FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some searching and can't quite seem to find in answer, so I figured this would be the best place to get it.

I'm preparing for the arrival of a suppressor and wanted to have my FNX-9 barrel threaded. I saw that EFK Fire Dragon makes a barrel, but it seems to be longer lead time and slightly pricey. Then I noticed that I could buy a factory 5" FNS-9L barrel which I could then have threaded (this barrel + cost to thread is less than the EFK Fire Dragon). I've read that the FNS barrel will fit the FNX, but I'm not sure if this applies to the long version of the FNS barrel. Assuming the lugs fit perfectly, I also realize that the 5" barrel might not fit into the slide physically due to the bore in the slide, but maybe it would if I had it chopped down to the minimum needed for 1/2-28 threads? I'm thinking about mocking up my existing barrel with a 3D printed plug which extends it by .5" or so to test this theory.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
718 Posts
FNX-9L EDGE-Tac, c'mon FN!
Plenty of us that prefer proper hammer pistols

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not going to lie, I'd probably ditch all my Stryker fired pistols for a fnx-LS edge tac if it came out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah would be really nice if FN made a factory FNX-9/FNS-9 barrel! I'm also going to get a set of sights: https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/fn202-c-600935 .

To let you know where I am on my research, there was a nice member on FN subforum of AR15.com who took his FNS-9L barrel and placed it into his FNX-9 and took a couple photos for me. He said all function tests worked fine, aside from firing (since he didn't check that). That being said, firing is when things have a propensity to get interesting, so I'm still on the fence about it. There are two things that concern me:

1. There is a small notch on the top of the FNS-9L barrel which is just forward of the chamber - I do not know what this is for, but the guy on AR15.com with both says it does nothing to interface with the slide, and the inside of the slide on both handguns look identical (aside from the 9L being longer).
2. FN tech support will not commit to the FNS-9L barrel working in the FNS/FNX - the guy I was talking to said the lugs are different, but he couldn't tell me what was different. I'm thinking this is a statement for liability purposes, but it's not the answer I want to hear.

I may just go ahead and order the EFK Fire Dragon barrel due to the above reasons, but even they claim to use identical lugs on the standard and 9L barrels. I simply prefer the idea of having a factory barrel in my FNX rather than something from the aftermarket. Just really surprised nobody has done it yet!

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's too bad the 509 uses different lugs, otherwise you might look at Apex's long slide as that comes with both the extended slide and threaded barrel option

1 - 5 of 5 Posts