FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hunting deer in Georgia this year. The place is overrun with hogs. I bought the FNX 40 to carry going from my blind to pick up deer. Has anyone used Buffalo Bore 200 gr? What load would you recommend other than get a .357 or 44 mag. I have never had to have a pistol while hunting.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Being originally bred, (yes that's important lol) born, and raised in Texas, I have always been in the habit of carrying a sidearm with my rifle. Them hogs are everywhere !! Never had to use it in any kind of bad situation though. Buffalo Bore probably fine...You may catch heat on the .40 cal., but hey, if it's what you have, carry it, and make it work. I'm certainly not an authority on ammunition...and I'll bet the Buffalo Bore will be up there with anything you can find. I have personally shot quite a few rounds of Hornady Critical DUTY 175 grain bullets and found them to be mild in recoil compared to the lighter faster bullets. It seems to perform well for penetration depth and holds together and expands well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For Hogs and Hanguns I go with 10mm, nothing less.
.40 is a great round on a human but probably not enough penetration on a 200lb ++ boar as it runs at you at 20 mph.
we get a lot of Hogs in Central Florida.
my 10mm choices are
Colt Delta Elite S.S. ported
Glock 21 SF
S&W S.S. 610 revolver, (uses moon clips)

·
Banned
119 Posts
For Hogs and Hanguns I go with 10mm, nothing less.
.40 is a great round on a human but probably not enough penetration on a 200lb ++ boar as it runs at you at 20 mph.
we get a lot of Hogs in Central Florida.
my 10mm choices are
Colt Delta Elite S.S. ported
Glock 21 SF
S&W S.S. 610 revolver, (uses moon clips)
Then your choice would be a pistol chambered in .45 acp......Glock 20 is a 10 mm, not the Glock 21.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most .45's are sub sonic or close to it. So if youre looking for stopping power its arguable if a .45 is better or not. Ivr heard that the 5.56 wont penetrate a hogs skull, and those are traveling pretty fast. Why would a subsonic projectile be better even if its heavier? Check out the ballistics comparison between the two. IMO a larger grain FMJ would be fine for .40. That or a big HP .40.
Where at in GA? I'm stationed in south GA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts