FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal, a few months ago I purchased my first FN an FNX-40 and a month ago I convinced a good friend to join the FN family he opting for the FNX-45. This weekend we shot the snot out of both of them, obviously both are outstanding pistols, extraordinarily accurate with extremely manageable recoil. Two decades ago I carried and competed with a Wilson's tweaked Colt Combat Commander then later carried a Glock 23. Oddly, I've come to determine I shoot the FNX-45 far more accurately even though I am long accustomed to the .40 S&W, odder still the FNX-45 is more comfortable concealed even though it's a larger pistol. The outcome of said battle clearly places the FNX-45 in the winners circle leaving me in a quandary, should I depart with the FNX-40 and "man up" to the FNX-45 or really "man up" and get the FNX-45 Tactical which while fondly fondling at the LGS/Range is as concealable as the its non-tactical brother? Any unbiased suggestions?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have been a Glock guy for most of the past 20 years and still have a few. The G20 alone is enough reason to have one :) and the Gen 4 G21/G20 platforms are actually quite comfortable. Even so, I shoot my FNX 45 Tactical more accurately than any other pistol I have ever owned. The only concern I have regarding carry for the FNX series is the manual safety. For carry, I prefer a striker fired pistol just due to the more simple order of operations under stress... but that's just me. I don't train nearly enough with the FNX to feel comfortable carrying it, but others (yourself possibly included) do. If you can conceal the 45 and the extra (and it is significant) weight of the 15 rounds of 230 ammo don't bother you, go for it.

If you like the tactical, my suggestion is as follows: Get the tactical as it comes loaded with everything you will ever need, including the threaded barrel that is nearly impossible to get if you want it later. Then buy a stock non threaded barrel from one of several 3rd party dealers and use it for carry, thus eliminating any real advantage the stock FNX 45 has over the tactical regarding size. Sights are a little higher but are also trijicon illuminated, thus better for carry anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I cant speak to the comparisons of these two handguns specifically, but I can speak to the differences in the cartridges. I am a LEO and our department dropped the .40 all together. It destroyed our issued Glocks and was harder for some to shoot well. We have a very liberal carry policy, we can carry any quality handgun we want, but not in .40 Our options are 9 or .45 cal. both of these are easier to shoot, equally as accurate, we can argue lethality but between the .40 an .45 I would say that they are about 6's. Cost to shoot is also very close I would guess. Your findings mimic what we learned when comparing the .40 to the .45 or 9mm. I would not fight it, trade the .40 and get the .45

·
Registered
177 Posts
I cant speak to the comparisons of these two handguns specifically, but I can speak to the differences in the cartridges. I am a LEO and our department dropped the .40 all together. It destroyed our issued Glocks and was harder for some to shoot well. We have a very liberal carry policy, we can carry any quality handgun we want, but not in .40 Our options are 9 or .45 cal. both of these are easier to shoot, equally as accurate, we can argue lethality but between the .40 an .45 I would say that they are about 6's. Cost to shoot is also very close I would guess. Your findings mimic what we learned when comparing the .40 to the .45 or 9mm. I would not fight it, trade the .40 and get the .45
I don't understand your statement that Glocks were being destroyed by shooting .40. Can you clarify?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just went through an all day self-defense course with my FNS-40. 200 rounds with almost all on the paper. I don't get all the complaints about the .40 being hard to shoot. I love shooting the .40.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The new Glocks may not either, but the early ones certainly did. Glock traded us out of the .40's for 9's. These guns seen a lot of rounds. I am not saying that all shooters have issue with the .40 only that some have a harder time qualifying with it. There is a some difference in shooting at your leisure and shootings a timed qualification course. Things like recoil and muzzle flip become an issue for some and the .40 has more of both.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I will take the suggestions stated and trade up to the FNX-45, I like the idea of a Tactical with 3rd party non-threaded barrel for my CCW although the Tactical I held at our LGS seemed all too comfortable to conceal to me. As for "issues" controlling the .40 S&W, I never had those, true it does kick a bit but it IS controllable and accurate. My philosophy is one handgun, thought the FNX-40 would fill that bill found out its bigger brother fills it even better. Maybe I can convince the Li'l Woman she needs an FNX-40. Thanks Gentleman!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Ditch the .40! I did because I was way more accurate wih the .45 also
I second this. Not a fan of the 40 because of the recoil characteristic. I feel my followup shots are more precise with the 45.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Administrator
11,396 Posts
I like my HK40 and I like my FNX45T. I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other except the 40 is a compact and conceals easier. I also like the LEM trigger on the 40 and there is no safety, one less thing to remember to do in high stress situations.

Glocks in 40 blowup because of the massive unsupported chamber.

Carry what you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I don't agree with a lot of his videos and past comments but he makes some good points about the caliber here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts