FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been researching and shooting different 9mm handguns and finally decided on the FNS 9c as my CCW gun. This is also my first striker fired handgun.

Now I’ve had some time at the range here is what I’ve noticed and think.

First, I am a left handed shooter and for 30 some years I have been compensating using a middle finger drop back for the mag release. This new ambidextrous thing has me a little off and now it’s hard to stop the old habit. That being said, when I use my thumb for the mag release, the base plate catches on the palm of my hand (size 12 hands) and the mag doesn’t drop. When I use my old way of dropping the mag with my middle finger while pulling out another with my right hand, I move the base of my palm just enough for a clean, fast mag drop. So, old habits here are best here I guess.
I have read a lot about the mag release on this gun and the problems people have had. Mine has had none of these problems. It drops a mag just as fast and with almost as much force as my 1911.
My first 50 rounds, I took getting used to the gun and the POA with slow firing and taking a while. Everything came together when I just occluded the target with my front sight like many have suggested on this sight (thanks to all for that one). The sights: I really like the FN 3 dot fixed sight. The front sight dot is very big and I like that. On my 1911 I have a combat black rear sight and I have my front sight painted white. I didn’t even notice the two dots on the rear of the FNS 9c. Perhaps my eye is trained to focus on the front sight. I ordered a pair of night sights from FNH and now I’m not sure I want to put them on since I shoot so well with the stock 3 dot.
Ok, so I don’t practice like most people. I try to think of defense situations and practice like I was in an IDPA match or being attacked by a Grizzly (hey, I do live in Wyoming, I’ve had some close calls with Grizzlies). So after getting very good groupings at 7 yards, I started practicing quick draws from a holster, double taps and rapid firing. Wow, this gun has a great trigger. It’s reading just around 5.2lbs on the timney scale and I can tell it’s just a bit more than my 3.5lb trigger on the 1911. The point and shoot character of this gun matches my 1911. I was hitting dead center on double taps; love it. Plates at 15yds were dropping with no problems.
So I put 225 rounds through the FNS 9c my first day on the range. No FTF, no FTLB like a lot of people on here have had issues. I used 200 rounds of Winchester 124gr NATO and 25 rounds in various combinations of Buffalo Bore 124gr +p JHP and +p+ penetrator rounds. I like using buffalo bore for my carry rounds. And, I use the Buffalo Bore 45acp +p 255gr hard cast for my forest round. Gotta have something that will crush a bear skull in Wyoming.
I find carrying the gun to be very comfortable. Ok, I’ve been carrying a 1911 for years but before that I would carry a CZ P-01 in cities. The FNS 9C is much lighter than the CZ and the ½” difference in total length does make a huge difference IMO.
My current carry holster is the Blade-Tech IWB soft holster. Not a big fan of it but it’s ok. I ordered an aliengear IWB holster a few weeks ago and hopefully that will be as good as all the reviews say. Anyway, easy to carry, light, doesn't print with a decent shirt.
I would recommend this gun to anyone for a concealed carry. I'm very happy with the striker fire and I feel the ergonomics are perfect for my big hands.

As I've said on some other posts here, I bought this gun from bud's gun shop online and used the cash option, make a bid. Paid $458 plus $5 for insured shipping; total $463. Will be happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Nice review! Good to hear it's running well for you.

Did you do anything to the trigger (like polish it) to get it 5.2 lbs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dan,

No, I didn't do anything to the trigger. Picked it up from my LGS, went to the range, cleaned the gun as per the manual's instructions, shot, cleaned again, went back to LGS and had him test it. I think I just got one of the good ones.

I've been looking at FN for a long time and this is my first one. I have to say "out of box" with no mods this is the best handgun I've ever bought. I always think of 1911s as "works in progress" until you get it exactly like you want. I am still working on my 1911. With my CZ-P01, I had CZCustom do a lot of work on it over the years, so in a way like my 1911.

I'm not going to do any mods to the FNS 9C. I'm amazed by how great of a shooter it is. There is a little more recoil/muzzle jump with the +p+ rounds but after changing my grip a little, it was completely manageable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's nice to see they molded in a ski jump over the mag catch bar for smooth mag insertions. I know it was a problem on some other models with mags jamming during insertion. I just picked up a NMS/Nightsight version and put a few hundred rounds through it. No problems what-so-ever, and a very nice trigger for a striker fire. Can't wait for the mag accessories to catch up to sales of the gun.

-Mike

FNS 9C.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts