FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post here, but have been lurking for a few weeks. picked up an FNX45T to go along with my osprey a few weeks ago and love it.

picked up an FNS9 a few days ago. i have 250 rounds thru it so far and i love the grip angle, grip texture, the mag release, the way it's cut under the trigger guard, basically, i love all the ergos.

but...to me...it has very snappy recoil. i was wondering if the FNS9L with a slightly heavier slide would tame this a little.

i have tried looking this up with google, but only found threads from a few years ago. does anyone have both that can give some insight?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi there, I see your in pittsburgh, im in washington!
I got one 2 weeks ago and have 1000rds thru it and did a few mods to it already, I ordered a replacement fns40 recoil spring and clipped a few coils off to lighten the spring so the gun stays flatter and doesnt dip the barrel when the slide dips back to battery as well as modifying the trigger and polishing feed ramp, slide breach face and a few other internal parts and it deffinately has a softer recoil impulse and I absolute piss lead out of it fast and accurate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The FNS9 has snappy recoil? I have a Beretta 92FS and my wife's FNS9 has about half the recoil of my Beretta. For that matter her Walther PK380 has more recoil than than an FNS9. The FNS9 hands down has the best action, comfort, and all around ease of use of any hand gun I have ever used. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but have you considered trying a 22?

And to the other fella who posted he bought a 40 cal spring and clipped some of the spring off. You do realize you basically took a 40 cal spring and turned it into a 9mm spring right? And by modifying the other parts inside you basically destroyed your warranty as well. There is nothing, with the exception of the grips that should ever be tampered with on this weapon. The FNS9 is as close to a perfect hand gun as you are probably ever going to find on the market anywhere, from anyone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I took my polymer 9mm handguns to the range together and shot them 125 rounds each. Those pistols are:

Glock Gen 4 Model 19:
Smith & Wesson M&P-9
FNS-9

The M&P and the FNS are very recent acquisitions and this was the first chance I had to shoot them beyond a quick function fire. People perceive recoil differently, but to me they are all soft shooters. There were differences in how they felt in recoil. The Glock had the most recoil, the M&P the least with the FNS a very close second to the Smith. In handling the guns, the M&P feels slightly top heavy like the slide weighs more than the FNS or Glock slides. If so that may explain why its recoil feels lighter. Or maybe not.

I also have a Beretta 92 that I have owned and shot for 20 years. Can't say its recoil is noticeable but I'll take it out next time and shoot it side by side with my FNS. Since I have owned and shot .45s so much over the years I may be more tolerant of recoil that a person who only shoots 9mm. By the way, hands down winner in the good trigger contest between those three polymer 9s is the FNS. It's the best striker fired trigger I have owned.

OP, maybe just putting more rounds down range will help adjust to your new FNS. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
^ pretty much what this gent said. Round count should help. The 9mm will not normally sting you by any means maybe unless in a sub compact. A longer slide might actually give a bit more barrel flip. Really the only thing affected by recoil should be getting the front sight back down on target in a controllable timely manner.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Seriously, you're complaining about recoil of the 9mm in a full size gun? There are lots of things one can complain on the FNS 9mm, recoil shouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The FNS9 has snappy recoil? I have a Beretta 92FS and my wife's FNS9 has about half the recoil of my Beretta. For that matter her Walther PK380 has more recoil than than an FNS9. The FNS9 hands down has the best action, comfort, and all around ease of use of any hand gun I have ever used. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but have you considered trying a 22?
this is not my first pistol by any means. so a 22 to "start on" was 25 years ago (damn i'm getting old!).

A couple of weeks ago I took my polymer 9mm handguns to the range together and shot them 125 rounds each. Those pistols are:

Glock Gen 4 Model 19:
Smith & Wesson M&P-9
FNS-9

The M&P and the FNS are very recent acquisitions and this was the first chance I had to shoot them beyond a quick function fire. People perceive recoil differently, but to me they are all soft shooters. There were differences in how they felt in recoil. The Glock had the most recoil, the M&P the least with the FNS a very close second to the Smith. In handling the guns, the M&P feels slightly top heavy like the slide weighs more than the FNS or Glock slides. If so that may explain why its recoil feels lighter. Or maybe not.

I also have a Beretta 92 that I have owned and shot for 20 years. Can't say its recoil is noticeable but I'll take it out next time and shoot it side by side with my FNS. Since I have owned and shot .45s so much over the years I may be more tolerant of recoil that a person who only shoots 9mm. By the way, hands down winner in the good trigger contest between those three polymer 9s is the FNS. It's the best striker fired trigger I have owned.

OP, maybe just putting more rounds down range will help adjust to your new FNS. Best of luck to you.
my M&P pro, i'm kicking it to the curb. i don't really like it. it doesn't fit my hand at all when shooting. it does seem to shoot flatter with less muzzle flip for me than my glock, but i shoot my glock better.

the fns just seems to snap and bark more compared to my 19 and 34. to me, the fns recoils a lot like a 40 or a small 9; 26, xd-s, 938, shield. i have had them all and have settled on the shield.

as far as being less tolerant because i only shoot 9, i wouldn't say that is true for me. i did an accuracy test 2 months ago with my 4 1911s and ran 400 rounds (100 each) of 45 in about 2 hours. i was testing mag brands and ammo brands in 4 different 1911s. so i wouldn't say i need to start on a 22 or that i am intolerant of recoil.

Seriously, you're complaining about recoil of the 9mm in a full size gun? There are lots of things one can complain on the FNS 9mm, recoil shouldn't be one of them.
i have no complaints with the gun at all. not really complaining about recoil either, just an observation i had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was actually being a smarta** with the 22 comment. In all seriousness, the FNS9 would have to be firing 250 grain rounds to have any really noticable recoil. Maybe I am just a used to bigger guns that actually kick like a mule and think the FNS9 has no recoil....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was actually being a smarta** with the 22 comment. In all seriousness, the FNS9 would have to be firing 250 grain rounds to have any really noticable recoil. Maybe I am just a used to bigger guns that actually kick like a mule and think the FNS9 has no recoil....

Shooting it back to back with a gen 4 g19 it certainly has more snap/flip/bite in stock config no question or what version is it the sig 229 or 226 my buddy has, much softer slower impulse as well, the lockup on the gun is to slow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shooting it back to back with a gen 4 g19 it certainly has more snap/flip/bite in stock config no question or what version is it the sig 229 or 226 my buddy has, much softer slower impulse as well, the lockup on the gun is to slow
the 19 has more snap or the FNS? i haven't shot my 19 back to back with the FNS yet. the 226 is probably the one you are thinking of.

·
Registered
480 Posts
first post here, but have been lurking for a few weeks. picked up an FNX45T to go along with my osprey a few weeks ago and love it.

picked up an FNS9 a few days ago. i have 250 rounds thru it so far and i love the grip angle, grip texture, the mag release, the way it's cut under the trigger guard, basically, i love all the ergos.

but...to me...it has very snappy recoil. i was wondering if the FNS9L with a slightly heavier slide would tame this a little.

i have tried looking this up with google, but only found threads from a few years ago. does anyone have both that can give some insight?
Yes, the FNS-9L has less recoil and greater accuracy than the FNS-9/FNX-9. The FNS-9L has more weight in the muzzle (weight forward), greater pistol weight, longer sight picture but the pistol has a longer barrel so there is increased fps/ft-lbs so there is a trade-off. Bottom line the FNS-9L is more accurate than a FNS-9/FNX-9, as for recoil unless a person is using +P+ ammunition the recoil is tame but a steel pistol will have less perceived recoil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can only speak for the 40's but the long slide shoots flatter than the 4" version. I don't think the 4" has anymore felt recoil than a Glock 23.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts