FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of chopping the standard FNS to FNSc size to accept FNSc mags just like chopping a Glock 17/19 to Glock19/26 size?

Would it even work? I know the FNSc accepts the same mags as the standard FNS but will the standard FNS accept the smaller mags? Any other concerns with chopping the grip?

I ask because I have a standard size FNS but its a tad to big for me to conceal carry. I'm pretty sure if I were able to cut the grip down to FNSc size then I would be able to conceal carry the gun. The extra length of the FNS sticks out and prints on me. Whereas a glock19 I have no trouble with, and the FNSc is smaller than a glock19. Also, I notice my grip doesn't even contact/use the extra length of the grip because of my small hands. I would buy an FNSc but I live in California so no more SSEs. If you're wondering why I don't just get a glock 19 it's because I really prefer the FNS over the glock19. It fits me way better than a glock and I shoot better with it. I also like the idea of the longer sight radius, 4" barrel vs the 3" of the compact, and the possibility of getting a longslide.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
You might be able to. You won't have much of a flared magwell and I'm not sure how everything would line up (in regards to the FN logo on the grip that is). I'd personally be hesitant to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting idea, did you go ahead with the grip reduction?

I would check the location of where the grip panels lock onto the back of the grip, be sure that is above your cut so you could still change out back straps. That and the FN logo/texturing not being centered on the grip are the only two issues I could think of.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not yet. I'm waiting until the compact magazines are available for sale to make sure of my measurements. IIRC I would have to epoxy or glue the back-strap because based on the measurements online it looks like the lock is right below or at where the cut would be made. The FN logo would be saved though because the cut would be below it and, like djv38 said, I would loose the flared mag well but that doesn't bother me too much. I'm also waiting on an FNS to go on the market again in CalGuns so I'd have a backup. The good thing though is that they don't sell for crazy amount of money unlike the VP9s and Gen4 glocks due to the lack of popularity but because of that there isn't many FNSs in CA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's pretty gutsy of you. I can't imagine ever doing that to any of my guns. Plus I couldn't live with the look of the gun after it's been cut like that. But perhaps I would understand if you would enlighten me on why you can't buy a compact version in Cali. Also what's SSEs?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pretty gutsy of you. I can't imagine ever doing that to any of my guns. Plus I couldn't live with the look of the gun after it's been cut like that. But perhaps I would understand if you would enlighten me on why you can't buy a compact version in Cali. Also what's SSEs?
SSE is Single Shot Exemption. Before Jan 2015 you could get an off roster handgun (on roster handguns means the handgun meets CA DOJ requirements and testing) by converting it to a single shot when you buy it. It was done using a kit the dealer would install then removed after the gun has been transferred to you. After Jan 2015 CA lawmakers closed this loophole so any semi-auto handgun not on the roster cannot be sold. LEOs, intra-familial transfers, and private party transfers are the only exemptions from the roster.

I wouldn't mind the look. I bet I could get a stipple job on it and it would look like nothing happened. I mean many guys modify their 1911s and glocks so much that it looks nothing like it once did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The problem you are going to run into is with the removable back strap. You may have to cut the back strap and glue it in. You may be able to get a compact back strap and use that. I have the FNS 40 and (thanks to the MD 7 day wait) will be picking up my FNS40C on Tuesday. If you can wait until then, I will play with them and see if I can figure out what will work. Aside from the back strap, it will work if you cut it to the same size, albeit without the flared mag well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Okay, after comparing the compact and standard you would have to glue on the back strap because choping it would cut into the part on the frame that retains the back strap. Other than that, it would work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw an M&P on FB that had been chopped and textured (stippled) to create a compact version of the M&P9. It was intriguing to say the least. I struggled a little with the modification implications, but ended up in a lengthy conversation with the seller and felt like he had "done it right". To your point (and his), the barrel length is not the concealment issue. I'll try to find a picture and drop if in here as an example. As a perfectionist the idea scares me a bit. As a gun lover I applaud the creativity.

I found a link to the M&P chop on the owner's page -http://rangeaddict.com/sw-mp9-pro-series-review/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all just registered to post here.

As a poor bloke in New Yorkistan I'm finally (after a year) able to get my firearm from the dealer. However in the past 6 months (when i paid for my sig229) I've since changed my mind.
Now I want a fns-9c. But they're out of stock from my gun store's suppliers (i want to transfer funds from the Sig) (6 months supposedly till they get a batch from FNH).

Long story short, did anyone do this? 10rnd (all I'm allowed to have in this fascist state) compact mags are now available from FNusa's web store.

I don't think I'm opposed to hacking and gluing, it seems like a better option than a glock 26 which is in stock.

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS GUYS!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Buds has one of each... with manual safety, one without for $513. Just have it sent to an FFL that can pin the mags. Or have them keep the bigger mags and buy the 10s online.

Im in New Yorkistan too. But I was lucky enough to buy my 9c with three 10round mags. My local Field & Stream and favorite gun shop carry them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buds has one of each... with manual safety, one without for $513. Just have it sent to an FFL that can pin the mags. Or have them keep the bigger mags and buy the 10s online.

Im in New Yorkistan too. But I was lucky enough to buy my 9c with three 10round mags. My local Field & Stream and favorite gun shop carry them.
Nice good deal! I have seen the 9c available, just supposedly not where the dealer who already has my cash gets them from :/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts