FN Herstal Firearms banner

FNX-45 High Power Caliber Conversions - Woods Defense Gun

22K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  Tagger13 
#1 ·
I am interested in the FNX platform for a woods defense gun. I have heard a lot of good things about the gun. I intend on using it for woods defense for 4 legged and 2 legged critters (Sasquatch).

I would like a round with more power than the 45 ACP. The 460 Rowland and the 40 Super conversions have caught my eye and I think it would be awesome if everything worked properly with this platform. I was really excited about everything until I made a phone call to EFK Fire Dragon today about one of their 40 Super Barrels.

The lady I spoke with on the phone told me that they don't have any 40 Super barrels in stock and that they rarely produce them because there is a very low demand for them and they end up sitting on the shelf for a year before they sell. They don't have any plans on making them anytime soon. She is keeping a list of people who are interested, so if you are interested give them a shout so we can get some made up.

I then started asking her about other options and asked if they ever made any 460 Rowland barrels and she said that they used to but they stopped. Why, I asked. She said because the round was really hard on their test guns and test shooters. It would crack the polymer frames and the shooters complained about the recoil.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really see the gun kicking so bad that the recoil is unbearable. It's less power than a 44 mag with a comp - I would think it would be kinda mild; somewhere around a standard 45 acp maybe? Maybe they didn't have them setup with comps or buffers? Nevertheless this report scares me pretty badly that I would crack the FNX frame or cause some other damage. I was thinking about a conversion kit from 460 Rowland.com

I am also considering the Glock 20 in 10mm and the Glock 21 converted to 460 Rowland or 40 Super. There are a few cons with the Glock IMO though which make me like the FNX more: The glock has a worse trigger, lower capacity with the G21, and a huge grip.

Questions:
I was wondering if anybody had any positive or negative experiences with such conversions?
Any other suggestions on conversions or other platforms which may be good for what I'm after?
Anybody know where I may be able to find a 40 Super barrel for sale?
If you do have this conversion, was it hard to get it to function reliably? What did you have to modify/do to get it to work properly? What ammo were you using?
Are the EFK barrels quality?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
New to the forum. I do a lot of backpacking and the idea of being able to carry my FNX-45 for woods protection really interested me. For weeks I searched for info on the FNX-45 .460 Rowland conversion and couldn't really find any reviews or public info on it. I was also concerned about damage to my frame so I emailed the folks at .460 Rowland (great customer service) and was told:

"We have run Glocks and XD's, which are built very much like your FNX-45, for almost 10 years now with no unusual wear and tear. I am confident the FNX will hold up at least as well."

I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot, with the idea that I would not put large amounts of .460 Rowland through the gun. I bought a threaded FN manufactured barrel from Midwest Gunworks ( $20 cheaper than the "add a barrel" option on the .460 Rowland website) and sent it, along with my slide, over to .460Rowland. They re-chambered it, fit the compensator, cut the threads for the set screws, added a heavier recoil spring, and polished the breech face. Took about 10 days for it to turn back up on my doorstep. I'm headed to the range this weekend and I'll report back on how it shoots.

#7 ·
Range Report: FNX-45 w/ .460 Rowland conversion

I shot 50 rounds of "Johnny's 240gr magnum FMJ HP" from .460 Rowland.com. The gun functioned flawlessly using the .460 ammo, with no failures experienced. I checked every spent casing for signs of cracks or primer bulging and found none. I inspected the frame for signs of stress or damage and everything looked good. Recoil was stiff but very manageable due to the compensator. I also ran 200 rds of 45 acp through it using the stock recoil spring. .460 Rowland recommends removing the compensator for 100% reliability when using .45 acp and I can attest to this. I ran a few magazines of .45acp with the compensator and experienced a few failures to eject. Removing the compensator rectified the issue, with no malfunctions throughout the rest of my shooting. I will run a few hundred more rounds of .460, .45 Super, and .45 ACP through the gun over the next few weeks and give another update.

#8 · (Edited)
The .460 Rowland conversion sounds pretty interesting.

Could the FNX-45 be converted to 10mm? Is there enough space (length) in a FNX-45 barrel for a 10mm length chamber? Is the ejection port long enough?

And here I mean, could FN America build a 10mm gun on the FNX-45 platform, not so much could the individual cobble something together.

That would be something -- a "FNX-10" with about 18 rounds of 10mm... a very good hog gun or gun for defense against critters in the north woods.

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry for the lack of updates, i've been tied up with a few other projects.

Here's a little range report:
Since last post I've put about 300rds of .460R through the FNX-45/460R without any issues. It was a mix of different offerings from Underwood and .460rowland.com. Also ran 100 rds of .45 super (255g hard cast Underwood) without any issues. Recoil is very similar to the .460R loads when using .45 super. For both the .460R and .45 Super I run it with the compensator installed and the heavier recoil spring supplied by .460R. I enjoy using the compensator when shooting .45 acp, but it can be picky with lower power factory loads. Blazer .45 acp 230g FMJ seems to run reliably with the compensator installed, using the OEM recoil spring/guide rod. In this configuration recoil is very similar to a full size 9mm and makes the gun hard to put down at the range. The accuracy across all three loads is excellent and I've been able to get a few 5 Inch groups at 100 yrds using the .460R loads. Point of impact is a bit high at these distances so you must compensate by holding a few inches low on the target.

Hunting
I had the opportunity to take a Whitetail 130lb Doe in December using this gun. I employed the .460R.com 240g "Magnum" JHP. It was extremely effective and dropped it immediately at 25 yrds. It penetrated all the way through, leaving an exit wound about the size of a half dollar.

Comparison to Glock 20 10mm
In my opinion the FNX-45/450R using .460R loads has a good bit more recoil than 10mm, even when compared to the hot 10mm underwood and buffalo bore offerings. I compared them side by side at the range and there was a very noticeable difference between them.

Thanks for reading, I'll do my best to respond to any questions in a timely manner

#12 ·
Woods defense gun

Not to be a sarcastic ass but my daughter has a German Shepard that weighs just a bit less than the 130lb Whitetail. If you really want to test your plastic gun out (I own a FNX 45 Tactical) come up to Alaska and see how you feel with an underpowered round in your hand while you are ****ting yourself because you just disturbed a mother black bear's cubs. While Brown bears are bigger they will usually bite and swipe you until they think you are dead.... a female black bear will disembowel you and feed your still living body to herself and her cubs. You might be surprised how different it is in big woods rather than shooting through your chronograph from a bench, and the much vaunted concept of extra rounds in a Rowland conversion or the various 10mm semiautos out there don't matter at all when she bursts from the woods at a full speed charge only 17 yards away. The two times it happened to my hunting partner and I we were both glad that we carry our rifles with a round in the chamber, cocked and off safe.... you can not afford to lose even a part of a second.

#11 ·
Thanks for the update! I'm still procrastinating about sending my slide and barrel off for the conversion; however, I've already purchased 300 rounds of 460R, to MAKE myself follow through eventually.

Thanks for the tip on the Blazer 230g, I almost certainly won't want to go through even the minimal hassle of uninstalling the compensator to shoot "regular" 45ACP.

#15 ·
While I don't have my conversion yet, I get it after the July 4 holiday, the fnx is a super strong firearm and even guys running glock conversions are not having issues with wear and tear. The guys at 460rowland.com said they have 3 fnx 45s one with 2000 460 shot the others under that and there is no visible wear or reliability issues. They stated the fnx is probably the perfect firearm for this conversion. If one does have a issue and damage occurs I don't see FN being able to tell if a 460 conversion was done if one just removes the conversion and replace it with the original barrel and recoil spring. Not suggesting anyone lies to FN but you get my point. I don't see the fnx breaking with conversion.
As soon as I get mine in mail I will do a series of pics and vids of install and shooting it and be as detailed and thorough as I can. Eventually I will do ballistic testing series and a reloading series.

#18 ·
Please do keep us informed Northfolk! I picked up a light weight 30-06 bolt gun (chickened out on the 375H&H) with 220gr for hiking but still can't stop thinking about a 10mm/41mag/460 sidearm. For now it's 45acp with buffalo bore 255gr +P. I still want the FNX but it doesn't make sense to me in 45 since I have that caliber pretty well covered from a collection standpoint.

#19 ·
Will do FN47! I'm quite anxious to get going on this.
30-06 is a great powerful long-range caliber that gets the job done. I have a Browning xbolt in 30-06 and while Ive taken white tails at 300yds and less with regular ease Ive hit 24" square plates at 1000+ at a range in SD and they still had some energy left. Some say it's a dead caliber for hunting but I disagree having shot numerous large calibers like 7mm rum, 300 mag and 338 mag. I would honestly say 270 and 30-06 are my favorite large game calibers.
And the 45 with +p ammo is a great woods gun especially if it holds 15+1!
Any 10mm with good ammo would work. I'm not a revolver guy but love the s&w 500 mag but its massive. If i wasn't doing the 460 rowland, of which i already have a rem r1 conversion, a glock 20 or 40 would be my woods choice.

#20 ·
The 460 Rowland guys were able to send me a picture of the FNX45-T in FDE done as a conversion earlier this week. And I was sold. But then a buddy I convinced to buy a Springfield TRP in 10mm earlier this year told me he doesn't use it anymore and asked if I would ... so I got the 10mm :D no 460 Rowland to be sure though. Maybe yet some day

#25 ·
I may break down tomorrow and buy the FNX45-T from 460 tomorrow... I shouldn't but ... I feel like I Have to. I have an infection ... large bore autoloading pistol fever

#26 ·
Welp, it's official. I ordered the FNX45 Tactical in FDE strait from 460Rowland. They say it'll ship in around 2-3 weeks, so a month from now I should be shooting the 255gr hard cast lead cartridges I bought for it. Finally ready to protect my family while hiking out west!! :LOL:

Reactions: Pahani
#28 ·
Damn! That's a good chunk of coin. I'm glad they said it's only a 2-3 week wait under current situation. I've been waiting on a AR Mutant going on 9 weeks now.
They have been nothing but helpful at 460rowland.com. Good people in OK.

I now have two full fnx 460 conversations, both standard, I don't do optics on handguns anyway. I do have a fnx 45 T but haven't shot it since 2016 much like my mark 57 and will probably sell/trade both soon. Got fnx on a trade in 2014 for a heavy White Oak AR15 I built and eventually hated.
Buddy has the tactical conversion with his trijicon but it takes a beating, not sure if any brand rmr could survive 460R longterm.
We are reloading 460 now at a good pace. He's pretty much mastered a great 230g load that matches Underwood's specs. We have about 5000 250 and 255 hardcast bullets but haven't began reloading them.
I just bought that standard 460 from a guy who emailed me after I put up a armslist ad to buy any 460 reloading items few weeks ago. He couldn't handle it after only a few mags through it and offered it to me for 1000 along with some ammo and 4 mags. Being in state I drove to him next day and grabbed it.
Point to that story is my unfired fnx 45 standard 460 is now for sale along with a ton of mags and ammo for 1500 cash or top tier ar/ak trade. MN only. Was just about to post it for sale here to but I'd rather keep it in state and I'm already getting offers and interest on armslist. Fibbed a little in ad about my new standard having 1000 rounds through it when it only has 50 but wanna give folks a sense that this is a reliable conversation, but buddys tactical conversion makes up for it as he's shot well over 2k in 460, 1k in Super and 5k in 45 auto no issues outside of failures early on with new reloads.

Ad

Enjoy! I'll be doing some photos and vids soon but just not enough time in the day right now. I haven't even shot any gun in over 2 weeks, that's a hella longtime for me.

#33 ·
Fair enough. I saw 45 vs 10mm, rather than 460 vs 10mm. That said, I don't know if the wider bullet will penetrate as easily on hogs, even with the greater velocity. If I had both, I'd do some comparison work next time at the ranch. My point still stands with regards to bear though. It's better to be able to put more hits on target, and the data on known bear attacks defended with a pistol bears that out. Much like with ordinary conceal carry, as long as you stick with 9mm or larger, you can successfully defend yourself against a bear. Hog, as those of us in the south know, is a different story. With that said, that 460 conversion costs almost as much as I paid out for a G29, not even counting the cost of a 45 to begin with (which I have a FNX-45 just can't justify the cost of a conversion atm).

#34 ·
Absolutely that "ain't no .46" saying is dead.

I haven't seen a good .41mag for sale in 10 years.

The 255 hardcast bullet for 460 rowland is thee semi bear killer! I hunt in northern mn and nm and have never seen a bear closer then 200 yards. My main game with the 460 would be blm bears, particularly around parents home which is 7 blocks from burnt down 3rd precinct. Hogs absolutely! Hell deer wouldn't have a chance.

They got 460R nickel brass for the 230 grain and extreme penetrator. Not sure why they ain't using it for all loads.

I threw this math in my ad on armslist

"That's the package! A great semi-auto with .44 mag standard power! Actually this is the most powerful semi handgun in the world. Math proves it!
FNX45 15+1=16 × 1019lbs=16,304lbs vs
Desert Eagle with 300gr 7+1=8 × 1663lbs=13,304lbs
Glock 40 with 135gr 15+1=16 × 767lbs=12,272lbs
Only limp wristers wouldn't want this gun."

Can't wait to see that new fnx 460R!

Attachments

#35 ·
@Northfolk looks like we caught the same disease!

Got a little more 460 ammo in yesterday, And 460Rowland.com issued my tracking slip for shipping my converted FNX! Hoping to see the package arrive on the tracking site today fingers crossed but didnt expect to get that email so soon.

We will be defending our families from bears shortly

Reactions: Northfolk
#36 ·
FDE FNX45 from 460 Rowland arrived today at the FFL! Pretty awesome turn around time. Looking forward to visiting her tomorrow before she starts her time in waiting period jail. Exciting times. I will post pics if there's an appropriate time to take any. Otherwise it might not be until range report this weekend (!!)

Reactions: Northfolk
#37 ·
I will say, that is a nice thing if I ever decide to go through with a conversion. They're near my hometown and inside of 2 hours from where I live currently. So I wouldn't have to mess with shipping. That's just really low on the priority list at the moment though, I need a tac slide first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.