FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Too hot to press check? Did the early ones not have the visual/tactile loaded chamber indicator?

He mentioned it was "a little bit hard" to work the mag. release as it was "tucked in kind of tight." I'm not the only one that had an issue with it (no longer, I installed a full size frame slide release, which is wider.)

I have never, in 40 years of carrying 1911s, Glock, M&P, XD/XDM or FNS pistols had a magazine get loose in the pistol while in the holster (or out of the holster unless I pressed the button). Anyone here have that issue in the past? Or just read about someone else having it. I was up in the attic of the new shed today, putting down flooring for more overhead storage and I was crawling around on the side the pistol was hanging in a drop leg holster (kind of uncomfortable, but the mag. didn't pop loose).

Yeah, that slide release is stiff.

His pistol has way more distance/travel from reset to striker release than mine. I was impressed with mine. The only other pistol I have that is that "short" is the M&P 2.0 with the Apex trigger in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've had numerous mag disengagements when pocket carrying (using a variety of pocket holsters). Most notably the Ruger LCP. I've also had occasional issues with other pistols IWB & OWB, but I do bump into things alot...maybe to the point of carelessness. I've also had several pistols disengage when carrying while mountain biking.

I do prefer a paddle mag release like on my VP9 and PPQ, but I am ok with the stiff, recessed FNS9c. I rarely carry an extra mag, so speedy mag changes are not terribly critical for me. The right side slide release is slowly improving, but still not as slick as my VP9 or PPQ.

My next video will be comparing manipulating the slide with slick, blood covered hands...comparing using a slide release vs slingshot...FNS9c, VP9, PPQ, and PF9. Kind of dramatic "if it bleeds, it leads" video. The YouTube version I will probably release in B&W and reserve full color for *****ute and Brighteon.

Otherwise I do enjoy shooting the FNS9c and am eager to put a few thousand rounds and dry fires to put the Apex striker to the test.

Plus it looks really cool with my FDE Desert Tech MDR.

FNS9c.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Watched the second video just now.

I noticed the difference/non contact between the slide notch and the slide stop/release awhile back while fiddling with one of mine. Didn't bother me as I thought it was a design feature to insure the slide still locked back in case the left slide broke or got bent somehow.

For years I've carried P09 spare mags. for my P07 and CZ75 19 round magazines for spares for my P01/CZ75 Compact. I figured if I ran it dry I was really in need of more ammo and didn't really care if it looked funny. And, use of the sleeve makes it "pretty" but then you can't use that magazine for the full sized pistols without first removing the sleeve.

One (of several) thing(s) I like about the FNS is the "stop" built into the side of the magazines. It stops the upwards movement of the magazine when inserting it contacting the trigger bar. My CZ magazines don't have anything like that. With the CZ the mags are stopped either by the floorplate striking the frame (slide locked back) or the top round striking the bottom of the slide (slide forward).

Just watched the broken striker video. One question. Was that the old style striker that was recalled and replaced or the newer style striker installed to address the issue with the striker/trigger hanging up in a more ready to fire state?

I installed Apex strikers in two of my FNS slides. The Compact and the Long slide. The Long Slide had the new/replacement striker in it and the Compact had the factory striker in it still. I could see there were differences in the two FN strikers but since it's the only Compact I have I don't know if they should be identical or not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, my wife would say (if I told her about this thread) that I'd jinxed myself.

After several weeks of carrying the Long Slide as I go around doing all kinds of stuff around my home/property it happened today. Twice.

This time of the year I open carry around my property. A jacket adds another layer to move out of the way to get to a pistol carried IWB so I use a drop leg holster for open carry.

I was standing in the yard, I'd let the dogs out of the pen and they were doing the things dogs do and I was watching them and petting them. I happened to look down and see the magazine partly protruding from the pistol. I smacked it back in, wondered (very short time) what had happened, thought about this thread and went on.

An hour or so later I was working on a shelf for the new shed. I was up, down, gathering materials, tools, carrying stuff to the porch, measuring, cutting boards, screwing and nailing pieces together and went into the shed to get the little compressor so I could use the air nailer for some thin boards I wanted to attach to the shelves to keep stuff from being pushed off the shelf. Got inside, bent down to grab the compressor and decided to do a practice draw from an awkward position. Pistol felt funny. Took a look and no magazine in the pistol. Walked outside and it was lying in the chair where I was sitting as I attached the legs to the shelf.

Again, no idea what happened (I'm wondering if moving forward/barckwards in the chair is causing the right side mag. release button to hit the chair/arm frame tubing (folding chair on the porch). Not 100% sure. Decided to grab the M&P 2.0 5" and carry it the rest of the day till I can do some more testing/trialing and determine if it's contact with the chair frame tubing, or something else.

So, there it is, from "it never happened to me" to twice in one day inside of a week.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got it figured out. Paint scraped off the chair tubing is from the back of the slide.

The heavy rubber "grommett" around the post that supports the fabric is what the magazine release is hitting to release the magazine. It's all chewed up. I paid attention to it today, sat different and didn't have it happen while I was working on another set of shelves for the shed.

Back to carrying the FNS Long Slide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts