FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has a forum member used 45 ACP +P or 45 Super ammunition in the FNX-45/Tactical and how did the pistol perform? I am looking for member experience on powerful ammunition and how the pistol performed. Please list the ammunition used, brand, specs, pistol and how the pistol performed. :bullets:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have used 230gr HST +P. The pistol handles it very well with recoil only a tad bit more than standard. No signs of pressure issues at all. Velocity of this round out of the 5.3 inch barrel of the 45 Tac averages 952fps. Recovered diameter of a round I fired into water was .89

·
Super Moderator
20,345 Posts
i shot 50 rounds of hornady critical duty 45 auto+p 220gr thru my new tactical today and had no issues.:?

·
Registered
570 Posts
+P ammo should be able to fire perfectly fine through all modern handguns. The FNX45 design after the FNP was to be able to take more then just one type of ammo. (FNP was meant for NATO)

But on the topic with +p ammo. Has any one touched +p+

Always been afraid to put +p+ loads through my firearms.

·
Registered
345 Posts
+p+ ammo is not loaded to SAMMI specs so I doubt very many manufacters will reccomend using it in their guns.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ran some Underwood 185+P through mine today and it worked great!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have run all these with no problems; Hornady TAP 230+P; Hornady Critical Duty 220+P; Federal HST 230+P; Federal Tactical Bonded 230+P; Winchester Ranger T 230+P; Speer GD 200 +P; as well as Win PDX1 230; Gold Dot 230; Fed AE 230 ball; DT 230 fmjfp. Have not tried any of my BuffaloBore 45Super loads and probably won't. I have fired all these thru both my FNX45 and my FNX45Tactical. The hottest round in my opinion of these are the Hornady Critical Duty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I shot a box of Hornady Duty Critical +P in my "new" FNX 45 Tac. with no issues at all. It was rated at 990fps at the muzzle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shopping Galleria Load; For my new toy

Purchased the FNX-45 Tactical (Happy New Year) installed an SS Grizzly Muzzle Brake Compensator in Dark Earth, Vortex Red Dot and low Profile Rail Laser; have Nightingale in Ohio building my gun leather as we speak!

In looking at your +P post (I have SIG 230 Grain loads too and 4 clips I pack), My guy got me something I LIKE. It's a 78 Grain round that runs down the road at "1900 FPS"with 12"penetration and 653 foot pounds of energy (.89" groups). Seemed like the perfect public setting load so as not to go through Mr. Bad Guy into Mrs. Mom. Every heard of the stuff? Always appreciate informed opinions being an expert in another field; fell in love when I found my FNX and had to have her👍 So it's not a vest load or something to shoot through something to hit the mark, but for me it has a designed purpose that fits my bill. Interesting how much lighter the clips are when held next each other.

Has a forum member used 45 ACP +P or 45 Super ammunition in the FNX-45/Tactical and how did the pistol perform? I am looking for member experience on powerful ammunition and how the pistol performed. Please list the ammunition used, brand, specs, pistol and how the pistol performed. :bullets:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Public Use Ammo

I found some 78 Grain loads for my FNX-45 Tactical that have interesting ballistics. 12" penetration so it stops in Mr. Bad Guy and does not hit Mom behind him. Important in carry situations. It runs at 1900fps with 653 foot pounds of energy. Significant difference in clip weight. Not what you were looking for but thought I'd mention it. These loads are manufactured by Liberty and are +P.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Buffalo Bore 44 Remington Magnum +P+ 340 Grain in my Ruger Redhawk -- Powerful!!! :icon_e_biggrin:

PS The Ruger Redhawk is one of the handguns that Buffalo Bore lists as safe to shoot this ammo.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"FNX-45/Tactical 45 ACP +P" Yes, I have run: Federal American Eagle AE45A – 230 Grain (821.9 fps), Remington L45AP4 – 230 Grain (811.3 fps), Speer Gold Dot 53966 – 230 Grain (845.6 fps),
Federal HST – 230 Grain (871.3 fps), Federal HST +P – 230 Grain (931.3 fps), Hornady XTP +P – 230 Grain (935.8 fps), Hornady Critical DUTY +P – 220 Grain (990.9 fps), Winchester Ranger RA45TP – 230 Grain (+P) (975.0 fps) - Those numbers are the average for a 5 shot string ! And they both shot amazingly close on speed and perceived recoil. This is at 7000+ feet Elevation tho, your mileage may vary !!! No problems at all !!! The XTP's are my choice for a carry round, I like the way they shoot - DEAD ON !!! They have limited expansion and Deep penetration, and they feel good - Not too excessive. Mike - US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts