FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made it to the range this morning, what a beautiful day too, sunny and about 65 degrees.
I brought the following ammo and listed the amount of each fired, total was 165 rounds fired.
American Eagle 147 gr FMJ 50 rounds
Speer Lawman 124 gr FMJ 25 rounds
Black Hills 115 gr FMJ 20 rounds
124 gr JHP 20 rounds
124 gr +P JHP 20 rounds
Federal HST 147 gr JHP 10 rounds
124 gr +P JHP 10 rounds
Speer Gold Dot G2 147 gr JHP 10 rounds
The gun was flawless, I did not have any issues at all. I found recoil to be pretty mild and since this gun has a high bore axis there didnt seem to be a lot of muzzle flip. I fired from the 7, 10 and 15 yard line and saw no appreciable difference in accuracy, the gun shot point of aim, point of impact was right where I put the front sight, unless I screwed up and threw a round the gun did what it was designed to do and it was 100% perfect.
I cant say I found anything negative about this gun but if I really had to nit pick I'd say the stippling is a just a tad coarse. It never really hurts your hand and you do get a good grip with it, maybe the best way to put it would be to say its aggressive and you know its there. In my opinion, as a comparison, it is better than the Springfield XDs, I hated the grips on that gun. I plan to put a set of Talon grips ( Rubber ) on it so that should alleviate the rough texture.
I tried both back straps and found the larger one that came on the gun more comfortable, the smaller one was to flat.
The gun is well made, comfortable to shoot and very accurate, you cant ask for more than that. Hope this helps. J L

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same to report here. Just got mine in a few days ago. I have a range in my back yard, but because of my heavy schedule I have only been able to slip out and shoot it a few times so far. I agree that the stippling is aggressive and I thought that would be an issue out of the box, but after just under a hundred rounds, I've decided that I like the aggressive texture very much. Accuracy is fantastic. I like that FNH took the best design characteristics of popular guns on the market today and integrated them all into one handgun. The large front dot sight is easy to acquire (although I did drip a little hunters orange nail polish to enhance it even more), the controls are all just about the right size and in perfect position. The mag release button was a little tough to get used to the first couple of times because it is recessed a bit more than normal, but I got it figured out now. Mags drop free with no issue. Very little muzzle flip and felt recoil is very light. I chose the flat back strap as I found it more comfortable for my average sized hands. The gun ate every round I fed it with zero issues and appeared to be hungry for more.

Overall, I have nothing but good to say about the FNS 9c and it will replace my Glock as the safe room gun once I get my wife and kids comfy with it. (I have two left handers in the house, so on top of being a fabulous gun, it solves the problem of left hand controls...Bonus!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grey.Ghost
Nice to see your FNS was as reliable as mine, so far that seems to be the trend. I gather from what you said about your sights that they are white dot. I have night sights on mine, it too has a large front sight but I think the rear sights should have been a bit bigger. I would have preferred white dots, since age has affected my vision slightly I seem to pick up the white 3 dot sights a bit better, my LGS only had 2 FNS 9mm in stock, both had NS and no manual safety. J L

·
Registered
36 Posts
John Law
Yes, it came with regular white dot. I'm hoping to see some I-dots in orange in the near future as I like those most, but these are just fine. No safety on mine either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Grey.Ghost
Nice to see your FNS was as reliable as mine, so far that seems to be the trend. I gather from what you said about your sights that they are white dot. I have night sights on mine, it too has a large front sight but I think the rear sights should have been a bit bigger. I would have preferred white dots, since age has affected my vision slightly I seem to pick up the white 3 dot sights a bit better, my LGS only had 2 FNS 9mm in stock, both had NS and no manual safety. J L
I had the same issue as you -- but then I noticed that the night-sights on the FNX-45 Tactical were sooooo much better -- those rear sights had the white ring around the sight element making them far better in daylight. FYI.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, good to read the above. I just purchased a FNS 9C, this morning. It was a treat to shoot at the range, today.

Cycled some 100 rounds of 124 gr. FMJ range ammo and 50 rounds of Federal HST 124 gr. HPs through it. The 9C is a pleasure to shoot. Its very accurate and the frame fits my hands perfectly with the default curved back strap. The 9C will most likely replace my old friend, a Gen 3 Glock 26.

Hopefully, my FNS 9 will arrive by the week's end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same here. I have both the FNS9 and 9C. The 9C is my EDC.
First day with it I let the range instructor try it. At 7 yards, his first 3 went through the same hole. Next 2 made it about a 1 inch slot.
I can't shoot that tight yet. But I do like this pistol. I particularly like the grip extension so I can use all my 17 round mags with this pistol at the range. I frequently have both on the deck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just some updated info on the Talon Grips. They do not have them available for the compact models yet but they will be in the near future. J L
Great to see others having the same positive experience that I did with my new 9c.

Curious about whether folks feel that talon grips are needed on the 9c... I'm a big fan in general and have them on my other pistols. However, the grip texture on the 9c is so aggressive that I don't think it needs talon grips. If anything, I would think it would reduce some of the friction. That's one feature that I really like about the 9c! It's already effectively "stippled" out of the box... and beautifully so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just received an E mail yesterday from Talon Grips telling me that they are now available for the FNS9c & FNS40c. I find them very comfortable on my other guns so I do plan to order them for my 9c. J L

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grey. Ghost
I know the grip texture is a bit rough but look at what the Springfield XDs has, I think thy were far worse. The Talon Grips worked great on both my XDs 9 and 45, no problems adhering to their surface texture. Anyway, mine just came in today, when I put them on I will let you know how it turns out. J L

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grey. Ghost
I know the grip texture is a bit rough but look at what the Springfield XDs has, I think thy were far worse. The Talon Grips worked great on both my XDs 9 and 45, no problems adhering to their surface texture. Anyway, mine just came in today, when I put them on I will let you know how it turns out. J L
Please do. I have talon grips on a few of our polymer frame autos and love them. Just not sure if I want to put them on the FN.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grey.Ghost
I put the Talon Grips on this morning and they were a perfect fit. They send the alcohol preps with the grips so you can clean the gun before installation but due to the aggressive grip pattern on the gun I took a new tooth brush and scrubbed alcohol in the grooves to be sure it was clean. I waited a while to be sure the gun was completely dry then installed them. There is one thing to note.. the Talons did make the grip slightly fatter so be sure you are satisfied with the replaceable back strap you are using. You may want to check the gun using both back straps before you peel the backing off the Talons and stick them on.
The gun is really comfortable now, the Talon Grips make the gun feel so much better in hand. If you want the Talon Grips for the bottom of the mag extension it has a separate number.. FNS9c Grips #054, 12 rd mag w/ finger extension #059 and the 17rd mag extension #058. Hope this helps. J L

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.