FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased FNS9 and so far I am liking it. I am still in the process of breaking it in. So far 230 rounds through and not a single malfunction. However, I noticed something that has more with looks than function. After range trip I have stripped the gun cleaned it and reassembled it. When completing final wipe down, I have noticed that slide and frame do not align flush at the rear of the pistol. I mean, it is on straight and everything but minuscule part of rear rail is visible. It looks like slide is forward by 1 millimeter. Few days ago I have checked another FNS at the store and that one was aligned flush in the back. I looked at some pictures/videos and some of FNS I have seen are fully aligned/flush and some are not. At this point I don't think it is an issue since gun functions flawlessly. And I don't want to send it to the FN if I don't have to. So I am wondering if others experienced similar issue of the slide not being completely flush with the frame at the back.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The rear rail on my FNP-9 sticks out just a hair (enough to be able to feel it), my FNX 45 tac, the rails are a bit further in. I don't have an FNS, so not an apples to apples comparison though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
...mine is the same way, was that way right out of the box. Due the methods of construction and materials, you will have some slight variations between the metal & composite materials. As long as it is functioning as designed and you aren't having issues, shouldn't be any rason to be concerned unless you're a fanatic about aesthetics. If you are, then a custom 1911 or similar all-metal based handgun is what you should consider as they can be contoured and matched to an extreme degree....for the bucks you'll pay too :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...mine is the same way, was that way right out of the box. Due the methods of construction and materials, you will have some slight variations between the metal & composite materials. As long as it is functioning as designed and you aren't having issues, shouldn't be any rason to be concerned unless you're a fanatic about aesthetics. If you are, then a custom 1911 or similar all-metal based handgun is what you should consider as they can be contoured and matched to an extreme degree....for the bucks you'll pay too :?
Just got back from the range. Shot another 300 rounds. Gun was as accurate a I would let it :smile:. Plus there was no malfunctions. So, so far I have over 500 rounds through it and not a single malfunction. So I guess I will stop worrying and start to really enjoy the gun.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just got back from the range. Shot another 300 rounds. Gun was as accurate a I would let it :smile:. Plus there was no malfunctions. So, so far I have over 500 rounds through it and not a single malfunction. So I guess I will stop worrying and start to really enjoy the gun.
The slide on mine (with about 500 rounds) is a smidgen forward. I don't see this as a problem... will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If it were my gun, I'd contact FN, tell them what you've told us, share the pictures, and let them decide if your gun missed a quality control check.

If they say it's ok -- based on their experience and your lack of functional problems -- I'd not worry about it. (The only issue you might ever have is if you want to sell the gun, it might look funny to a prospective buyer.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it were my gun, I'd contact FN, tell them what you've told us, share the pictures, and let them decide if your gun missed a quality control check.

If they say it's ok -- based on their experience and your lack of functional problems -- I'd not worry about it. (The only issue you might ever have is if you want to sell the gun, it might look funny to a prospective buyer.)
I will take to the range few more times to see if anything pops up. If 1000 thousand round trigger job goes with out any hiccups, I will stop worrying about it. If the gun functions, don't want to deal with shipping of it. I don't get home until late, so shipping a firearm is a hassle. Did it once and don't wan to deal with it again if I don't have to :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts