FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here, just got done introducing myself. I am interested in a hi-cap .45, and am really considering the FNX .45, and am looking for any information about it that I may be overlooking, or anything that sets it apart from other models. From what I understand about the FNX .45, it is fully ambi (huge for me, I'm a southpaw), holds 15+1, DA/SA, safety/decocker, and can be carried cocked and locked or hammer down (safety on or off). What I'm looking for is what sets it apart from other hi-cap .45's like the Glock 21, XD/XDm, or M&P. My intended use for it is a nightstand firearm, and woods gun. I spend a fair amount of time out in the woods, and here in SE KY, it wouldn't be unheard of to stumble on a marijuana grow operation, or even something like a bear (not saying that this is a bear defense gun, but I'd rather send something .45 at one than any of my 9mm). Some concerns that I've heard about the FNX series of firearms is that if they get too hot, the trigger quits working (or something along those lines, it doesn't want to fire), and that doing anything other than a basic field strip is very tough to do. I CC a Glock 26 and love that I can completely detail strip it. I'm not too worried about the size of it, I own a Beretta M9, and their dimensions are close enough that I think that won't be a problem.
So, to sum it up, why a FNX .45 over the other models listed?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What you have heard I believe is completely wrong. The FNX-45 is the best .45 acp I have and I own several. The recoil is about like a 9mm so follow up shots are much quicker to acquire target. I have the tactical model with the threaded barrel so I can use my TiRant suppressor. Also, the 15+1 mag capacity is the best of any .45 handgun. The ambi controls are true ambi out of the box. You can use the included changeable back straps to customize it to fit your hand. Also, the tactical model has a shaved slide and already machined to accept a red dot site. Any negative you have heard about the gun is most likely false. I have not heard a single thing about any filature so when the gun gets hot.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I can only speak from my experience with mine, but I have never had any issues with my FNX-45T. Fired a bunch of rounds through it, and not one issue, especially nothing along the lines of it getting too hot or the trigger not working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find the original source that I heard that, but here is one from this forum that discusses the topic. The original one I read did not say if it had been fixed, or what models that it would do it to, it just stated "FNX" handguns. The thread I am going to post below, seems to state that it didn't get the FNX .45, it was fixed before it came out.
I apologize about the confusion. Thanks for the replies so far! Still looking for more feedback!
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/45772-did-they-fix-heat-problem-fnx.html

·
Registered
932 Posts
The only gun that I can compare my FNX 45 pistols to is the Glock 21C. I'm very happy with my FNX 45s and carry one off duty. The recoil is sweet, the capacity is awesome, and the grip, even though blocky, is outstanding. I have owned another full size 45 which was the Hk45. Hands down FNX 45 wins. Price, number of magazines and capacity is 15 rds of 45acp. I believe that the FN firearms are just as well made as the Hk and so much more than Glock. (I have several Hk and Glock pistols) and the prices are so much better and affordable.

I believe for your intended use, you will enjoy the FNX 45. If you can shoot one first, you will be sold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very happy with my FNX 45s and carry one off duty.
That's one thing I forgot to include, how does it feel if you CCW it? Like I mentioned earlier, it is comparable to the M9 in size, and I find CCing that beast can be a task. Also, what is the holster selection like?

·
Registered
153 Posts
A FNP-45.....love it. I have smaller fingers on a fat hand but the curved back strap works great for me. I'm damn accurate with it at 50'.

·
Registered
932 Posts
For me concealed carry of my FNX45 is simple. Right now I use a universal Uncle Mikes belt slide holster as I am still trying to decide which way I want to go. I'm 6'02" 290lbs (some muscle!) and I can conceal it very well. Honestly, I am not concerned if a person sees the print of my sidearm as I'm legal to carry as I have a lifetime gun carry permit and I'm a police officer so HR218 also protects me.
The FNX 45 is a great buy for these reasons: 15rd mag capacity of 45acp, (3) mags, nice case, awesome recoil & feel and finally, the price. Some fullsize 45 pistols have large capacity mags such as the glock 21 at 13rds(?) and it comes with (3) mags. And then you have some 45 pistols such as the Hk45 that only offers 10rd mags and you only get (2). As far as price, I think the G21 and the FNX45 are similar but the standard Hk45 is what around $1,100.00? So it breaks down to recoil and mag capacity. IMO, FNX45 wins.
Do not get me wrong, all 3 above mentioned guns are great in there own ways but having owned and shot all 3, again the FNX45 wins.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What I really like about the FNX-45T is how FN warps the space time continuum and manages to fit a double stack .45 into a grip that I can get my tiny hand around.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
What I really like about the FNX-45T is how FN warps the space time continuum and manages to fit a double stack .45 into a grip that I can get my tiny hand around.
This :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Fwiw
ill vouch for the fnx45. I like it...... It gets most of my shooting , Not to downplay my Beretta 92fs Inox..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts