid of it, where are you? I will be happy to come take it off your hands.. wont give you full price mind you :?

Doc

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was a little flustered at first with the trigger as well. However I have done massive amounts of shooting double action, so I got used to it fast and not had a problem with shooting left/right. Now I just automatically take up the "slack" in the trigger, before taking the shot and I am hitting nothing but bulls (after adjusting to digitalis' sight image 3 of course).

But, if you are set on getting rid of it, where are you? I will be happy to come take it off your hands.. wont give you full price mind you :?

Doc
I think I'm getting there. I just picked up an EA Witness steel version for my range's IPDA matches and I've really fallen for the FN Five Seven.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Update. I've actually gotten better with the FNS-9. Sight picture 3 on the first page plus a cautious trigger pull as the travel is longer than hammer fired trigger is the key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still have this problem with my FNS-9

The issue is that we like our guns to do what we want our guns to do. I can adjust where I hold anytime I am trying another pistol, and I can get used to a quirk of a gun.

However...

That is still not addressing the issue. I want the gun to do what I want the gun to do. Adjusting the point of aim should not be something I get used to on a gun I intend to use often. This is true in the FNS-9 especially, I understand combat sighs, and I don't want them. Particularly if I want to see at what I am aiming. Combat sights have a tendency to cover up the target.. and aiming for the hanger as opposed to the 10 ring at 7 yards is something I do not want to get used to in my gun of choice.

So, to answer your question, I have recently heard that Smith and Wesson M&P sights actually fit the front sight base of the FNS series pistols. I am waiting for confirmation. But if that is true, you will have a vast catalog of sights ranging from inexpensive but the height you want, to high end sights not yet produced for the FNS series. Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts