FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I need some help fixing a problem only I could create. I was loading a mag into my fnx 45 tactical and i put it in backwards and shoved it in. Now its stuck and will not budge. I was able to get the slide off by pushing down the 45 acp round and pushing the slide release down. Anyone have any info for me?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Right off hand, about the only thing I can suggest is try to take the base off the mag, let the spring out, so that the rounds drop free. Then you mighte be able to pull the mag out with pliers. (Put some tape over the jaws of the pliers so you don't damage the mag tube.) I'd use vise grips! An empty mag should be easier to pull out than trying to work with one full of rounds.

If you can find some, vinyl protectant (like Son-of-a-Gun or Armor All) squirted or dripped down between the outside of the mag and the inside of the grip frame (as a lube) might make it easier to remove the mag.

SOG and ArmorAll acts like a lube -- and makes metal rubbing against plastic, or plastic rubbing against plastic slide without as much friction. Auto Parts stores (Advance, O'Reilly, etc.) or hardware stores generally have it.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The above is about the only answer which would be practical to use, i would use plenty of lube and long needle-nosed plyers and in a worst case scenario U might have to waste the mag body by squeezing the bottom middle parts of the base together maybe also on top.

Also might try to beat mag body out by using piece of wood and a mallet starting from top!

Tell us how it goes and good luck!

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
In all seriousness, you have created a nasty situation. The problem is the tit on the front of the mag that is designed to lock your mag in place is now facing rearward and has dropped into a cut-out were your hammer spring is located. It looks as if your best solution may be to remove the mag base pad, spring and follower from the mag and completely disassemble the safety and hammer components to allow the mag to be removed by bringing it on out through the top of the frame. By forcing it back down through the mag well you will probably create considerable damage to your frame. Good luck and I hope this solution will work for you !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just happened to be sitting here on the couch checking out my new (just came today) KT Defender in Kryptek Highlander so I took one for the team.

If you haven't figured it out yet, your magazine tab is most likely stuck in the area of the frame where the fire control housing assembly is. Maybe these pictures will make sense? You can't pull the mag out because the tab is stuck on that ledge is my guess. I was able to put a small screw driver down in there and spread the mag away from the housing enough to push it down past that cut out ledge and pull it right out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help everyone!!! I got the mag unstuck thanks to the information that Roadblock provided! It was easy once i got a screw driver thin enough to pry the mag and the housing apart.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Very glad to hear, i just did not know that mag has a protrusion up front instead of 2 slots on side! Keep the screwdriver handy for next time!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Glad he fixed it, reminded me of an issue back in 2005/6 , i had had many AR/AK guns and never cared for any Poly mags except the Bulg Waffle AK mags but had picked up a couple of Thermold mags for my AR's and they worked great so i bought a new FS 2000 took it home and slapped a loaded Thermold mag in it and liked the way it looked and felt.

When i wanted it drop it it nothing happ. it had went in easy but now would not move (dont need to say how stressed i got) so i took off base plate and spring/ammo dropped out i looked and tried to see why it was hanging and sprayed a ton of lube in it but no use.

Finally took a 8" pair of neede nosed plyers and broke mag pieces/chunks off bending mag inwards and after 2/3 mag was in pieces was able to get the rest out fortunately no damage/scratches to gun, since then all i read is Poly mags wont work in this or that gun but certain generations may work or may not!

Well i dont fool with a mag which may or may not work and only use Mil spec alum. mags in my AR or any 5.56 guns, i do use the Bulg Waffle in my AK's, however for those who may not know the new Century 100% USA made (junk) may not or should not use any Polymer made mags do to their magwells (Century Monkeys) being NOT mil. spec.

Arsenal now lists the above on their site about the Century USA made guns!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now stenciling "FRONT" on the leading edge of all my mags... kidding. Good solution, I would have probably removed the guts of the mag and put the base plate on, then used a long dowel to try and "beat" it out the other way, this is a much better solution!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now stenciling "FRONT" on the leading edge of all my mags... kidding. Good solution, I would have probably removed the guts of the mag and put the base plate on, then used a long dowel to try and "beat" it out the other way, this is a much better solution!
That would have sucked! That little nub on on the front of the magazine would have tore the heck out out of the frame before breaking free! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your help everyone!!! I got the mag unstuck thanks to the information that Roadblock provided! It was easy once i got a screw driver thin enough to pry the mag and the housing apart.
Lol. Not laughing at you Ian, just thinking about some of the things I have done in my over 60 years of life gives me a chuckle and your post reminds me that we are all human (not that I ever forgot it).

Glad you got it worked out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts