FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went thru 275 rounds in break in session.....100 each of 115grn fmj wwb & federal. 75 of remington hollow pts. No failures to fire or eject. Was very pleased with 17 rd and 12 rd flush mags. 12 rd extended-finger mag would not lock back slide with either fmj or hp's. Anyone else have this issue? Prior to break in, I had all 3 mags loaded full for 2 wks to break in mag springs. Gun shoots fricken ragged hole from 7 yds! After session, field strip for cleaning was a breeze.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Prior to my first range session, I disassembled all my mags and noticed a bit of a nub on the back of the followers.
I shaved them off and fired 220 uneventful rounds.
I don't know if this actually helped, but I did not experience any failure to achieve slide lock.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Failure to lock back is generally due to

1) weak mag springs [not likely with a new gun],

2) the wrong follower that doesn't nudge the slide stop [not likely with a new gun],

3) something the shooter is doing, like inadvertently nudging the slide stop lever -- possible with some guns, but easily done with my FNS-40s, or

4) if the mags have been disassembled and reassembled, putting the spring back in turned around so that the front of the follower isn't properly supported. That could keep it from nudging the slide stop.

There may be other causes that don't immediately come to mind. In this case, it doesn't sound like a GUN issue, but it could be a mag or shooter issue.

As noted above, check your grip before looking for other solutions. Also disassemble the problem mag and see that the spring and follower has been properly installed. The parts diagram should shown the proper orientation of the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts