FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing my vp9 with the fns9 seeing as how I like the vp9 but I like extra rounds and fn seems to have made a very sturdy pistol with the fns. What do you guys think of the two pistols?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Apples and oranges, but I have an FNS-40...and it's pretty awesome...i would assume the FNS-9 is of the same quality!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm looking at replacing my vp9 with the fns9 seeing as how I like the vp9 but I like extra rounds and fn seems to have made a very sturdy pistol with the fns. What do you guys think of the two pistols?
I was in the same boat.

I'd stay with the VP9 since you already have it. IMHO, the fit and finish is superior to the FNS. I like the configurable grip of the VP, the FNS, while the backstrap does interchange, still feels a bit chunky to me.

While a nice pistol, it wasn't worth giving up the VP9 for 2 extra rounds.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I really need to try a VP9 sometime. The range FNS-9 I shot was a very nice shooting gun, low recoil, smooth trigger that was pretty light (not more than 5 pounds from my estimation). Trigger was better than my buddies Walther PPQ (although the Walther breaks slightly better, but his is grittier and a tad heavier, reset on the FNS is better)

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Well, it's a 5" PPQ vs 4" FNS, so not exactly a perfect comparison. The PPQ in this case has the edge, but I'd like to compare same barrel lengths (and side by side). Both are better recoil wise than my FNP-9

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was in the same boat.

I'd stay with the VP9 since you already have it. IMHO, the fit and finish is superior to the FNS. I like the configurable grip of the VP, the FNS, while the backstrap does interchange, still feels a bit chunky to me.

While a nice pistol, it wasn't worth giving up the VP9 for 2 extra rounds.
I bought the FNS-9 first, then got a VP9 late last year. FNS-9 rarely comes out of the safe now that I've got the VP9. I prefer the better grip and better trigger on the VP9 over two extra rounds on the FNS. Pick up the FNS-9 if you are into all things FN, but I wouldn't sell / trade a VP9 for an FNS-9.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fired both and I loved them both. Next to each other I did good with the fns all around, and I did exactly the same with the vp9. I'd have to get used to the feel of the trigger since it feels like a thick circular rod sticking straight down. The vp9 after shooting the fns feels like I'm squeezing play dough to mold to my hand. They both point naturally and the fns just feels a tad sturdier than the vp9. I don't know how to rate the two different mag designs, but I know how much I've abused the vp9 and its mags, dropping, tossing, getting them dropped in sandy mud, not cleaning them after getting lots of dirt in them, etc. the fn is an unknown. Overall I like both equally and I think I will keep the vp9 since I already know it and I run it well and have parts invested in it already. I don't stroke the HK ego either and I recognize a lot of flaws, one of which is the fact that the fns has less recoil and a smoother break. The vp9 wall is just so stiff now after all the rounds I've put through it. But it's almost too soft of a trigger too. I have found myself squeezing off rounds quicker than I'd usually be comfortable with in the vp9 due to the light trigger. I had the same issue with the ppq. The sights are fine on both pistols and bore axis is completely irrelevant in pistols from my experience. The sig pistols have been touted for having a horrendous axis and yet it has the lowest amount of recoil with the 40 that I have ever experienced. The mp40 has less recoil than the glock 22 or the p30 also. Plus under stress I've never found a low bore axis to be helpful. I prefer a higher axis since it's more natural than shrugging and looking like a constipated turtle while you lock out your arms unnaturally and uncomfortably to take a static shot which won't even work in body armor from my experience. But anyways, I think I will keep the vp9 and just get an fns in order to have the pistol I like as my main and a pistol I know and trust as a reserve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.