FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my FNS 9C from a Gunbroker auction today. Looks great feels like my other FNSs. Surprisingly the shorter grip has a perceived "fatter " feel, but still comfortable. My longslide felt really slim after dry firing the compact.

Did not make it to the range today because the kids made it home before I could finish getting it clean and lubed, but have some things I will definitely be working on at the range.

-The extended mag catches on my palm and does not drop free because of the shorter back strap. The short mags do not have this problem.

-The shorter mag release requires me to do the 1911 flip to get the mag catch fully depressed or I can use my index finger with no problem. I will probably just switch to the regular mag catch since it works so well for me on all of my other FNSs without shifting my grip.

-The trigger seems to be a little heavier, but I was able to do the dime and bullet case drills with absolutely no problem. We will see if I snatch the trigger at the range.

Those are the only glaring things that I could see causing a problem so far. Heading to the range first thing in the morning.

Trying to post pics of how the gun sits in my hand with the different mags, but I can't get it to work from my phone. Oh well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no night sights. The more I study, the more I'm becoming a flashlight and fiber optic guy. The sight picture is a little tighter than the long slide, but I figure that is because of the reduced length barrel. I'm going to go fiber optic or just black out my rear sight. Over 40 and my eyes just do not do the 3 dot sight very well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice! I went to the range today to try the FNS-9 they had. It turned out that also had the FNS-9C that just came in last week. I thought it was a very good gun. Of course it doesn't shoot quite as easily as it's bigger brethren, it does very well. I found the trigger to be quite good; with a crisp break, and short and easily felt reset. You won't be disappointed. It is a very good looking gun to boot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made it to the range today and put about 350 rounds through the FNS9C and it was freaking amazing. Great gun, just as accurate as my long slide if I was taking my time and working on my trigger control.

My perceptions:
- The flat base magazine is no problem. I did notice it was very uncomfortable in my left hand, then realized the base pad was hitting my wedding ring and it was causing a little sting during recoil.

- Once I realized that the recoil is very manageable (really about the same as the long slide) my flinch response started to calm down and my accuracy improved greatly. The double recoil spring is really nice, and helps make this gun really easy to shoot.

- The trigger is great, just like every other FNS out there. I have no trouble with any of my triggers.

- I have to black out the rear sights. The two bright white dots on the rear sight really slows down my sight acquisition. I guess because of the shorter barrel the front sight really takes up almost the entire notch of the rear sight. Will definitely be looking into a more narrow front sight for this gun.

- Absolutely zero FTE or FTF and the slide locked back on every last round. I guess my grip is finally getting better about keeping my thumb off of the slide stop.

- I will definitely either have to change out the magazine release or start using my index finger to activate the magazine release. The mag release is too flush for me and I just can not get it to work without very deliberate actions so this is something I will have to train for in the future.

At the end of my session I did the Larry Vickers trigger control check and put 15 rounds within the 9 ring of the NRA target at 3 yards. If you take your time the gun is extremely accurate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am glad to hear your fns9c is doing great also. Mine has been flawless except for a few failures to lock back but I'm sure it was just weak ammo and the heavy recoil spring I think it will go away in a few more rounds. I also have a hard time with the may release without changing my grip. mine is also very accurate and the trigger broke in really nice

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm out and about carrying my compact in an OWB holster for my regular FNS 9 until Blackpoint Tactical finishes making my IWB for it, and this little gun disappears under a sweatshirt. The shorter grip makes a huge difference in concealment. I didn't think it would be this drastic of a difference, but it is great. None of the coffee drinkers have a clue. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts