FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an FNS 9 fan since they came out. I bought the first FNS 9C that showed up at my local gun shop. Just returned from the range. First round fired was a FTE stovepipe. After that I ran around 150 rounds of 125+ power factor hand loads and 20 rounds of Federal HST SD rounds through it with 0 malfunctions. I fired one 12 round mag from a rest at 10 yd. to check the zero resulting in one flyer and a ragged 11 round hole about an inch across.
It was our regular Thursday practice and we were shooting drills on swingers at 5 - 10 yd. After shooting my PPQ 5 I ran the same drills with the FNS C and was very impressed. I also shot some double tap drills and Mozambique drills at 7 yards and was 2 points down after about 40 rounds. Not bad for a compact! Ergonomics are excellent. Recoil is easily manageable.
I am over 60 so most of my handguns have FO front sights and plain black rears. The rear notch on the FNS C is fairly narrow but it is a "U" style notch which I prefer and overall the three dot sights on the FNS provide an excellent sight picture. The over-sized front dot is easy to pick up and fast on target transitions. I will probably paint the rear sight black and call it good.
The gun ships with three mags, two 12 round mags, one with a low profile base pad and one with a finger extension. The finger extension provides for a three finger grip but had no difficulty shooting with the shorter mag which is easier to conceal. I am not sure why they ship the gun with 17 round mag with a grip sleeve. I would have preferred another 12 round mag. If anyone wants to trade a 12 rounder for the 17 let me know. My thoughts are if you want 17 and are prepared to try conceal a full size (17 round) grip buy a bigger gun....
Now the bad news. I am interested in knowing if I received a gun with a particularly bad mag release or if it is common to all FNS Compacts. The mag release spring is so strong it is difficult to drop a mag. The mag release button is low profile to the point it is almost recessed onto the grip. Additionally the design the release is such that the release button is fairly far forward on the grip. To say you have to change your grip to release the mag is an understatement. You have to rotate the grip to move your thumb around to the front of the grip then depress the release with considerable force ( you actually have to force the button into the recess in the grip) to release the mag.
The problem is it is a small handgun and the release is ambi. As you are attempting to release the mag by depressing the mag release on one side of the gun, the release button is pushed through to the point it protrudes on the opposite side of the grip where it is blocked by your hand as you grip the gun.
I own and shoot a wide variety of handguns from 5" 1911s to a Kahr 380 and Sig P238. I shoot IDPA, USPSA and Steel Challenge. I regularly place in the top two or three and occasionally win local matches. The only reason I mention this is to point out that I am competent with a handgun and have enough experience to know a lousy mag release with I feel one. I have a half dozen guns that I carry regularly. I have to say the FNS C has the worst mag release button of any gun I own.
I called FN USA and was informed that they designed the mag release that way because the gun is a carry gun. Good thing I called I never could have figured that out on my own. He explained that the mag release needs to be that difficult to manipulate (virtually impossible to manipulate efficiently) so your mag doesn't drop out of the gun when you "bump it on something". I explained that I carry my full size FNS which it has an excellent mag release and have never "bumped" the gun and dropped the mag. Every other handgun I carry has a functional release as well and I have never inadvertently "bumped the gun" dropped a mag on any of those guns either. His response was "Well this is a carry gun"... yes I got that. He acknowledged that they had received some calls regarding the issue but as far as FN is concerned it isn't a problem therefore no solution will be forthcoming.
I actually like the euro style paddle releases and have discovered that the best way to drop a mag with the FNS C is use my trigger finger and release the mag from the opposite side. For that reason alone and because the gun is excellent in every other respect I am keeping it for now. Anyone want to trade my 17 rounder for a 12? Let me know if I am alone in hating the mag release on this gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had a lengthy discussion at my LGS as I handled the gun regarding the mag release and myself and the owner of the LGS agree with you. That and not wanting to possibly getting stuck with a 7.7 lb. trigger pull were deal breakers for me. The FNS compact trigger pull is rated at 5.5 lbs. to 7.7 lbs. a crap shoot on what poundage you might get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FNS C trigger

We had a lengthy discussion at my LGS as I handled the gun regarding the mag release and myself and the owner of the LGS agree with you. That and not wanting to possibly getting stuck with a 7.7 lb. trigger pull were deal breakers for me. The FNS compact trigger pull is rated at 5.5 lbs. to 7.7 lbs. a crap shoot on what poundage you might get.
My trigger is similar if not identical to my FNS full size. It measures a consistent 5.5 lb. on my Lyman digital. Take up is smooth and relatively short, then you feel a well defined "wall" with a clean break and minimal over-travel. Reset is short for a striker fired gun, audible and tactile. It feels good when dry firing but seems to perform much better when putting live rounds downrange. It feels much lighter than 5.5 and with the smooth take up and abrupt wall staging the trigger is easy and very consistent. I ran this gun in practice after running my PPQ 5 inch competition gun and for drills out to around 10 yds the FNS C kept up with the 5" PPQ pretty well. As a SD/carry gun with 12+1 capacity it is statistically highly unlikely that you will need to reload. I plan to shoot it in the new Compact Carry Pistol division in IDPA which requires reloads on the clock thus my concern regarding the mag release.
Another point, the slide stop lever is very small and recessed in the frame. Shooting in matches I generally use my weak hand thumb to release the slide on slide lock reloads as it is faster. It is difficult to do on this gun. On the other hand this is SD/carry gun and the slide serrations provide an excellent grip for slingshot-ting the slide which is the preferred method in a stressful situation.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The one I played with at the local gun shop didn't seem overly heavy to me. You should be able to swap out the mag release/spring to the standard FNS's though. I'd have to play around/shoot it though to get a good determination on whether or not I'd do that though (generally I like the mag release slightly extended/easy to hit)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My trigger is similar if not identical to my FNS full size. It measures a consistent 5.5 lb. on my Lyman digital. Take up is smooth and relatively short, then you feel a well defined "wall" with a clean break and minimal over-travel. Reset is short for a striker fired gun, audible and tactile. It feels good when dry firing but seems to perform much better when putting live rounds downrange. It feels much lighter than 5.5 and with the smooth take up and abrupt wall staging the trigger is easy and very consistent. I ran this gun in practice after running my PPQ 5 inch competition gun and for drills out to around 10 yds the FNS C kept up with the 5" PPQ pretty well. As a SD/carry gun with 12+1 capacity it is statistically highly unlikely that you will need to reload. I plan to shoot it in the new Compact Carry Pistol division in IDPA which requires reloads on the clock thus my concern regarding the mag release.
Another point, the slide stop lever is very small and recessed in the frame. Shooting in matches I generally use my weak hand thumb to release the slide on slide lock reloads as it is faster. It is difficult to do on this gun. On the other hand this is SD/carry gun and the slide serrations provide an excellent grip for slingshot-ting the slide which is the preferred method in a stressful situation.
And what if you would have gotten a 7.7 lb. trigger? I just don't like the idea that they can't tell you a more accurate poundage. I called FN and they told me that was correct poundage they list and possible could get a 7.7 lb. they couldn't say for sure. They said the poundage was according to military specs. I told them I was a civilian( he thought I was a smart ass) and would want a trigger closer to or 5.5 and not 7.7 He did tell me that if the trigger poundage was more than 7.7 or less than 5.5 they would want to hear from me. I told him I wasn't getting one so they wouldn't be hearing from me one way or the other. I really wanted the gun, that's why I called FN hoping you could order either a 5.5 lb. or 7.7 lb. trigger and not have a crap shoot on what you might get.The gun felt great in my hand the one I handled had a nice trigger pull but was sold the next day. I guess I'll wait for the LGS to get another one in and go check the trigger first before buying. Maybe someone will come up with a fix or mod. for the magazine release like dremel some of the poly away around it so it is easier to push in or after market release or weld on top of release to make it longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FNS C trigger

And what if you would have gotten a 7.7 lb. trigger? I just don't like the idea that they can't tell you a more accurate poundage. I called FN and they told me that was correct poundage they list and possible could get a 7.7 lb. they couldn't say for sure. They said the poundage was according to military specs. I told them I was a civilian( he thought I was a smart ass) and would want a trigger closer to or 5.5 and not 7.7 He did tell me that if the trigger poundage was more than 7.7 or less than 5.5 they would want to hear from me. I told him I wasn't getting one so they wouldn't be hearing from me one way or the other. I really wanted the gun, that's why I called FN hoping you could order either a 5.5 lb. or 7.7 lb. trigger and not have a crap shoot on what you might get.The gun felt great in my hand the one I handled had a nice trigger pull but was sold the next day. I guess I'll wait for the LGS to get another one in and go check the trigger first before buying. Maybe someone will come up with a fix or mod. for the magazine release like dremel some of the poly away around it so it is easier to push in or after market release or weld on top of release to make it longer.[/QUOTE

FN is not going to win any awards for the attitude of their customer service reps. It is a nice trigger. You really have to put some rounds down range to appreciate it. 7 lbs is not outrageous for a carry gun particularly one without an external safety. I could live with a 7 lb but like the 5 a lot better. A shooting buddy reminded me they have to build these guns to the lowest common denominator.... think of some of the people with limited experience/ability/common sense who are who are getting a CHL and buying guns these days. Mine has an external safety which does not bother me as I am a 1911 guy. I thought about the dremel option. The trigger finger release works well for me. It appears to have independent springs depending on whether you use the left or right release button. The right side spring seems to be better that the left. Both the left and right have gotten better doing repetitive reload drills with dummy rounds. I am going to carry it for a few weeks and shoot it in CCP division in a couple of IDPA matches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't checked mine other than using it and it is a much smoother and "lighter" pull than my XD-s 45 that had a 6lb trigger pull. I don't know for sure if its lighter but it sure feels like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the compact too, and I really hate the mag release too, I also got a bad trigger too. Now its not all bad, I love how the gun feels and carries. The other big thing is I put Trijicon HD night sights on mine, it took 3 sets to get them on(the front broke twice, now I known this is ill fitment no Trijicons part) and was very frustrating. I like the gun just wished a few things where different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been an FNS 9 fan since they came out. I bought the first FNS 9C that showed up at my local gun shop. Just returned from the range. First round fired was a FTE stovepipe. After that I ran around 150 rounds of 125+ power factor hand loads and 20 rounds of Federal HST SD rounds through it with 0 malfunctions. I fired one 12 round mag from a rest at 10 yd. to check the zero resulting in one flyer and a ragged 11 round hole about an inch across.
It was our regular Thursday practice and we were shooting drills on swingers at 5 - 10 yd. After shooting my PPQ 5 I ran the same drills with the FNS C and was very impressed. I also shot some double tap drills and Mozambique drills at 7 yards and was 2 points down after about 40 rounds. Not bad for a compact! Ergonomics are excellent. Recoil is easily manageable.
I am over 60 so most of my handguns have FO front sights and plain black rears. The rear notch on the FNS C is fairly narrow but it is a "U" style notch which I prefer and overall the three dot sights on the FNS provide an excellent sight picture. The over-sized front dot is easy to pick up and fast on target transitions. I will probably paint the rear sight black and call it good.
The gun ships with three mags, two 12 round mags, one with a low profile base pad and one with a finger extension. The finger extension provides for a three finger grip but had no difficulty shooting with the shorter mag which is easier to conceal. I am not sure why they ship the gun with 17 round mag with a grip sleeve. I would have preferred another 12 round mag. If anyone wants to trade a 12 rounder for the 17 let me know. My thoughts are if you want 17 and are prepared to try conceal a full size (17 round) grip buy a bigger gun....
Now the bad news. I am interested in knowing if I received a gun with a particularly bad mag release or if it is common to all FNS Compacts. The mag release spring is so strong it is difficult to drop a mag. The mag release button is low profile to the point it is almost recessed onto the grip. Additionally the design the release is such that the release button is fairly far forward on the grip. To say you have to change your grip to release the mag is an understatement. You have to rotate the grip to move your thumb around to the front of the grip then depress the release with considerable force ( you actually have to force the button into the recess in the grip) to release the mag.
The problem is it is a small handgun and the release is ambi. As you are attempting to release the mag by depressing the mag release on one side of the gun, the release button is pushed through to the point it protrudes on the opposite side of the grip where it is blocked by your hand as you grip the gun.
I own and shoot a wide variety of handguns from 5" 1911s to a Kahr 380 and Sig P238. I shoot IDPA, USPSA and Steel Challenge. I regularly place in the top two or three and occasionally win local matches. The only reason I mention this is to point out that I am competent with a handgun and have enough experience to know a lousy mag release with I feel one. I have a half dozen guns that I carry regularly. I have to say the FNS C has the worst mag release button of any gun I own.
I called FN USA and was informed that they designed the mag release that way because the gun is a carry gun. Good thing I called I never could have figured that out on my own. He explained that the mag release needs to be that difficult to manipulate (virtually impossible to manipulate efficiently) so your mag doesn't drop out of the gun when you "bump it on something". I explained that I carry my full size FNS which it has an excellent mag release and have never "bumped" the gun and dropped the mag. Every other handgun I carry has a functional release as well and I have never inadvertently "bumped the gun" dropped a mag on any of those guns either. His response was "Well this is a carry gun"... yes I got that. He acknowledged that they had received some calls regarding the issue but as far as FN is concerned it isn't a problem therefore no solution will be forthcoming.
I actually like the euro style paddle releases and have discovered that the best way to drop a mag with the FNS C is use my trigger finger and release the mag from the opposite side. For that reason alone and because the gun is excellent in every other respect I am keeping it for now. Anyone want to trade my 17 rounder for a 12? Let me know if I am alone in hating the mag release on this gun.
I am not sure if it is possible, but I would try and order the mag release for the full size and put that on your compact.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My trigger is a constant 5.5 lbs. I polished the firing pin block surface with an Arkansas stone so I didn't have to wait a thousand rounds for it to smooth out. Yes the full size mag release fits the compact fine, it's about 3mm wider and gives you the same results as the Glock extended mag release if you're familiar with that. I replaced the rear sight with a Trijicon HD rear because I didn't like the stock ramped rear sight. I prefer a flat face rear sight. You can get the full size mag release from MGW for about $20. Use two ice picks (or similar...) to squeeze and lift the mag release spring up and out of the bar, be careful 'cause it'll go flying off on it's own if you don't keep a hold of it.

-Mike

FNH FNX / FNS Magazine Catch

FNS 9C New Mag Catch Buttons.JPG FNS 9C Trijicon HD 102 Rear.JPG FNS 9C with new Mag Catch.JPG

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can get the full size mag release from MGW for about $20.
I was wondering about that. How does it work? Much improved? I was trying a FNS 9c at Cabela's the other night and noticed the mag release was hard to actuate. I was thinking the same thing (buying the full-size one from MGW).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was wondering about that. How does it work? Much improved? I was trying a FNS 9c at Cabela's the other night and noticed the mag release was hard to actuate. I was thinking the same thing (buying the full-size one from MGW).

Yes, much improved. It's what should've come on it from the factory....

-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts