FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't currently have a 45. I carry an FNS9 daily and we keep a glock 22 in my wife's car. So we've got 9 and 40 covered.
So I'm in the market for a 45.
Now I think the tactical is one awesome package. However, I'll never out a red dot on it and I'll never buy a can for it. So I'm thinking the standard 45 will suit my needs just fine. So for MY proposes, are there any advantages to the tactical in terms of accuracy and durability??

Another factor would be the slightly used, like new FNX45 that I fondled yesterday for $560otd.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
If you don't need a RMR or threaded barrel, get the standard. The frames are the same, so essentially they are the same pistol. I have both, and shoot the standard more. I just don't care for the RMR set-up. Now I did take the Tactical's barrel and drop it in the standard for suppressor use.

Either way you get a great pistol.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sounds like the standard FNX 45 will meet your needs. I had both until my standard turned into a tactical clone. I have no red dots or suppressors but I just love the coolness of the tactical.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I went with the standard model. The threaded barrel, RMR mount, and FDE slide look nice, but I'd probably never use the threaded barrel, and the FDE slide just wasn't worth the extra $$$ for me.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Well, mine is suppressed, so I went with the Tac (and I love the complete FDE frame/slide). But, for your needs you're not going going to be using any of the extra's, so the standard would suit your needs just fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you're ABSOLUTELY sure you will never need a red dot or suppressor, I would agree that you should just buy the FNX-45. Should you ever want to convert it to a tactical, the conversion will be pricey assuming you can even obtain a threaded barrel. As for me, I want the red dot and suppressor so I went with the tactical. I've already mounted the red dot and now waiting for the authorization to purchase the suppressor. I also bought the standard barrel and ten round magazines in the event I bring the gun to California. Whichever one you get, the FNX-45 is one fine pistol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start with the 45T; then work backwards. You won't be sorry.

First, the 45T with the raised sights for suppressor use, is one of the best sight pictures in the industry. Second, the extra almost 1/2" of barrel makes the weapon viable for center-of-mass accuracy out to 75 yds from a rest. I'm in California so I purchased the FNX-45 barrel, now available from FN USA for $165 and several 10rd mags. If I didn't, I ran the risk of the threaded barrel being "discovered" by an an over eager LEO at the range or during a "routine traffic stop".

Regarding RMRs: I have Trijicon's RMR and prefer not to use it on the 45T. The raised sights on the 45T are excellent for rapid target acquisition and the addition of the dot simply confuse the picture, even in low light.

I own several models of 45APC pistols and the FNX-45T is my go-to weapon. If I’m expecting a food fight, I'm leaving my house with the 45T and 150 rnds in ten magazines.

·
Banned
119 Posts
If you consider everything else you get (nights sights, TB, RMR, range bag $50 value) its beyond worth it if you added those things aftermarket. Unless you live in Kalifornia, I see absolutely no reason not to get the Tactical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts