FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
This has been covered here for years now, do some research and you will find out this is normal with a new FNX45 and less than hot ammo. I was involved with FN 10 years ago when I had problems with FTFs with hot +P ammo in a FNP45. To make a long story short , FN redesigned the FNP45 to better handle +P ammo by increasing the strength of the recoil and mag springs, slightly longer mag body to handle longer ammo, and increasing the dwell time for the slide to allow more time for the mag stack to rise. The result of these changes was the introduction of the FNX45.

So don't be disappointed. Rack the slide many times and leave it locked back for a couple weeks, use "hot" ammo and with a little time the problem will go away completely. The FNX45 was redesigned to handle hot +P ammo and uses a stiff recoil spring.
Don't despair! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement!
I would eventually like to put this into my rotation as a standard training gun but unless I'm doing malfunction drills it will have to wait just a bit longer before I'm comfortable with its reliability.
Has anyone tried using the old guide spring from the FNP45 to see if it resolves the issue when using non +P ammo?

·
Registered
FNX45 Tactical
7 Posts
I am going to give it some time to break in as suggested, may go out tomorrow and zero the red dot that I put on it. I will update with more results,

·
Registered
FNX45 Tactical
7 Posts
Just an update, I was able to go out today since we had a decent day and put some rounds thru it. Needed to sight in the red dot anyways and was able to get in another 200 rounds thru it. I will say it ran much better than the first trip out as I only had I think a couple of failure to feed and 1 or 2 failure to eject. So it seems the advice to keep the mags loaded and the slide locked back is working, I'm sure it will keep getting better and better.

I will say this though after a couple of hundred rounds the gun wanted to keep going but my hands said enough is enough for 1 day 😁 :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
The guys make a good point in that it's designed as a military weapon. NATO spec ammo is hotter than civil ammo, regardless of caliber. Fairly comparable to +p at that. I'm pretty sure that's why the Beretta 92 was not an exact copy of the M9, to compare other service weapons; the 92 needed to work with less spicy loads whereas the M9 needed to hold up to the pounding of NATO spec ammo.

The cheapest ammo I've run through my FNX-45 is S&B. I've run a lot of Speer Lawman through it as well, and the sole issue I've had with FTE was when I didn't have a proper grip when learning to shoot from retention. The instructor caught what I was doing, explained to everyone what caused it, and helped me fix it. No issue since.

Compared to some of the pricier 1911s, the FNX doesn't seem to be as finicky.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts