FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front slide rail on my FNX-40 has a distinct forward movement when pulling the trigger in DA. my FNX-45 does not have this issue. I have spoken to FN's customer service and they said an amount of movement on the front slide rail is completely normal. I have sent it back to them twice now and they have sent it back each time with the same slop on the front slide rails. Is this normal for the FNX-40?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just pulled 3 new FNX-40s from our department armory and checked and none of them have loose rails.
Take the slide off the pistol and look at the front rails. In between them at the rear is the barrel locking block. At the front of them is a horseshoe shaped piece of metal FN calls the spreader. If either one of these parts is not fully seated into notches on the inner surface of the front rails then the slide rails would be loose. Get a punch and a rubber mallet and tap on them to make sure they are fully seated. If you look at the rail indentations from the side, you can see if the rectangular locking block tabs are seated in the notches. The slide rails were designed to be removable and these parts hold them in place.
I am curious though; how can you see any movement in the rails when dry-firing? They are completely covered by the slide and not visible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just pulled 3 new FNX-40s from our department armory and checked and none of them have loose rails.
Take the slide off the pistol and look at the front rails. In between them at the rear is the barrel locking block. At the front of them is a horseshoe shaped piece of metal FN calls the spreader. If either one of these parts is not fully seated into notches on the inner surface of the front rails then the slide rails would be loose. Get a punch and a rubber mallet and tap on them to make sure they are fully seated. If you look at the rail indentations from the side, you can see if the rectangular locking block tabs are seated in the notches. The slide rails were designed to be removable and these parts hold them in place.
I am curious though; how can you see any movement in the rails when dry-firing? They are completely covered by the slide and not visible.
The slide itself moves forward when dry firing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No, it definitely shouldn't do that. There is no play in any of the ones I tried even when I try to push them forward. I would check the locking block and spacer and make sure they are properly seated. Those are the only parts I can think of that would allow any play if not properly installed.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The slide moves forward when dry firing? Every time you pull the trigger in DA?

I'm with Dantalion. Make sure the spreader and locking block are in place properly. If all else fails, you could try getting a new rail and installing it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In playing around with the gun, I thought of another possability. Obviously, if the take-down lever is rotated down to 6 o'clock position it allows you to comletely remove the slide forward and off of the pistol. If you have a faulty takedown lever, where the cuts were not machined properly, or if the shaft of the takedown lever was not secured onto the lever itself with the cuts aligned precisely where they should be, I can see how that could cause the issue you describe.
Have you fired the gun yet? If so, how many rounds through it? Any accuracy issues or malfunctions?
Look for any unusual wear marks on the take-down lever shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My front slide rails don't move at all, but my rear rails have a lot of movement in them. My M&P does not or has very very little movement in the rear rails. I talked fn and they recommended that I send it it. Is this normal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In playing around with the gun, I thought of another possability. Obviously, if the take-down lever is rotated down to 6 o'clock position it allows you to comletely remove the slide forward and off of the pistol. If you have a faulty takedown lever, where the cuts were not machined properly, or if the shaft of the takedown lever was not secured onto the lever itself with the cuts aligned precisely where they should be, I can see how that could cause the issue you describe.
Have you fired the gun yet? If so, how many rounds through it? Any accuracy issues or malfunctions?
Look for any unusual wear marks on the take-down lever shaft.
I have about 350 rounds through the gun. it is no where near as accurate as my Sig p226, but it's not horribly inaccurate. I haven't had the time to disassemble it yet but i will soon. It has however been to FN's service center in Arnold MO twice for this issue so i would assume that it has been taken apart and reassembled properly.

I did some test shooting with it and my p226 last night and you can see the results, one comparison of some slow shooting 60 rounds per gun, one comparison of 15 rounds aimed and properly breathing, another 75 rounds rapid fire. You can see the FNX is less consistent. Bonus picture of shooting with my m&p so you can see that i'm not a horrible shot. FNX-40 vs Sig p226 - Imgur

·
Registered
156 Posts
Freedom, no accuracy issues. That's a mystery.
Rusty#1, the rear rails are rock solid. I can't even slightly shift them up and down or forward and back by hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, FN's support said movement in the front slide rail is normal. I'm not comfortable with it so i'm going to sell the gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from a new guy. I have a new FNX 40, and I also notice that the slide moves very slightly forward when I dry fire. This movement occurs only when dry firing in the double action mode. Curious, I experimented by inserting a loaded mag(at the range)and noticed zero movement. I concluded that the pistol's complex linkage allows this movement. The linkage operates the SA/DA feature, decock feature, and the various positions that the safety can work in. I consider it a matter of no consequence. This movement and front rail motion would be different. Let me emphasize that the observed movement in my pistol is almost imperceptible.

If you take a Glock, S&W M&P, FNX, and about any other pistol and shake it, you'll hear stuff rattle. Designed for general issue to police and military, the FNX series specifications may not satisfy all civilian end users who may be a tad picky-- like me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fnx 40 has zero movement in the rails. Its only had 350 rounds through it in 3 range trips. Accuracy wise, I shoot the fnx better than my p226.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts