FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a new FNX-45 Tactical this week. The first 2 accessories I am looking at getting are a red dot (Trijicon adjustable RMR) and a compensator. My issue is with choosing a compensator. I can find 3 different compensators at the moment:
- Lone Wolf (Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Compensator 45 .578 x 28 - $69.95): $70
- VHM (Pistol Compensators - $62.50 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors): $63
- Grizzly Gunworks (hand gun compensator): $145
There are multiple youtube videos and forum posts about the Lone Wolf one, but I cant find anything about the other two. Has anyone had any experience with the VHM or Grizzly Gunworks or heard anything about their compensators for the 45T? I am leaning towards the Grizzly one because it is specificaly for the 45T, and it just looks better (although it does look rather large compared to the others), but at double the cost I would like to know more about it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I say go with YHM and post about it. Worst case you need to return it and get something else. Plus its the least expensive, win win.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion, I really do not think you should bother with a compensator, due to the design of the FN, the recoil is very manageable and not an issue.
Cost asside, what would be the down side? I have heard of some potential cycling issues with weak ammo, but other than that I can only see it helping. The less recoil and muzzle flip the better. (and I hear there are issues with the thread protector staying on while firing, so replacing that is an added bonus)

·
Banned
1,509 Posts
Why bother? If I were you, I would keep the money and use it to pay the $200 tax stamp for the suppressor you said you will be buying.

A compensator won't make that big a difference anyway.

Your money to spend as you please, just think you are wasting it if you buy a compensator.

·
Registered
510 Posts
^ What they said.

Compensators on .45's are for people who know this much > 0 about shooting.

Or maybe they want to look cool. Or maybe both.

Spend the money elsewhere, and thank everyone here later for it :)

Better yet, go to the machine shop, where they are made, talk to the designers, learn how they work. Before you read some online or watch some youtube.

Then you'll go, "OHHHH... seriously?!"

:)

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd say talk with SgtStrykerUSMC43 and let him price out a suppressor for you before buying--
IIRC, he beat the competition by triple digits when I was looking--

·
Banned
1,509 Posts
^ what they said.

Compensators on .45's are for people who know this much > 0 about shooting.

Or maybe they want to look cool. Or maybe both.

Spend the money elsewhere, and thank everyone here later for it :)

better yet, go to the machine shop, where they are made, talk to the designers, learn how they work. Before you read some online or watch some youtube.

Then you'll go, "ohhhh... Seriously?!"

:)

this ^^^^

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am purchasing a new FNX-45 Tactical this week. The first 2 accessories I am looking at getting are a red dot (Trijicon adjustable RMR) and a compensator. My issue is with choosing a compensator. I can find 3 different compensators at the moment:
There are multiple youtube videos and forum posts about the Lone Wolf one, but I cant find anything about the other two. Has anyone had any experience with the VHM or Grizzly Gunworks or heard anything about their compensators for the 45T? I am leaning towards the Grizzly one because it is specificaly for the 45T, and it just looks better (although it does look rather large compared to the others), but at double the cost I would like to know more about it. Any help would be appreciated.
Just ran across this old post tonight. What compensator did you go with? Doesn't look like you were getting much help from those that replied. Anyone who says a compensator doesn't work has obviously never used one. A properly made compensator absolutely DOES work if they are used with the proper ammo. They are designed to work better with hotter ammo. I've used various compensators in competition for years and they work very well. To the posters saying compensators don't work, they should look at any open division pistol match. They'll notice that everyone has one. They are no substitute for solid fundamentals, and they won't help you a bit on that first shot, but they will help with follow ups.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just ran across this old post tonight. What compensator did you go with? Doesn't look like you were getting much help from those that replied. Anyone who says a compensator doesn't work has obviously never used one. A properly made compensator absolutely DOES work if they are used with the proper ammo. They are designed to work better with hotter ammo. I've used various compensators in competition for years and they work very well. To the posters saying compensators don't work, they should look at any open division pistol match. They'll notice that everyone has one. They are no substitute for solid fundamentals, and they won't help you a bit on that first shot, but they will help with follow ups.
I was hoping to find someone who makes something similar to the ones that are made for the 509 tacticals. They’re very seamless as far as cosmetics go. Here in NJ I would go to jail for a silencer so I’m hoping one day I find a solution for my 45 tactical...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like the YHM and have been using it for a while. Never used the grizzly so I may need to try it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ill keep you posted. 3d printer prototype was a good fit. made some minor adjustments. first real working prototype should be done early next week

1 - 20 of 42 Posts