FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned earlier, I bought an FNX-45 last weekend and yesterday and today were the first chances I've had to fire it. Since I had it all week at home I decided to follow some of the other forum advice and left it in the safe with the slide locked back to help loosen the springs a bit. Prior to taking it to the range I cleaned it thoroughly with Fireclean.

I put 350 rounds through it over the last two days, mostly PMC Bronze but also a box of WWB just to make sure it worked fine. None of it had any problems.

I've never owned a 45 before and spent all my time on handguns with 9mm and 380, with only an occasional series of magazines put through some friends 1911s over the years. As a result, the recoil was more than I expected and I was not nearly as accurate as I had hoped I would be with the first couple magazines :evil:. Ironically the first shot was pretty spot on accurate (within 1" of the bull) but follow up rounds were all over the 8" target. It took me a little while to realize that I needed to change the grip on the gun a bit; I was holding it too loosely and not managing the recoil properly.

Once I settled down my groups started to get a lot better and today's session went far better; 4" at 25'. Not great by any means but improving nicely.

Just an all around fantastic gun. Paired up with my FNS-9 I'm having a blast at the range.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Good to hear it's running well. Recoil is noticeably less than my 1911, even though they weigh about the same (aluminum framed CCO 1911). I shoot my 1911 and FNX 45 Tac about the same, and both are very accurate guns.

Ever shoot +p 9mm? I feel like it has similar recoil to 45, albeit snappier than the 45.

Another tip, you might want to get some snap caps and have a buddy load them into your mags for you. You'll probably find you're flinching, which would explain the larger groupings. Also, shooting it more helps significantly, and IMO, is a more fun way to get more accurate :D

Reactions: dralison

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear it's running well. Recoil is noticeably less than my 1911, even though they weigh about the same (aluminum framed CCO 1911). I shoot my 1911 and FNX 45 Tac about the same, and both are very accurate guns.

Ever shoot +p 9mm? I feel like it has similar recoil to 45, albeit snappier than the 45.

Another tip, you might want to get some snap caps and have a buddy load them into your mags for you. You'll probably find you're flinching, which would explain the larger groupings. Also, shooting it more helps significantly, and IMO, is a more fun way to get more accurate :D
Thanks for the tips Dan. I've never shot +p 9mm. I'll have to try it in the FNS-9. I'm getting excellent accuracy with it.

Also the snap cap idea is great. A friend of mine at work is a former Green Beret and he suggested that same method to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the FNX-45 out again today after work, putting another 150 rounds through it. My groups got continually better, with my final 15 magazine looking pretty tight at 25':

FNX-45-target.jpg

Time to buy more ammo. Again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts