FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I saw a really good price on FNS 9L, but I have read - with a grain of salt - some mixed reviews.
I would be new to the striker fired world with this being the first one I ever bought.

Am very interested in the long slide for target and personal use. I have a really great 9 already,
and not a lot of funds to put in at this time - this might drain my pistol pool for some time and
put me back some on other projects! The versatility of a drop-in caliber change would certainly
push this project on to the table.

That is if I don’t have to have a full second slide. The cost of that would be close to the cost of
the entire pistol in 9mm. I’ve looked at getting an FNS 40L, too. There are not many out there
for dale, and despite a lot of opinion that 40 caliber is a dying beed, I happen to like it a lot, I
look forward to eventually loading my own, and don’t tell my 96FS that it may eventually starve
to death!

Given that the 9 and the 40’s frames are the same, is there a relatively simple conversion to
40sw or 357sig? If not, how painful is it to go the other way, 40 -> 9, and is 357sig even possible?

Thanks for constructive responses, even in the negatory, ha, some things just aren’t feasible.
It would be great if all of this could start with (highly discounted) a 10mm based gun....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Simple? YES! https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F511663346

The uppers are interchangeable on 4" and 5" slide assemblies, with respective lower frames (excludes the compact model). The .40 S&W slide fits right on my 9 frame. And, you can buy an EFK drop-in 357 Sig barrel for the 40 slide.
:?

EDIT: It goes without saying, that you'd need a another magazine (or 2, or 3, ...) for the .40 S&W or .357 Sig ammo, as the 9mm mags won't accommodate this ammo.

Hey all,

I saw a really good price on FNS 9L, but I have read - with a grain of salt - some mixed reviews.
I would be new to the striker fired world with this being the first one I ever bought.

Am very interested in the long slide for target and personal use. I have a really great 9 already,
and not a lot of funds to put in at this time - this might drain my pistol pool for some time and
put me back some on other projects! The versatility of a drop-in caliber change would certainly
push this project on to the table.

That is if I don’t have to have a full second slide. The cost of that would be close to the cost of
the entire pistol in 9mm. I’ve looked at getting an FNS 40L, too. There are not many out there
for dale, and despite a lot of opinion that 40 caliber is a dying beed, I happen to like it a lot, I
look forward to eventually loading my own, and don’t tell my 96FS that it may eventually starve
to death!

Given that the 9 and the 40’s frames are the same, is there a relatively simple conversion to
40sw or 357sig? If not, how painful is it to go the other way, 40 -> 9, and is 357sig even possible?

Thanks for constructive responses, even in the negatory, ha, some things just aren’t feasible.
It would be great if all of this could start with (highly discounted) a 10mm based gun....

·
Registered
980 Posts
As bwwoodard noted, the uppers are interchangeable == as the 9/9L/40/40L frames are the same. As far as I know there's no way to use a 9L slide to shoot .40 or .357 SIG -- ss the opening in the front of the slide won't accept the larger diameter barrels. (I suspect that's the only real difference between the 9L and 40L slides, so a machine shop could, at least in theory, enlarge that opening in the slide. This is from a non-machinist unsure of the technical diferences between the two slides.)

Given all of this, it might be better to just keep looking around for a 40L at the right price.

I have a FNS-9c, an FNS-40 and an FNS-40L. I have an EFK-Firedragon 40>9 conversion barrel for the FNS-40. (EFK-Firedragon didn't have conversion barrels for the 40L until later, or I would've done that, instead.) The FNS-40 will run 9mm hardball (round nose) ammo without problems, using the .40 magazines -- but you may have some issues if you try to use some hollow-point ammos, as some of them tend to bite into the feed ramp. I just got a couple of 9mm magazines and they work perfectly no matter what ammo you use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts