FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new FNS Longslide today. I have been anticipating this since last years shot show and was finally able to get my hands on one. The trigger feels a little scratchy is that sounds understandable. It is not as smooth as I would like but that was just dry firing it. I will be going out to put a few hundred rounds through it tomorrow. We will see how it acts with some use. Either way I am stoked to own yet another FN product as I have not been disappointed yet. The only two major downfalls I can think of right out of the box is that it didn't come with night sights, second the gap between the frame and the top of the barrel seems excessive. Just seems like really poor machine work, I am sure it won't effect shooting quality however it doesn't do much for asthetics. I shoot IDPA and every once in a while they have night shoots at various ranges so that will be a must on the to be done list.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Congrats on the new gun!
That barrel/slide fit does seem excessive though.
I just looked at my FNS-9, and the tolerances are much tighter.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Congrats on the long slide ! I have the .40, and the trigger definitely got better after a couple hundred rounds or so. I think by 500 rounds it will be perfect. It's pretty darned good now with about 350 to 400 rounds through it. The gap hasn't bothered me. I personally am very pleased with mine. Accurate, well fitting, and a little softer shooting than my glock 35. I'm sure the 9mm will shine bright !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats on the long slide I'll get my hands on one someday, I just have to many gun purchases within the last year, I think my wife is getting annoyed!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
second the gap between the frame and the top of the barrel seems excessive. Just seems like really poor machine work,
Just a thought here and I may be totally off base, but the longer the barrel/slide is, the more the front tips up relative to the pivot point as the barrel unlocks from the slide. If you had a 4 foot slide that clearance would have to be pretty significant or the barrel couldn't tilt downward at the rear and upward at the front. Right?

maybe since they started this design with a shorter barrel they needed that greater clearance at the front.

or it could just be poor machine work. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
WOW,,hard to tell from the pic with the shadowing, but it does look like a heck of a gap !! At the top of the BBL right ?? Lets hope it shoots great for ya !! I want a Long Slide 9 real bad,,but haven't really looked yet,,but will in the weeks to come when I get some extra $$$ !! Anyways,,BIG Congrats,,,,keep us posted on how it shoots !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently picked up a LS as well. I'm thinking they had this gap there for barrel removal. Kind of like 1kperday was saying but if you remove the barrel from the slide. The barrel slighly kisses the top of the gap that you are referring too. If it were any tighter (on mine) it would be extremely difficult to pull the barrel

·
Registered
480 Posts
The gap is part of the design as the clearance is needed for removal of the barrel, if there is no gap it would be impossible to remove the barrel due to the design; the barrel opening in the slide does narrow for a tighter fit. This is a design compromise due to the fact that the FNS Long Slide models were based on the FNS that was designed with a 4” barrel. If FNH USA re-designed the lower to match the extra inch then the larger opening would not be needed but the tradeoff is extra manufacturing costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up an FNS 9 Long Slide put about 200 rounds through it. shoots great love it.

I want to use it for IDPA but I'm having trouble finding a holster for it. let me know if you come accros a holster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congrats man! I picked one up the other week but have been to busy to put rounds through it. Did you do anything for breakin? What kind of rounds did you fire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I followed the new gun cleaning process in the manual

Then cycled about 50 rounds of fake ammo through it

Then shot generic target load . No misfires jams or failure to eject

The first day I was a llittle wild
Day two was great
I think I needed to get used to the trigger
My other gun is a da sa

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Congrad's on the " L ". I need a 9 to shoot that defensive G2 stuff I picked up. Have been lusting after the " L " since I have seen 1. They seem hard to find.
Also have had a interest in the sig scorpion.
These may be just like a Kimber in regards to the trigger ( anyway's ) a Kimber isn't broken in until 500 rds, they seem to stove pipe ( rumor has it ) before 500. Maybe the trigger will get better w/ use like said above.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The trigger does improve with use (dry firing and/or shooting) and putting a small amount of Sil-Glyde or similar silicone based grease (non-melting, freezing, gumming and weatherproof) where the trigger safety meets the frame (put a very small amount on the frame) improves the trigger feel.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The gap is by design. When you pull the slide back the barrel angles up. On the long slide the slide must be machined out to accept this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to this forum. Hello everyone. I am very much leaning towards buying a FNS 9 LS. I've heard both great things about it and not so great things. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but overall is this gun worth the purchase. Really the only thing bad I've heard about is the trigger being grainy when new. Thoughts anyone? Thanks, jp

·
Registered
179 Posts
The trigger grit is not a big deal. The more you shoot it the better it gets. All I did was lube the trigger bar and went to work running rounds through it. There is a thread also on how to improve it out of the box. Biggest issue I have heard is some have a problem with the ambi-mag release. A very very limited amount. The gun is great and given the other striker fired pistols the fns has the least amount of problems. Check out ballistic radio he is running a long term test on the fns-9 longslide. He loves it and thinks its the best striker fired poly out there. Also there is a possibility of fn doing a limited run of pistols with him.

Best thing you can do is find some rental guns and shoot them. I liked the feel of the fns more then the glock and I liked the trigger way more then the m&p. I have personally owned xd/glock/m&p/ and have shot the new taurus 24/7(royal P.O.S) and the fns is the clear winner for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts