FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum yet well acquainted to FN. I have decided on a fns-9c as my new carry piece, as I really don't like my Shield 9. However I needed help on deciding if the night sights that come with the fns-9c are worth it or not.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I like FN's night sights personally. The one's I have are bright, although I've heard some complain about the brightness (might have to check before purchasing). If you like something like the Trijicon HD night sights, or another brand, I'd get the standard variety.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't get the ameriglo classics. Just went through an accuracy battle after Installing their classic series. Shooting very low until I re-installed the original sights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank your for your input dan!

Also, thefastfox, I'm referring to the original FN NS that can be purchased pre-installed on the pistol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are a couple of threads here where members (including me) post about their experience with FN factory night sights. I have a two-tone FNS9 bought around Christmas and advertised as having night sights. I have found them to be essentially useless in the dark. Comparing them side by side in a darkened room with my 7 year old Kahr P9 night sights, well..... there is just no comparison. I have to strain to see a faint glow on the FNS. It isn't like you could quickly point the gun and pick up the sights. The older sights on the Kahr are crisp and sharp. Comparing even further, the Meprolight sights on my Kimbers are even better than the unmarked sights on my Kahrs.

Reference threads:
"My new FNS 9 and new to this forum"
"Who makes the FN factory night sights"

I bought my FNS-9 through GunBroker for $389 since the two-tone version was not in stock at any local gun shop. It was the best price I had seen at that time so I didn't feel like I was paying extra for the night sights, which turned out to be basically non-functional. If you are buying your FNS-c locally and paying extra for the night sights it would be good to test them in the dark to see if they work. I got a good deal on my FNS and don't depend on it as my night stand gun. I love the daylight performance of the sights so I am not terribly disappointed in the extremely poor night sights. And I love the gun overall.

From the experiences which have been posted here, the bottom line seems to be that whether you get functional night sights or not is a total crap shoot. Maybe you will and maybe you won't.

FN should do better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got the 9C with factory night sights installed. They were fine, but I didn't like the ramped rear sight, so I ended up installing a Trijicon HD rear sight anyway. The front sight is a clean bright tritium and same height as the HD fronts. It was just the rear sight I wanted to change. It shoots POA/POI at ten yards now, same as it did with the stock rear sight installed.

-Mike

FNS 9C Cook IWB Holster_zps9wsuoptn.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 9c with factory night sights. I usually do not buy guns with NS because I just cant see them as well as the 3 dot white sights in the daytime. The only reason I bought the 9c with them was because it was all the LGS had in stock and there were no regular sight models coming in. I find the front sight OK because it has a white ring around it but the rears look like the ring is silver and the sights are small. I dont know much about aftermarket sights but what I have found is that there is not a lot of accessories available for this gun, even through FNH. Hope this helps. J L

·
Registered
36 Posts
Search ebay for those holsters. They're normally around 30-35$. I use a company called clinger holsters on ebay for the fold over style holsters. I prefer them over any other style for comfort and size.

·
Registered
39 Posts
...I just installed the Trijicon HD w/orange outline front, set on my 9C. That BIG orange dot up front is FAST in acquisition in lighted and dim conditions, faster than the big white dot of the stock sights, IMHO. During installation, removal of the stock front sight was tight, pusher began to deform the sight base so I used punch to take it out, rear sight no issues with pusher. The Trijicons required "fitting", but not a difficult process, used the sight pusher to install. Sight height measurements were same between stock & Trijicons. The square block shape of rear sight gives impression of it snagging or digging into body for IWB use, it doesn't. To be honest, aside from the visual appearance, there is no tactile difference that I've detected in the last 48 hours of near-constant IWB wear. If charged by a light source, the orange front circles luminescence is bright enough to be readily visible in complete darkness, brighter than the green insert it surrounds, but will fade fast enough that I wouldn't rely on it alone. The 3 green dots are very bright in complete darkness, but some may have difficulty distinguishing which is front & which is rear dots if the Orange/Yellow luminescence circle isn't charged or faded already , typical with the 3-dot systems of same color. An older technique to differentiate between the dots is a very slight upward tilt of the muzzle during the presentation or push forward of the firearm so the front sight is above the 2 rear dots as you "punch" the muzzle at the targets COM. I obtained the sights from Optics Planet, just use "trijicon FN HD sights" in the search bar to display the 9mm & .40 sights. Best surprise was you can purchase the front or rear sights individually if you want to and pricing was actually lower than most other sites.

Hope this helps someone searching.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the 9C with factory night sights installed. They were fine, but I didn't like the ramped rear sight, so I ended up installing a Trijicon HD rear sight anyway. The front sight is a clean bright tritium and same height as the HD fronts. It was just the rear sight I wanted to change. It shoots POA/POI at ten yards now, same as it did with the stock rear sight installed.

-Mike

View attachment 38117
Could you post a close up of the front sight?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 9c with factory night sights. I usually do not buy guns with NS because I just cant see them as well as the 3 dot white sights in the daytime. The only reason I bought the 9c with them was because it was all the LGS had in stock and there were no regular sight models coming in. I find the front sight OK because it has a white ring around it but the rears look like the ring is silver and the sights are small. I dont know much about aftermarket sights but what I have found is that there is not a lot of accessories available for this gun, even through FNH. Hope this helps. J L
Would you mind posting a pick of the front night sight?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks BlackCloud0351, I appreciate taking the time to post these, but I was under the impression that the compact came with larger sights than the standard model. On FN's website, is says,

"The FNS™-9 Compact offers the same features as the standard models but have 3.6” barrels and is designed to be snag-free for better concealment and a faster draw. The front sight also has a larger dot for faster target acquisition. The FNS-9™ Compact comes with two 12-round and one 17-round magazine."

From what I could tell in picks, the standard non-night sights on the FNS Compact look slightly bigger than what's on the standard FNS. I was hoping to see a picture of the stock night sights from a Compact to see if that is the case. I like the big white outline of XS Big Dots, for example, but they're a little too imprecise for my tastes. The FNS Compact was said to have a slightly smaller front dot, but it's still larger than the standard white dots. I guess I'm just hoping that holds true with the FNS Compact night sights so they're easier to pick up in the daytime than what's in this picture.

·
Registered
39 Posts
...here's a side-by-side view of the stock FN day sights & Trijicon HD sights to assist you. Pictures are taken with the stock sights sitting in the remaining open portion of slide dovetail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is that the Orange Trijicon HD front sight? It looks washed out.
Yes, Trijicon Orange HD. Picture taken with an older smartphone so quality isn't the best and underneath the overhead light of my dining table, causing the glare/reflection you see, LOL. The angle of the picture doesn't show it but the Trijicon HD front sights (Org/Yel) have a clear filling in the front sight, which protects both the luminescent color ring and the tritium tube. The filling is flush with the sights surface so it is "smooth" no depression and is very hard, not soft & pliable. Trijicon HD rear sight tritium tubes are countersunk and no outline, makes for a more "crisp" (and precise) sight picture during daylight use. The stock FN day sights are basically holes drilled in the sight body and painted white. They are still "depressions" and depending on environment can accumulate crud in them that can obscure their utility. As the stock & Trijicon HD sights are designed/configured for "combat" usage, i.e., "fast acquisition", not "precision" targeting or bullseye shooting, I will say though that they are still precise enough to hit 8" plates @50yds with regularity, just as fast as my IPSC & Precision configured 1911's. I chose the 9c for my EDC and use it in that capacity, as designed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I heard that the new FNS 9c no longer has the depression probably for that reason. I've had other sights on various model guns do the same thing (get dirty). I like the Trijicon HD sights a lot, but I wish they came out with a model containing a single rear tritium lamp. It's less to line up, just as precise, and therefore quicker that way. In my opinion all sights should be that way and three dot sights should be the exception for people who just want what they're used to even if they're not as quick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts