FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FrieNds,

I have a few different FNS pistols and interchange some parts on them. Does anyone know what parts are interchangeable on FNS pistols?

As far as I know:
FNS-40 slide works on a FNS-9 frame. I do this.
FNS-9L slide fits on normal FNS-9 frame.

I saw a guy online who attached his FNS-9L slide to his FNS-9C frame and claimed to have fired it. I don't yet have the courage to try this. Any ideas about this?

Also, does anyone know if the FNS-9L barrel will work in the FNS-9 4"? It seems to fit in mine, but I haven't test fired it yet.

I can say that FNS-40/FNS-9 mags will fit in all of the FNS pistols and work if you have the correct slide.

One tip I have: 509 tactical magazine baseplates fit on FNS mags. I put one on my FNS-9c carry mag and it is the most comfortable and concealable mag I have now. Also, the 24-rd 509 mags work in the FNS-9 and FNS-9C.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whenever the FNS line was originally introduced they offered a 9mm/40S&W combo. It's still listed at Cheaper Than Dirt even though it's unlikely they'll ever be distributed again.

Putting a 9L barrel in a standard 9 slide should be no issue, other than looking a little goofy, as the extra barrel length will just stick out the end of the slide like a threaded barrel.

Midwest Gun Works lists different part codes (part numbers?) for the 9c unlock block and the standard FNS unlock block (I'm assuming the long slide uses the standard part), the fire control assembly also has a different code for the safetied version but uses the same code for the non-safetied version, so using the 9L slide on the 9c frame, even if it does seem to all go together properly, might be less advised.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mix parts even if they appear to fit fine. I mean I see no problem with stuff like baseplates, but when you start doing stuff like putting a long barrel and/or slide on a compact and vice-versa you're just asking for problems

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mix parts even if they appear to fit fine. I mean I see no problem with stuff like baseplates, but when you start doing stuff like putting a long barrel and/or slide on a compact and vice-versa you're just asking for problems
A big +1 to that. Why look to create a dangerous problem by doing something silly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello FrieNds,

One tip I have: 509 tactical magazine baseplates fit on FNS mags. I put one on my FNS-9c carry mag and it is the most comfortable and concealable mag I have now. Also, the 24-rd 509 mags work in the FNS-9 and FNS-9C.
I have done the same thing with the 509 baseplate on the FNS compact magazines. The extended lip on the standard FNS magazine baseplates doesn't make sense for a concealed carry pistol.

·
Registered
784 Posts
When fitting a FN 509 24rd magazine to a FNS-9c, what combination of sleeves are required/work, if they do at all? For example could a FNS base plate go on the bottom and use two of the sleeves from the 17rd mags? Or one FNS-9c sleeve and the sleeve that comes with the 24rd? (and in that case not remove the baseplate)?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Can the FNS-9c be adapted to .40 cal, to effectively become a FNC-40c?

If so, what would be the parts list?
-FNC-40c barrel

The 9c/40c recoil spring assembly is the same. The fire control assembly, same. Unlock block, striker, trigger, takedown lever, slide stop, mag release are same part numbers. I see the extractor-LCI is different.

Are the slides the same and will the 9mm extractor work on the 40?

·
Registered
980 Posts
FN47 said:
Are the slides the same and will the 9mm extractor work on the 40?
The barrel diameters should be different -- and if they're not, that would be different from the other FN semi-autos. (And, if the diameters are different, the slides are different, if only with regard to the opening on the front through which the barrel protrudes.) Since the barrels aren't interchangeable, whether the 9mm extractor would work is not relevant.

Another member here has both the 9c and the 40c, and has commented that the frames (or, if I misunderstood, the slides or frames/slides, are subtly different, as the two models can't share the same holster. (That is different from the FNS-9/40 or the FNS-9L/40L, which all share the same frame and all other frame and slide specs -- except for the opening on the front of the slide.)

Magazines for the 9mm and .40 models have the same physical dimensions, but are slightly different -- the feed lip gap is different, and it may be that the folloowers are slightly different, too. I've found that .40 mags feeding 9mm hardball shot fine when running a 9mm conversion barrel in an FNS-40, but hollowpoint ammo hits the feed ramp at a different angle using the .40 mag, and some HP brands can BITE into the feed ramp and not feed. Don't know how a 9mm magazine would do when trying to feed a .40 barrel. (I have 9 mags and should be able to check how they feed in a 40 but I don't have a .40 FNS-40c.) The 9c/40c barrels are slightly different design than the full-size and long slide models.)

If your goal is to have a FNS-40c, your best bet might be 1) to find someone who wants to trade their 40c for a 9c, or 2) sell your 9c outright (but don't trade it to a gun shop), and buy a 40c. I expect the prices, which have already dropped a good bit over the past two years, to be even lower now that they're being discontinued. 3) Maybe keeping what you've got and buying a used 40c would work, too, as having a used FN handgun is not a problem: the warranty is the same, whether you're the original buyer or a subsequent owner.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks Walt I think I get it now. I can put a 9 conversion in a 40 more likely than a 40 in a 9 because of the outside diameter of the barrel

I'm not interested in getting rid of the 9c but was curious of expanding what ammo it can chew. One of my glock buddies swaps barrels between 40 and 9 which gave me the idea, but he must have a glock 40 with a 9mm barrel made to fit a 40 then ...

·
Registered
202 Posts
The barrel diameters should be different -- and if they're not, that would be different from the other FN semi-autos. (And, if the diameters are different, the slides are different, if only with regard to the opening on the front through which the barrel protrudes.) Since the barrels aren't interchangeable, whether the 9mm extractor would work is not relevant.
Yes, barrel diameter is greater (for 40) and the barrel appears to be made of thicker metal, therefore the upper area of the 40's slide is wider/beefier. The 40 barrel won't fit in the 9mm slide. [I have 40 & 9 in Compact and 4" FNS platforms, as well as FNX...excellent interchangeability of mags and parts.]

If your goal is to have a FNS-40c, your best bet might be 1) to find someone who wants to trade their 40c for a 9c, or 2) sell your 9c outright (but don't trade it to a gun shop), and buy a 40c. I expect the prices, which have already dropped a good bit over the past two years, to be even lower now that they're being discontinued. 3) Maybe keeping what you've got and buying a used 40c would work, too, as have a used FN handgun is not a problem: the warranty is the same, whether you're the original buyer or a subsequent owner.

Going 40-to-9 is not so bad, just a conversion barrel and maybe some 9 mm mags. Going 9-to-40 is more expensive because you would need the upper slide assembly and barrel, plus mags (for highest reliability). FN isn't selling the Compact slide assembly separately (last time I looked). But, there are deals to be had on complete new 40 compacts, at ~$340. A used one might be an option if you can find one??

·
Registered
980 Posts
A few years back I had a Glock 19 I picked up used. It came with a 9mm conversion barrel, a Glock .40 barrel, and an aftermarket .357 SIG barrel (which I never shot.) The idea of having all the other barrels always seem good, but for a lot of shooters, they'll tend to fixate on one caliber and the other barrels seldom get used.

I've seldom been happy with most of the .40s I've owned (with the exception of a CZ-40B, which shot well in my hands, but I foolishly traded away.) I also had a SIG P226 X-5 Competition in .40 -- which was a top-of-the-line gun, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, but others shot it well. I was ready to give up on .40s for a couple of years.

I traded a Glock 35 with all sorts of upgrades (the way I got it, used), and a S&W M&P Pro in .40 with similar upgrades (also the way I got it) -- with a forum member here for an FNS-40 and FNS-40L. I couldn't shoot either one of those guns worth a crap, but others shooting the same guns liked them and shot them well. My trade of those "on-steroid" .40s for an FNS-40 and FNS-40L was not good trade in the eyes of most folks (certainly not in terms of potential market value, but I shot both of the FNS-40s before I traded, and I shot them far better than the guns I traded for them. I was happy to get rid of two guns that just didn't work for me and pick up two that DID work for me.

I also have a Glock 37 (.45 GAP) with an Apex Tactical .40 conversion barrel and an Apex Trigger system, and it's a great shooting .40 (wearing .45 GAP clothing.) Some things work for me, and other things don't. And I now enjoy shooting .40 S&W for the first time in a long, long time. You can pick up Glock .45 GAP guns for almost nothing; the ammo is available for about the same price as .45 ACP, and they're great shooting guns. After I upgraded the trigger I decidede I wanted another .40, so got the conversion barrel. It's a nice gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts