FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just picked up my new fnx 45 and I have about 250-300 rounds through it. I’ve had multiple issues with ejecting the brass. I’m shooting blazer brass fmj. Anyone else having this same issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only time I've had issue with ejection is when I first learned shooting from retention and didn't have my wrist aligned correctly.

Also, check the sticky in the FNX section for tips on working in the RSA, namely locking the slide back for a few days. Those springs can be rather stiff out of the box. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only time I've had issue with ejection is when I first learned shooting from retention and didn't have my wrist aligned correctly.

Also, check the sticky in the FNX section for tips on working in the RSA, namely locking the slide back for a few days. Those springs can be rather stiff out of the box. Hope this helps!
Thanks, I try locking the slide back for a few days. I have no issues with my sig p220 ejecting, but maybe my grip could be adjusted as this is a little bit bigger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah the grip is a bit on the large side. I have large hands but short fingers, so I have to be cognizant of my grip when I use the FNX-45. Not as much a margin for error as there is with the 40 or my S&Ws. Locking the slide back for a few days should help as well, as that helps work the RSA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I purchased my FN FNX Tactical 45 over a year ago. I've had nothing but problems with MALF, FTL, stovepipes, et cetera. It has frustrated me so much that I put it up for sale. I do not have any problems with my various Springfields. Recently took my new XDM Elite to USPSA steel challenge events and had never fired it... put thru 450rds over two events in the past week and not a single malf. Same for another new XDS and all the XD's I've owned. It's not my handling of the weapon or manual or arms. This thing is just a PITA POS so far. I've tried a half dozen different types of ammo including ball and several popular defense type cartridges. I bought three new magazines. Tried without the RMR and with it on. NADA. I'll try locking the slide back and see if that works. I want to keep it, but not if I have to spend a penny to make it reliable. If not, I'm going to sell it. Chaulk FN up there with Taurus.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Three possibly four things. The hotter the ammo the better in the fnx45. Underpowered ammo sucks in the fnx 45 especially a new one.
Load your mags and leave em! The FN mag springs are notoriously strong and this act alone has been a fix for many having issues.
Yes lock back slide.
But a better option is breaking it in with 150-200 rds of not underpowered ammo. It's a 1k+ gun, even the non-tactical was 900 new back in day, use quality ammo.
I just sold a tactical and non-tactical earlier this year after firing at least 10000+ rds through each over last 7 years. Just bought one of each again because I found great deals on NIB ones locally before the fake virus BS. Converting my non to 460 rowland and leaving my tactical as is, still waiting for quality reddots to come down in price. I will post my 460 conversion results soon but will also post any issues with the tactical but I don't see that happening as I only had ftf's when they were new and it was less then 5 for each gun out of 10,000+ shots. Quit bashing a firearm too early.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As for Blazer ammo it's total junk. I get it, it's cheaper and times are tough and a $1000+ gun should fire anything but it doesn't for everyone. Like putting 87 gas in a car that says to use premium gas, it'll work but not 100%.
I have never had luck with blazer, tula or Remington fmj in any gun. Armscor and S&B are my favorites but I reload now so the only ammo I buy for handguns is underwood and grizzly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a Caspian 1911, a S&W 1911, an H&K Mk23 and an FNX for .45s. Mt FNX is the one that needs the spiciest ammo of the four. I hand load all my 45 ammo so I load to properly cycle my FNX and by default the same load works in the other three. It's not much of a difference between what works the other three versus the FNX but it does need just a bit more boogy dust to do its thing. I've found the Blazer to be dirty and unreliable in the FNX when I've tried it and agree it's pretty junk stuff. I shot up what I had in the S&W so I could use the brass.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Odd to hear this feedback about Blazer. Are you guys talking about the aluminum cased junk or the brass cased? I know it's not "premium" stuff but I'd take it over Winchester white box any day.

I haven't ran any in my FNX TAC but my Glocks eat it like the Cookie Monster. I've never had one problem with the brass cased stuff. I don't touch that aluminum swill.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a few similar issues when I first bought mine. Yes, I was pissed that a 1k gun was being finicky. I cycled the slide a few hundred times, left the mags loaded for a few days, and left the slide locked back. I also bought a Hogue sleeve for it to help me get a firmer grip. Since then, I’ve probably put 3-400 rounds of mixed ammo through it with absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A word about mag springs. My FNX 45 had a heck of time loading the ammo up into the chamber. Got worse as the mag emptied. Never seen this before. I ordered three FNP 45 mag springs from Midwest Ind. I compared the springs on the bench and they were noticeably different. Almost looked like 9mm mag sized springs. After replacing all three I have had no problems with FTF, FTE, etc. Haven't had a hiccup since. Just something else to check. -hth
ET1USN

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would try a different ammo. I am a notoriously limp wristed shooter and have had a grand total of 1 malfunction with the T. That was day 1 and while it was a long time ago I think it was within the first 3 rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts