FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a new FNX 45 Tactical with 200 rounds through it. It functions fine and is perfect! I started to try hand loads today without much success.

• I used Berry's 230gr RN Plated bullets and Winchester Large Pistol Primers, and once fired Federal Brass.
  • I started off with a low charge of 4.4 Titegroup and worked my way up to 4.8gr. The pistol cycled was half and half with the 4.8gr charge of Titegroup (5 stove piped and 5 ejected fine out of 10 rounds). Anything below that didn't cycle consistently, and stove-piped most of the time.
  • I did the same with HP-38, started of with 4.3 gr of HP-38, and worked my way up to 5.0gr. None of these loads even cycled the spent casing out of the pistol, except a few 5.0gr loads stove-piped the spent casing.
I put another 100 factory American Eagle rounds through the pistol after I tried out my hand loads with no issues. My only thought at this point is to work another few hundred factory rounds through the pistol to see if it helps. Also I will make sure the pistol is fully lubed. I'm just about at the maximums for these loads according to the Hodgdon load data.

Any suggestions on using these powders to achieve a fully cycling FNX? Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
835 Posts
That is strange because Hodgen max load is 4.8 grains when using 230 grain bullets. What is the OAL length used?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I misread the correct OAL when putting these together (or had another number stuck in my head). They are averaging 1.275", which is right at the max OAL for .45 ACP. I think I will press these left overs down to 1.200" as mentioned by Hodgdon, and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you resolved the issue? Would like an update if possible. Just picked up a FNX 45 and want to hand load for mine once it is broken in. HP-38 is what I have right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use 230 gr. Berry bullets as well. My brass is mixed. Primers I use are WLP. Powder is hp38. I have read that factory rounds use 5.6 gr hp38 or W 231 with Oal at 1.250. So I copied that load and it works great for me but I could bring the charge down a bit if I wanted to cause my primers are starting to get flat but it's nothing bad so I stuck with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dropped the OAL down to 1.250, and everything cycled. I did get a few that didn't cycle correctly using the minimum loads for Titegroup, but the 4.5 and 4.6 range with Titegroup and HP did very well once I shortened the OAL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use titegroup as well, but I load to 1.275". I'm looking to make a 850-900fps load with 230grn fmj. I'm doing my load development and putting the ceiling at 5.1 grains.
little known fact, the fnx took 9.0 grains of titegroup before it exploded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but has anyone out there handloaded for an FNX 45 tac using autocomp? the build I intend on using consists of federal and winchester brass, CCI Lprimers, and 230g FMJ's.

I'm only interested in autocomp experience. i've read all the back and forth debate regarding it's reload worthiness; However, this late in the game, it's all I can get my hands on. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I reload my 45 tac with autocomp and I am having some problems... But I'm not sure it's the powder. I came here for some advice as well. I am using autocomp at 6.5gr (6.6 is max) with a cast 230 grain bullet. It fires fine, ejects fine... but not always going all the way back into battery. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue of it not returning to battery.

I think the powder is fine and works fine, but maybe my OAL is off? I am running OAL around 1.218 - 1.220. Help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reload my FNX45 with Power Pistol 6.5gr(7.1 is max) , Hornady 230gr FMJ-RN , OAL 1.265, works very good.I used that OAL from the measurement I got on
the Winchester white box(100) FMJ RN ammo I purchased when I got the gun.
I just bought this gun a few weeks ago and really like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts