FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for upgrading the sights on an FNS9 from 2013 (listed the year bc I don't know if newer ones have different sights)?? I'm really not a fan of the "combat hold" sights with a large front dot that came with my gun and looking to upgrade. Still going to stay with iron sights, I'd just like either a combat hold with a much smaller front dot, or something that's a center hold instead.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I never had dissatisfaction or as much confusion with my weapons sights until I started using FN's. All my FNS pistols are a combat hold that requires me to cover the target. My 509M not so much. I hate the modern notion of covering up the bad guy and prefer a 6 o'clock hold myself.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Perhaps an explanation of a combat sight picture is in order. In combat with a handgun you generally do not have the luxury of time. The focus is on the front sight only, you place the front sight on the target and fire. There is no faster and more accurate sight acquisition than a combat hold keeping in mind precision fire is not the goal, neutralization of a threat is. A combat sight picture is not the setup recommended for precision target shooting. Having been shooting handguns for decades trained in many styles along with having been trained by Uncle Sam and can attest to the fact that there is simply no faster or more accurate sight picture for CQB, PERIOD!!

If what you're seeking is a target sight picture you should take a look at Trijicon HD irons or those made by numerous other manufacturers. But remember FN Herstal makes combat weapons not target with their focus on military customers not civilian.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well..... Other than 4 years boarding Russian trawlers in the USCG, my combat training was from 25 years of law enforcement. The act of completely covering the perp/target is a foolish act. No wonder FN can't get a LE contract.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Well..... Other than 4 years boarding Russian trawlers in the USCG, my combat training was from 25 years of law enforcement. The act of completely covering the perp/target is a foolish act. No wonder FN can't get a LE contract.
All due respect, a USCG boarding party is not combat, 25 or 50 or 75 years in LE is not CQB. You haven't so much as a small clue of what you're talking about. FN does not need an LE contract nor do I believe they seek them. All combat personnel aka Warfighters who are authorized to carry sidearms are taught to focus on the front sight covering their target then fire. CQB is far different from LE, perhaps some tactical or SWAT training and you would have known that. Go to any advanced pistol training school/class and they will happily confirm in combat with a handgun which in most -not all- cases means things went South a combat sight picture can be that split-second difference between the Good Guy going home or the Bad.

For clarifications sake 6 years with the 1st Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment exclusively involved in drug interdiction gives me a pretty good idea and the real world experience how to properly AND successfully engage a threat with a sidearm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not trying to throw a wet blanket on anyone but "precision fire" with an FNS may be a nice goal, but my limited experience with 4 FNS pistols/slide kits makes me believe it's just a nice goal. They seem to be about where my Glock pistols have been with group size.

But I do carry the 4" FNS .40 and the Glock .357 SIG and .40 "sleep" in the gun safe, so I still pick the FNS over the Glock.

Oh, all my FNS pistols still have the original sights, so I can't help with aftermarket sight suggestions. If I get one of them to shoot to suit me it'll get a red dot and then I'll upgrade the back up iron sights.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you SeaMac for putting me in my place with your 6 whole years of sitting at the Curacao airport with Air Force pleebs and taking a few joy rides in a bird. My point was FN lost their bid. If they want those of us who have a different need than those who rejected them......maybe a change in their sight picture is in order. I pity all those Don Julios who were trying to surrender to you but you couldn't tell since you completely covered them in cool movie fashion. But hey.... Thank you more for reminding me why I don't frequent this forum anymore and why any man under 60 is an idiot.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
And my point is FN makes military weapons if a consumer wishes a precision target pistol options are available as are different iron sights. As for an idiot well, I must simply reject your reality and replace it with my own. As for USAF pleebs or Curacao, not sure I follow 1/75 air taxi is 160th as for Curacao, never been, my parents went said it was nice. You should visit more just be sure to have your facts in order, you've come here before with similar non-factual claims it is what it is...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thank you SeaMac for putting me in my place with your 6 whole years of sitting at the Curacao airport with Air Force pleebs and taking a few joy rides in a bird. My point was FN lost their bid. If they want those of us who have a different need than those who rejected them......maybe a change in their sight picture is in order. I pity all those Don Julios who were trying to surrender to you but you couldn't tell since you completely covered them in cool movie fashion. But hey.... Thank you more for reminding me why I don't frequent this forum anymore and why any man under 60 is an idiot.
Don't know where your comments about Curacao airport or Air Force pleebs came from, but the 75th Ranger Regiment is part of the US Special Operations Command, and considered one of the most elite of elite U.S. military units. The air unit the 75th works with is the army's 160th Aviation Battalion.

Note: The 3rd Battalion of the 75th, and the 160th Aviation Battalion were the units about which the book and movie Black Hawk Down was based. Smaller groups from the Regiment could get thrown into just about anything that needed a quick response. Some of the drug interdiction mentioned could have taken place in Afghanistan.

From Wikipedia:

The 75th Ranger Regiment, is an elite special operations force that is a combat deployable unit in the United States Army Special Operations Command The Regiment is headquartered at Fort Benning, Georgia and is composed of a headquarters company, one special troops battalion and three Ranger battalions.

The 75th Ranger Regiment is the U.S. Army's premier light infantry unit, with specialized skills that enable them to perform a variety of operations. Their primary operations are to execute direct action raids in hostile or sensitive environments worldwide, often killing or capturing high value targets. Besides direct action raids, their other missions include: Airfield seizure, special reconnaissance, personnel recovery, clandestine insertion, and site exploitation.The Regiment can deploy one Ranger battalion within 18 hours of alert notification.

Ranger Qualification is a more arduous and dangerous undertaking than many well-trained and exceptional soldiers can cope with. One friend (a Green Beret/Special Forces trooper) broke his ankle late in the last week of the 12-week program and said "screw it -- I don't need THAT again." He was NOT a wimp, and later saw a lot of combat during his time in service.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I appreciate the backup Walt but it's unnecessary 0119 has for years made claims and comments that have no basis in fact. I'm also sure he's confused about Rangers while there are some USAF personnel wearing the tab only those who serve or have served in the 75th wear the scroll. Correct you are our air taxi service is the 160th S.O.A.R. Now as for our eliteness, we're just soldiers who take on a little more than the average but we certainly see action at a higher rate than the average. The drug interdiction mentioned was long before "fun" in the sandbox more Central and South America jungle unpleasantness. I am happy to report that in less than 4 years I won't be an idiot anymore...

I apologize to the OP for derailing the thread in such an inappropriate manner. I do believe it is important to have a full understanding of different sight pictures as it can be frustrating to shoot something different. I am also a firm believer that whatever sight picture you are most comfortable with is what all your pistols should have. During a moment of high stress what you are used to is what you will revert to, no need for sight confusion in that moment. Again, I apologize for derailing your thread and best of luck to you...

SMB

1/75 11B2V 84 - 90

RLTW

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I'll check out the Trijicon HD irons. Thanks!
You're welcome! The HD's have a thinner front post making it easier to view your target. As far as I'm aware Triji uses a 6 O'clock hold sight picture but you might want to call them to confirm, they do have excellent customer service. I do apologize for the derailment and drama. Tight groups!!

Reactions: Tbfnski

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as iron sights go, I know there's Trijicon and Dawson Precsion. I think there's only one adjustable rear sight out there, but it looks kind of odd IIRC.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a good buddy in college who was with the SF unit (reserves) at Huntington, WV. Or at least they flew out of Huntington when they spent a jumping into Alaska, Puerto Rico, FL or some place in Central America.

He went through Special Forces training just like the regular army guys did when he was in back in the last 70's/early 80's.

I talked him into going to Ranger School one summer between semesters. He spent extra time getting in extra good shape (putting rocks in his ruck sack and walking/jogging/running the mountain trails around the college during the spring semester.

When he came back from Ranger School I almost didn't recognize him. He'd lost so much weight it looked like his pants were about to fall off and he was swimming in his shirts.

And he told me he'd like to kick my ass for talking him into that. He did admit it was good training with some different perspectives/techniques from what he was used to. Wonder where he's at now???

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Total derailment of this thread is complete. I can tell you FL (Rudder) Phase is a whole new level of Suck. I was fortunate to have grown up within 20 minutes of the Everglades and frequently hunted in Holey Land so I was used to the swamp. Most of the guys in my squad were from South Florida which played a large role in our selection for drug interdiction, we were already acclimated to brutal heat and oppressive humitidy which is abundant in the jungle. Ft. Sherman was a level of SUCK all its own though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts