FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ok ok I'm sorry if this seems repetitive but I've taken ownership of a 45tac and have loved every shot, I've had lots if guys at the range with composite glocks saying rubbing alcohol is great as it degreases and doesn't hurt polymers, I have cleaned the gun after every use entirely with 91% alcohol and it leaves the slide greyish/degreased clean I then wipe it off with a microfiber cloth and apply a thin layer if hoppes oil then wipe off then repeat oil and the slide looks like a beautiful brand new gun, and the frame looks brand new as well, I then re-oil the intrrnal frame mech with hoppes and use FireClean on the inside slide and barrel and so far the gun has looked FANTASTIC and performed just as well. But... I have heard nothing but "Don't use alcohol, water bad, ruin blueing/coatings!" What do you all think?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
FN uses similar finish to Glocks (melonite, and I've also hear DLC coating-however I'm not sure if that's entirely true). Melonite won't be affected by alcohol like bluing could be.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Depends on the finish. When i firecleaned my SCAR, the directions say to clean the weapon first with alcohol. Went fine with the SCAR. i figured i would do one of my AKs at the same time. If you leave the alcohol on an AK for more than a couple seconds you can see the finish start to drip away. When i saw purple liquid dripping off of my AK i figured that probably wasnt a good thing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I go to Bayou Dragon which is just a few miles from me or to the sheriff's range when I want long range. It's really nice but man it is a hell of a drive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FN uses similar finish to Glocks (melonite, and I've also hear DLC coating-however I'm not sure if that's entirely true). Melonite won't be affected by alcohol like bluing could be.
Its DLC. alcohol is something ive never tried. on a gun anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts