FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like this platform except for the long pull on the DA. it is so long & so heavy that i can see my sights shake before the
trigger breaks......not exactly ideal for a good POI.
Is it acceptable, safe, or a good idea to keep one in the chamber, cocked,
but with the safety on to avoid the long heavy pull??
I really love the high capacity & red dot ready of this pistol, but that long heavy pull is almost preventing me to pulling the trigger
on shelling out $1,300 that these are going for these days. If anybody knows of a slightly used model for less, I would be interested.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Rectangle

any thoughts /suggestions are greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes it's perfectly acceptable to carry one cocked and locked. Only way I carry.

I use my FNX45 for dry fire practice. Dry firing using heavy trigger pull dual action revolvers while keeping full front sight focus and training with it until the sights dont move for you anymore is an old Bullseye trick to improve your marksmanship with the semiautos.

So yes the DA trigger is heavy and long. But, you can carry in Condition 1 anyway. And it's a dry fire safe gun that can help you train to be an even better pistol shooter.

Let's see some pics after you buy and take it home!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I use my FNX45 for dry fire practice. Dry firing using heavy trigger pull dual action revolvers while keeping full front sight focus and training with it until the sights dont move for you anymore is an old Bullseye trick to improve your marksmanship with the semiautos.

So yes the DA trigger is heavy and long. But, you can carry in Condition 1 anyway. And it's a dry fire safe gun that can help you train to be an even better pistol shooter.

Sounds good......I will let you know how it goes....It may be a little while though.....Time & $ constraints are forcing me to obtain magazines before purchase of the pistol.
my state recently passed a 10rd limit law, but grandfathered in existing mags in possession....which by the way.....how many 15rd mags are considered reasonable?
I would like 5 but at $50/each that adds up fast....i don't want to be caught short, but i don't want to overspend if i don't have to....
If I get the pistol after the law goes into affect, July 1, i will only get 2 10rd mags......not happy about that...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I carried one with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety on. Best to practice to how you will carry.

It is the best shooting 45 acp gun out there IMO.
That is Great to hear.....
Its hard not to compare the sweet trigger on my Sig Stx 45 1911, but the capacity is almost double, has red dot & threaded barrel. The FNX is on a level all of its own.
I recently saw an ad for a 20rd mag for the FNX 45 T by Pro Mag. I thought 15 rds was great , i will have to investigate the pro mag further!!!
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
215 Posts
That is Great to hear.....
Its hard not to compare the sweet trigger on my Sig Stx 45 1911, but the capacity is almost double, has red dot & threaded barrel. The FNX is on a level all of its own.
I recently saw an ad for a 20rd mag for the FNX 45 T by Pro Mag. I thought 15 rds was great , i will have to investigate the pro mag further!!! View attachment 162186
Nice 1911, heard really good things about those. I do love 1911s, and I would give the edge on the trigger to the 1911, but not by much.

· Registered
76 Posts

got this one used last year for 900.00 didn't look like it had been used much
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
87 Posts
New to The Forum, late to the discussion! I have three fnx-45s 1 standard model in Black, 2 tacticals in fde. 1 tactical converted to.460 Rowland. I carry loaded chamber hammer down safety off. As a matter of fact I don't know why they put the safety on this thing in the first place, the long double action pull is the safety IMO. As far as magazines get as many as you can while you can! Up until last year the fnx-45 came with three mags, now only two. I have a total of 15, but only three have the high-tension Rowland Springs. My LGS is charging 65 plus tax for the mags!

· Registered
118 Posts
I really like this platform except for the long pull on the DA. it is so long & so heavy that i can see my sights shake before the
trigger breaks......not exactly ideal for a good POI.
Is it acceptable, safe, or a good idea to keep one in the chamber, cocked,
but with the safety on to avoid the long heavy pull??
I really love the high capacity & red dot ready of this pistol, but that long heavy pull is almost preventing me to pulling the trigger
on shelling out $1,300 that these are going for these days. If anybody knows of a slightly used model for less, I would be interested. View attachment 162083
any thoughts /suggestions are greatly appreciated.
The trigger pull you describe is an old revolver trick to make a double action shoot as well as a single action. It works well for slow range shooting, but wastes far too much time getting the first shot on target in a gunfight.

With the FNX 45 I use a smooth but rapid trigger pull. The speed is much similar than a single action to release safety and fire. I know most release the safety during the draw, but the speed is still similar. Also, I don't have to think about the safety.

So, how is accuracy? It's actually not much worse than the staging method. With practice, the smooth pull doesn't move the pistol much more than the "staging" effort.
Practice with the "smooth", as you get used to it, "fast" will soon follow.

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast". Sounds contradictory at first, but later it makes sense.

Try both, and use the method that puts the first round on COM with the least time. Getting in the second shot is not the best strategy.

· Registered
26 Posts
New to The Forum, late to the discussion! I have three fnx-45s 1 standard model in Black, 2 tacticals in fde. 1 tactical converted to.460 Rowland. I carry loaded chamber hammer down safety off. As a matter of fact I don't know why they put the safety on this thing in the first place, the long double action pull is the safety IMO. As far as magazines get as many as you can while you can! Up until last year the fnx-45 came with three mags, now only two. I have a total of 15, but only three have the high-tension Rowland Springs. My LGS is charging 65 plus tax for the mags!
Brownell and MidwestGunWorks have the mags for$44.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.