FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

New to the forum. Just got an FNX-45 Tactical out here in California (through the annoying Single Shot Exemption process), but I need to make it legal by swapping out the barrel for a non-threaded version. I feel like I'm chasing a unicorn!

Midwest Gunworks doesn't seem to stock them, I'm on the waiting list with EFK Fire Dragon, and I've emailed FN parts dept a few times, but haven't heard back. Aside from directly calling FN parts, any other ideas?

I'm specifically looking for the black unthreaded barrel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
prepare yourself for trade offers!

While we are on the subject... Trade you my non threaded off my FNX-45 :p

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check with Sarge. When I was looking for a barrel when bringing my FNX T into CA, he mentioned that FN was planning to release later this year. PM Sarge to see if he can help.
I was on the waiting list with EFK, too. I was lucky to finally get one but only after waiting for nearly 3 months.

Or plan to swap :-/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to add that I'm not entertaining any trade offers at this time. I want to hang on to the threaded barrel for when I move out of state.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good move on keeping the barrel. I'm opting to do same for when I move out of Commifornia. It also helps with resale, if you ever need to sell.
Call up EFK, if you haven't already. Really great people to work with and been very happy with their product so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How do I get one into CA? I've heard different stories...For those that brought them into California, does 7" barrel through SSE allow you to make the transfer? My FFL told me I needed to have a non-treaded barrel to perform the safe handling exam....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most FFL who do SSE simply slide in a 'barrel' within the standard barrel (for FNX T, it's 45 ACP) and it is then capable of shooting .22 rimfire. So you need a functioning .45 ACP barrel for them to 'convert' to a .22 7" barrel. The law doesn't require a particular caliber to make SSE, just simply needs to be capable of firing only a single round, hence the internal sleeve for .22.
For me, I waited until the EFK barrel was available then I purchased the FNX. Since my FNX was ppt from FNF member, the seller just removed the barrel and shipped that directly to me. With the EFK barrel also shipped to me, I simply went to my LGS gave them the EFK barrel so it would be fully functional then they converted to SSE (inserted sleeve capable of .22). It is not illegal to posses a threaded barrel, rather to have it installed in the pistol is illegal in CA.
Just talk with your FFL who will receive the FNX and ask them what are they capable of receiving. Some FFL cannot legally receive an "evil" semi-pistol with threaded barrel installed so you may need a supplier (ppt or shop) to remove barrel prior to it coming into CA. It really depends on your LGS FFL level, as how I understood it.

The pains of living behind the iron curtain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a threaded barrel that I am planning on having cut (cut the threads). I am just wondering if by cutting the threads, will I lose any accuracy out of it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should not as long as it is cut right and has a proper chamfer on it. Just curious but why did you purchase a threaded barrel only to cut the threads off?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps I'm incorrect but I thought the FNP45 barrels would interchange with the FNX.....MW shows they have that barrel in stock, but then states it does not fit the FNX45. I know the slides are interchangeable. I just picked up a Tac, used the non threaded barrel from my N-Tac to make it legal through the process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Perhaps I'm incorrect but I thought the FNP45 barrels would interchange with the FNX.....MW shows they have that barrel in stock, but then states it does not fit the FNX45. I know the slides are interchangeable. I just picked up a Tac, used the non threaded barrel from my N-Tac to make it legal through the process.
I would like to know this as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got off the phone with FN-USA and they took my order for a FNX.45 non-threaded barrel. They expect to receive them in late December or early january. The price was $188.00.

·
Registered
161 Posts
How do I get one into CA? I've heard different stories...For those that brought them into California, does 7" barrel through SSE allow you to make the transfer? My FFL told me I needed to have a non-treaded barrel to perform the safe handling exam....
yes, properly liscensed FFLs can bring the pistol into the state, and transfer them to you. you can actually purchase all the threaded barrels you want in CA, it's only illegal to assemble them into a pistol. What you decide to do with regards to trading the barrel, machining off the threads etc is up to you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If looking for an EFK barrel, you need to call them. They do small runs of batches so get on the waiting list. That is what I did and got mine within a months time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Another buddy bought an FNX T and brought into Cali, same thing. Less than a month of being on a waiting list, he was notified it was ready to buy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts