FN Herstal Firearms banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum...great resource. I bought mine in Feb/14, it was built in Sept/13. No issues at all. I put 100 rounds of Federal 230 through it and then a bunch of hand loads to match the performance. All went well. After reading the issues raised here, I tried to make it happen on mine. I was only able to get a slight snag inserting each of the 3 factory mags. Full and empty. No blemishes on the barrel and no apparent rework of the mag release. Maybe I got lucky. Now finding a holster, that's been an issue. I am left hands and even the meager offerings by Blade Tech and Blackhawk don't seem to want my little portion of the market. Any suggestions? I'd really like to go with a Serpa style. Great forum.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have to say, this fix has done wonders. I lost the link to CIF tacticals fix for this also, but it works great. Shaving down the center column just enough gives enough clearance for all mags to drop freely. Along with nothing catches when loading magazines. I bought a vice and some diamond files off ebay and fixed it for just $30. Better than being without for 3 weeks (Based on my reading).

~This fix is for the hard stop magazines were hitting when slammed in or tilted forward in the magwell.~

You can click any pic to get a higher detailed pic if needed.

Alright first I started by stripping the gun down as normal. Here you can see the Mag Release and Magazine Catch Spring

The area in red is what is causing all the fuss. We need to do something about it!

Next I tried using one of my Dentist pics but it wasn't strong enough to pull out the spring. So I improvised and made a hook at the end of a paper clip
(which you can see in the following pic). You may need to press the hook of the spring on the bottom in with a small flat head screwdriver to allow it to slide out.

Here are only parts you have to mess with :) also the "FNH Magazine Catch Spring Removal Tool" (Patent Pending)

After triple checking the correct side I had to fix I used a paint pen to mark the correct corner.

Here is where I went the dumb route (but turned out fine!) I broke out the dremel and a countersunk grinding wheel

After taking the dremel and being extremely careful i shaved an angle cut into the corner i needed to. Here is the corner after grinding it down.

Another Angle.

You may need to test fit to make sure you took enough off. I was lucky and got it on the first go around. Also don't forget to put a little oil or take a bluing pen to the corner.
Now just put it all back together and enjoy not having to wait 2-3 weeks!!

Good luck!

· Registered
66 Posts
I'm really disappointed with fn. I have a fnx45, and been through 2 fnx45t and with all of them they catch on the mag release notch. My fnx45 and one of my 45ts won't drop an empty mag at all. Sucks that even new (my new fnx 45t had a test shot of April '14) I'm having this issue. I knew I should have went hk. I know I can fix this, but with a "not cheap" gun and a major manufacturer, I should have to. I really wanted a scar 17, but now I'm not so sure... I know the scar will most likely be fine, however I try and not support shoddy and shady manufacturing practices, poor CS or "blind eye" qc. Love the gun, but I'm not mad... Just, disappointed.
rant complete.

· Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when searching for a resolution to the mag slam-wall problem.

I would like to share great news. It is October of 2015 and FN has not still fixed this problem with their new pistols! Oh wait, that's not great news.

· Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my FNX .45 (test round dated 6/9/15) at the beginning of the month. I can recall a couple of instances where the mag refused to seat during a mag change. Initially I didn't think anything of it as I was still feeling out the gun and not concerned with fast mag changes. It only really caught my attention after I read this thread. Now however, after about 200 rounds and plenty of manipulation/dexterity practice, I have no issue with mag changes whatsoever. I guess it just had to wear in a little. Couldn't be happier with my purchase!

· Registered
1 Posts
Just received mine yesterday. Had the same problem with the magazine catching. After reading this post, I slammed it in and out continuously 75 times. I have now tried to make it catch and it won't. Problem solved hopefully.

· Registered
237 Posts
Did you slam just one mag or multiple mags? I would make sure you altered the mag release so all mags work rather than the one magazine where that's the only one that works

Just received mine yesterday. Had the same problem with the magazine catching. After reading this post, I slammed it in and out continuously 75 times. I have now tried to make it catch and it won't. Problem solved hopefully.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to the FNX 45T but from what I read, this seems to be a common issue. I was having the same problem and found another forum users solution. I'd give him credit if I could find his post.

My barely educated FNX guess is that you're hanging up on the mag release. The middle of that release has a 'channel' cut into it. On either side of that channel are sharp, 90˚ corners. The bottom two corners are likely what you're hanging up on. I took mine out and just barely rounded off those two corners and polished them. Problem solved. And the solution did not cause any other issues. Mags seat, drop, and operate as they should. If you'd like a picture, I'll get one uploaded.

Just to reiterate, I found this solution from someone else who was awesome enough to take and post pictures. I can't take credit for it. but it worked very well.

· Registered
20 Posts
Shot my new fnxT today for first time, had mag issue, didn't slam it, but pushed it in and the second go of 15 rds, (30 total) the metal piece on the mag that catches in the mag well just broke off completely! Mag won't catch anymore. Called FN and they are going to call me back tomorrow supposedly. Anyone have that issue?

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.