FN Herstal Firearms banner

FNX-45T Frame Sag

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Raider 
#1 ·
This may have already been discussed in another thread but I don't readily see it. The polymer frame on my new FNX-45T is sagging down in the front, i.e. the frame is not straight and bends downward in the front. See pic below:

Of course, this has no effect at all in the shooting sense but it does affect the accuracy of a rail-mounted laser like the one shown above. I called FN's tech support and they had no suggestions for me and talked as if this was the first they had heard of it. Frankly, I'm not buying that story at all. The thing that concerns me about this is the weakness of the frame in that area. With very little effort, you can wiggle the frame up and down so clearly, the strength that I would like to see is not there. The only idea I have to straighten the frame is to use a heat gun and see if it will bend back so as to show a more consistent gap between the frame and slide. The tech rep didn't warn me against trying that but was careful to say it was not his suggestion. Does anyone else have a suggestion on how to straighten and preferably strengthen the frame in this area? Thanks!

BTW, I hope this will not come across as an overall negative review of this gun. So far, it has proven to shoot exceptionally well with accuracy and no malfunctions of any kind. The Trijicon RMR sight makes shooting the FNX so much easier for an older guy like me with failing eyesight. :biggrin:

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks! You gave me the courage to try the heat gun approach and it worked great. My frame is straight again! This makes my day! Thanks again! BTW, anyone else trying this, I would say it doesn't take all that much heat to get the plastic in bendable condition. The whole process with my heat gun took about 2 minutes. The question now is whether the frame will stay straight. Time will tell but for now, all is good.

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the strength. I can move the front of all my polymer pistols without too much effort. Never had any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.