FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the fns series holds up in water as far as rust goes? I'm not talking about a little rain here or there while I'm carrying. I want to know if anyone knows how it will handle being fully sumburged in water? Any answers are appreciated

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have submerged my FNS, FNX and FNP in water. I have also placed them in freezing temps.

Firearms will not have any problems with water if you take care of them.

In areas with inclement weather we always spent a little time on maintenance when we could. but sometimes it was a
day or two between cleaning even after wading through water.

If you submerge any firearm in water and do not maintain it you are asking for trouble at some point.

I am curious as to what your application of submerging a firearm, and then the time in between cleaning it.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on going on a canoe trip and I would like to carry my gun with me. I do not want to but I am expecting at sometime to be in the water. I always keep my gun very clean and would expect to clean it that day or the following. I was fairly sure it would be fine but my friend told me of a story of rugars sigs and Taurus rusting within about 4 hours of being submerged. I work full time in a steel shop and found it very hard to believe that but I figured there's no harm in asking.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It should be fine. I would put a little extra lube and some grease on it.

I would purchase a waterproof bag for it. Similar to the one in the link, but there are
cheaper alternatives that are all black for concealment. This way you can keep it on
your person if you need it quickly. If you need it quicker than you can pull it out of
the bag then you aren't paying attention to your surroundings.

Overboard Waterproof iPad Case

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never did not think of a ziplock that will work just fine for me. I'm not to conserned with concealment as I live in an open carry state and the people I will be with already know that I have a cpl and conceal carry regularly. Thank you both for the information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I plan on going on a canoe trip and I would like to carry my gun with me. I do not want to but I am expecting at sometime to be in the water. I always keep my gun very clean and would expect to clean it that day or the following. I was fairly sure it would be fine but my friend told me of a story of rugars sigs and Taurus rusting within about 4 hours of being submerged. I work full time in a steel shop and found it very hard to believe that but I figured there's no harm in asking.
Your friend sounds like a jerkjob LOL

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The slide and rails, locking block are stainless. You could potentially get rust on the mag release, take down lever, and slide stops, but other than that you should be okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on doing a little test on it to see how it handles. I'll put it in the sink and post pictures of the results later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts