FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed the rail on my FNX-40 has a slight pig nose. Is it a problem?

Frame seems straight from rear slides to front slides but from the end of the trigger guard to the front it sags a bit and curves UP. Front of the frame is in contact with the slide. It appears to possibly be pushing up on the slide as the barrel is not centered in the slide hole. The bottom of the barrel is touching the slide.

Little_Scrapper

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
It's not really an issue with function. But if it bothers you, you can usually fix it with a heat gun, or even a hair dryer.

Reactions: LESTER and dank

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long would I have to heat it with a hair dryer to make it formable. A hot air gun is MUCH hotter than the wifes hair dryer.

Trying to figure out how I would even do this. It needs to go up in the middle of the rail and down at the tip?!?!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I've never done it. My FNX-45 has a bit of a snout, but it doesn't bother me. It's a fairly common issue in Glocks also. Google glock pignose fix and I believe you'll find a few videos.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The slide is not getting pushed up. Pretty much all auto's that use this style of lock-up are like that. It allows the barrel to tilt (and for you to get it out). It should be touching the slide to help with accuracy - keeping it in the same place every time.

And I'd personally leave the polymer as it is. That's not a bad pig-nose at all compared to a lot of poly pistols I've seen.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
115 Posts
What looks like the barrel not being centered in the opening is the result of the barrel needing to tilt upwards when the slide is back. The hole in the slide isn't a perfectly straight cylinder, it's beveled on the top so that the barrel can tilt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts