FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
My name is Mike and I'm a newbie on this forum. I purchased my FNX a couple of weeks ago and finally had some time to take it to the range for the first time today.

After the first couple of rounds from my first clip, I had a stovepipe. Cleared it and fired a few more rounds and had another one. I ran my second clip and had several more happen. I loaded both clips again (15 rnds) and had the same problem again, 4-5 stovepipes with each clip. I thought it may had been an issue with the clip springs too tight with a full clip, so I reloaded with 10 rnds and still had the same issue.

I ended up running around 150 rnds and it never got any worse nor better, but I got this particular handgun because it was rated as highly reliable. Unless I've done something wrong when I cleaned and oiled it up before taking it out for its first time, I don't know. I also don't think that6i was limp wristing either when shooting. Is this a know issue, and if so, is there a fix? Any help would be greatly helpful and appreciated!

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts
Hi all!
My name is Mike and I'm a newbie on this forum. I purchased my FNX a couple of weeks ago and finally had some time to take it to the range for the first time today.

After the first couple of rounds from my first clip, I had a stovepipe. Cleared it and fired a few more rounds and had another one. I ran my second clip and had several more happen. I loaded both clips again (15 rnds) and had the same problem again, 4-5 stovepipes with each clip. I thought it may had been an issue with the clip springs too tight with a full clip, so I reloaded with 10 rnds and still had the same issue.
Welcome to the Forum!

lol!

·
Administrator
12,080 Posts
We all knew what you meant as the FNX45 has no "clips".

The ammo is weak. This is a military grade firearm and has a very stiff return spring. Use hotter ammo for the next 200 rounds then you will be set. As an alternative you can lock the slide back for about 2 weeks but I would go the ammo route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was finally able to find some Federal Hydra-Shok hp, but was planning on saving that for home defense. Should be receiving those next week. Been really hard to find any 45 ammo around where I live, let alone being a bit particular.

Is this gun gonna only be reliable with only high quality ammo? I don't mind paying a bit more for the good stuff, but for just plinking/target I don't want to have to take out a loan to have a little fun! Lol

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have 4 1911's, a Mk23 and the FNX for 45s. The FNX has the strongest spring of all of em. I hand load 45 and I have loaded rounds that function all the 1911's and the MK but still won't run the FNX. The FNX likes a bit hotter ammo than the usual cheap range food. Leave the slide locked open for a week and it'll help but will also get better after several hundred rounds of break in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FN uses very stiff recoil return springs and your FNX-45 will be reliable once it’s broken in and leaving your slide locked open will also help in the break in process
X2^^, I left mine slide lock open for two weeks and the same for the magazines. Haven’t had any issues so far, and i did use the WWB, 150 rds of it. So far I have shot a total of 500 rds, and no issues at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the forum Doc Rock!

Very frustrating when you have an issue like that. My Colt Defender ran great for a few years then started having similar issues. I finally sent it back to Colt where they polished port and tuned. Now it’s running like a charm again.

My FNX45 is my bedside home defense gun and after a few thousand rounds “0” failures. I’ve loaded various brands and bullet types and weights alternately in the mag and rapid fired with no failures. It’s unbelievably reliable!

I’m sure it’s something simple like the others above have said. Hang in there with it and if all else fails, send it back to FN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was finally able to find some Federal Hydra-Shok hp, but was planning on saving that for home defense. Should be receiving those next week. Been really hard to find any 45 ammo around where I live, let alone being a bit particular.

Is this gun gonna only be reliable with only high quality ammo? I don't mind paying a bit more for the good stuff, but for just plinking/target I don't want to have to take out a loan to have a little fun! Lol
I understand your reluctance to shoot up a bunch of your Federal Hydra-Shok hp to break the gun in.
But folks on the forum are right, the FN45 is designed for NATO spec ammo, similar to +P ammo.

Before I learned all this, I broke my guns in the hard way. That was during the 2012 ammo shortage.
Fire a few shots, clear the jam, fire a few more.
As frustrating as it was, it worked. My new guns did eventually break in with the weaker ammo.

Try shooting just a couple of mags of Federal Hydra-Shok hp. If it runs fine, the gun is good.
It will eventually break in, just faster with stronger ammo. It's part of the hobby you find out after you get into it.

I'm not taking a "suck it up" attitude, but most of the better guns are built a little tight.
A couple hundred rounds of NATO or other good ammo helps them loosen up and break in.
After that, you can go back to the economy stuff for practice.

I have two new guns to try out next week, and no more NATO ammo left.
I hope they work well with Winchester White Box, but don't know for sure yet.

·
Administrator
12,080 Posts
Win White Box is not my choice for breaking in a mil spec'd firearm. Although once loosened up (broken in) its great range ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts