FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just took my brand new fnx 45 tactical to the range and fired 10 mags through it. After I drop the spent magazine and go to insert a new magazine it seems to hang up about 3/4 of the way in on something in the mag well, the best I can tell it looks like the spring for the hammer protrudes into the mag well and sometimes the rear lip of the mag will get stuck on it. If i drop the mag and try to re-seat it a few times it will eventually go in.

It does not happen 100% of the time, I was able to reproduce it with an empty mag about 20% of the time. Has anyone experienced this and/or have a solution?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on where it hangs up it seems possible, There is no visible indication that it's actually protruding, furthermore when it does hang up which is not all the time i just have to drop the mag a big jiggle it around and then it'll go in. 80% of the time i don't have the issue.

I'm going to take the slide off tonight and see if I can replicate it and identify what's going on. I'll also try and take a video of it happening.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, after taking off the slide I figured out what i'm catching on and how to replicate it.

I'm catching on the mag release button/catch. If i tilt the bottom of the mag slightly back (away from the muzzle) causing the front lip of the mag to pivot forwards it causes the front lip of the mag to catch on the mag release. If i then tilt the bottom of the mag forwards (towards the muzzle) causing the front lip of the mag to pivot back it frees the lip and i can seat the mag. Is this common? I've never had this issue with any other hand gun I've fired.

· Banned
665 Posts
It doesnt happen on my FNP45T, which uses slightly smaller mags than your FNX45. The mag will catch but not enough so that I cant insert it, it simply causes minor resistance which would have been overcome by the force of slapping in a full mag. If you want to experiment, order a replacement mag catch from FN and try filling down a little bit at a time. Does it happen at all if you slam a mag in instead of sliding a mag in?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happens even if i slam the mag in, it's just blocked, and normally when I slam the mag in i give it the wrong tilt so that it will catch up.

I snagged some fnp-45 magazines because i read they should fit/work, and they do work fine. I only have the problem with the fnx-45 magazines, the fnp-45 magazines do as you said. I feel a slight resistance but if i give it a bit more force it goes in. the fnx magazines no matter how hard i hit the they are stuck unless I tilt them a bit.

If you look at the magazines you can see that the fnp-45 magazines curve back a little bit while the fnx-45 magazines are more squared off and have more surface to catch the mag release.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I called FN, they told me to send it in. But here are some pictures to illustrate and I'll be posting a youtube video soon too.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

(left Green) if I apply a slight forward tilt to the bottom of the mag, it causes the top of the magazine to pivot back, and it inserts fine.
(right Red) If I apply a rearward force to the bottom of the mag, it causes the top of the mag to pivot forward and catch.

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes, they shoot just fine, and I don't have the mag insertion issue with the FNP mag. Apparently I'm the only one who has this issue with the FNX-45T? Guess i'll be calling FN on Monday.
Just found the 45X Tactical today! Got a pretty good deal. Took it home and I noticed the same thing with the front of the magazines catching inside on the ambi-release. So it may be more widespread. Hoping to hear more in this thread on it. It seems to be better if you tilt the bottom of the magazine forward as you slide up, but it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for sharing so I know it wasn't just me!

· Registered
126 Posts
The reason it catches is because the way the ambi mag release works from the center of the mag not on the side like traditional pistols. If I insert mint gently with a forward angle I feel the resistance but if you just slam it home it gos in every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My FNX-45 does the same thing, and with the same fix: tilt the top of the mag towards the rear of the pistol.

..Joe
Unfortunately for a $1,000 handgun this "fix" unacceptable, and frankly a liability. I probably could of fixed it myself with a file, but for what this thing cost I shouldn't have to. It's not a Saiga.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The reason it catches is because the way the ambi mag release works from the center of the mag not on the side like traditional pistols. If I insert mint gently with a forward angle I feel the resistance but if you just slam it home it gos in every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I slammed it when testing the issue and it just stayed there. Maybe they catch worse for some guns?

· Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately for a $1,000 handgun this "fix" unacceptable, and frankly a liability. I probably could of fixed it myself with a file, but for what this thing cost I shouldn't have to. It's not a Saiga.
I found this pic this morning on another thread: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/36109-fnp-45-magazine-fnx-45-pistol-up-close-request-pictures.html

Looks like the FNP magazines are slightly rounded on the top front of the mag. May just be the angle of the pic, but I wonder if that is why the FNX mags catch on the internal release tab if inserted just right. When mine catches, it won't go in. Now I haven't hit it really hard, but I shouldn't have to.

Tool accessory Metal

another angle:

credit to user Rockyriver for the pics.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.