FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick History. I went big and hard into the FNS rabbit hole. Had 5 9mms. 2 LS 2 Standard 1 compact. Then added a 509.

For me, it was a disaster. Kept waiting for 3rd party support that never came. Sold all of them in one swoop and walked away.

2 weeks ago my brother bought a new FNX 9mm. Shot it once and hated it. Does not like the DA and decocker setup. Thats on him for he has never liked DA/SA guns.

Feeling sorry for him, I had a NIB G17 I took on trade that I was not using and I traded it too him. He is just a G guy and shoots them very well.

So now I am back and reading the FN forum.

Is the FNX dead? Looks like the FNS time is limited.

Also pleased that the 509 looks like it is doing much better. BTW - The 509 I really liked, but in my mega trade it was all or nothing.

The FNX handles well too me. Will get some live fire the weekend. Then gun seems pretty good.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I prefer hammer fired guns, but that does not seem to be the way that most of the newer guns are going. The DA pull is pretty stiff on the FNX, but the follow up SA pull is pretty nice. It is a different shooting gun than anything striker fired, so people either like it or not. Do not see much on the FNX9 anymore, but the FNX45T has been the most popular one in the line for several years now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve been a Sig guy for a while now. I really like the DA/SA set up, and have several metal p-series guns (and a couple plastic ones). I can’t say how many times I’ve almost bought the SP2022. After handling it, I just didn’t like the feel of it, or the decocker. Several weeks ago, I picked up the FNX 45 and fell in love with it. It’s a fantastic pistol that does everything I want and feels great. I just purchased a FNX 40 for a great price, and can’t wait to shoot it. I think it’s a great series. If anything, I just wish they were as modular as Sigs.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I wish FN would come out with a precision version, 2" at 50 yards grade with a red dot mount. I will not buy another striker fired handgun. $2K pricetag is fine, higher negotiable. A double stack combat pistol that you can also use to shoot Bullseye

Calibers: 9mm, 45acp, 10mm

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a FNX-9 that I had Parker Mountain Machining mill for a RMR Type 2 sight. This turned out to be pretty fantastic. The light SA trigger works very well with the 3.25 MOA red dot - it doubles my practical range where I can consistently hit a 3" Shoot-n-See target from around 25 feet with the iron sights to around 50 feet with the red dot. Using the red dot sight also helps clean up my trigger press -- it is amazing how much that dot moves around if you don't have a good grip and if you push or jerk the trigger.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons not related to how well it shoots, this pistol is going to be sold soon. This is where the FN's do NOT shine -- their resale market is small. Still, it is a fine pistol, and it has a lot of accuracy potential.

Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft Revolver
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice setup Gunrover! Are you selling all of your FNXes?

I see you're from VA. Hoping legislation (re: mag capacity) doesn't negatively impact your state and your rights . Kentucky is now in the same situation, with a similar bill on the table. Hoping our bill (354) doesn't get passed, as well.

Great job and selection on the FNX mods!

I have a FNX-9 that I had Parker Mountain Machining mill for a RMR Type 2 sight. This turned out to be pretty fantastic. The light SA trigger works very well with the 3.25 MOA red dot - it doubles my practical range where I can consistently hit a 3" Shoot-n-See target from around 25 feet with the iron sights to around 50 feet with the red dot. Using the red dot sight also helps clean up my trigger press -- it is amazing how much that dot moves around if you don't have a good grip and if you push or jerk the trigger.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons not related to how well it shoots, this pistol is going to be sold soon. This is where the FN's do NOT shine -- their resale market is small. Still, it is a fine pistol, and it has a lot of accuracy potential.

View attachment 131813 View attachment 131815

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice setup Gunrover! Are you selling all of your FNXes?

I see you're from VA. Hoping legislation (re: mag capacity) doesn't negatively impact your state and your rights . Kentucky is now in the same situation, with a similar bill on the table. Hoping our bill (394) doesn't get passed, as well.

Great job and selection on the FNX mods!
The KY bill is 354.

·
Registered
180 Posts
VA is heading towards a train wreck for gun owners. It is still up in the air whether "high capacity" (e.g., over 10 round) magazines and "assault firearms" will be grandfathered by the spate of new laws expected to go through in January. I can live with 10 round mags, but I know a lot of the AR-15 folks -- many of them vets from Iraq and Afghanistan -- will be shattered if they are told they have to give up rifles that were perfectly legal to own when they bought them.

The FNX-9 is a favorite pistol of mine, although I have recently (in the last year) really invested heavily in CZ's (a CZ-75 BD, a CZ-75 PCR, and a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical). All of the CZs, like the FNX-9, feature DA/SA triggers and decockers, which to me is what a pistol should possess.

I recently bought a new slide for the FNX-9, to replace the milled slide, from MGW. What a deal -- $200 -- and it included a recoil spring and a new barrel. (The slide and barrel originally cost a lot more, and obviously had been in storage for quite a while). I am selling the FNX-9 with the new slide/barrel to a FFL dealer and offering the milled slide separately (with raised Trijicon iron sights and a mounting plate for a Trijicon RMR or SRO).

It makes me sad to let the FNX-9 go. This is one I bought at the shop in Columbia. I added the mag release from a FN 509, which is a super (and not terribly expensive) improvement over the smallish mag release that came with the FNX-9 originally (see photo of the new mag release, below). Anyway, the FNX-9 is a great pistol, but I am just not sure that anyone is going to support these in the future, as I suspect -- I hope I am wrong -- FN is going to get out of the FNX-9/40 line of pistols.

Metal

·
Registered
206 Posts
VA is heading towards a train wreck for gun owners. It is still up in the air whether "high capacity" (e.g., over 10 round) magazines and "assault firearms" will be grandfathered by the spate of new laws expected to go through in January. I can live with 10 round mags, but I know a lot of the AR-15 folks -- many of them vets from Iraq and Afghanistan -- will be shattered if they are told they have to give up rifles that were perfectly legal to own when they bought them.

The FNX-9 is a favorite pistol of mine, although I have recently (in the last year) really invested heavily in CZ's (a CZ-75 BD, a CZ-75 PCR, and a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical). All of the CZs, like the FNX-9, feature DA/SA triggers and decockers, which to me is what a pistol should possess.

I recently bought a new slide for the FNX-9, to replace the milled slide, from MGW. What a deal -- $200 -- and it included a recoil spring and a new barrel. (The slide and barrel originally cost a lot more, and obviously had been in storage for quite a while). I am selling the FNX-9 with the new slide/barrel to a FFL dealer and offering the milled slide separately (with raised Trijicon iron sights and a mounting plate for a Trijicon RMR or SRO).

It makes me sad to let the FNX-9 go. This is one I bought at the shop in Columbia. I added the mag release from a FN 509, which is a super (and not terribly expensive) improvement over the smallish mag release that came with the FNX-9 originally (see photo, below). Anyway, the FNX-9 is a great pistol, but I am just not sure that anyone is going to support these in the future, as I suspect -- I hope I am wrong -- FN is going to get out of the FNX-9/40 line of pistols.

View attachment 132113
Curious, could you please share the part # for the new FNX9 slide assembly that you purchased from MGW? I too was interested and inquired, but was told that the barrel and recoil spring wouldn't be included with the slide assembly. With these included, the $200 price is a great deal.

As for long term support, it's a crap shoot with many brands. Good luck with the CZ platform, heard lot's of positive reviews on them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Curious, could you please share the part # for the new FNX9 slide assembly that you purchased from MGW? I too was interested and inquired, but was told that the barrel and recoil spring wouldn't be included with the slide assembly. With these included, the $200 price is a great deal.

As for long term support, it's a crap shoot with many brands. Good luck with the CZ platform, heard lot's of positive reviews on them.
As of 2 Jan 20, it is still on the MGW web page under "closeouts." Type F510661195 in the search box. For $199, mine came with white dot sights, a black barrel, and a white-painted recoil spring. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently got a SP2022 in 40 s&w. Love the way it handles. I was nor surprised, as I too am a Sig guy. I got an excellent deal on A FN Forty Nine back over the summer. Well it is 6 months later, & I finally took the Forty Nine out for a test drive. I am in love. No real recoil, very smooth shooting firearm. I see another FN in my near future as well, perhaps the FNS-40.

·
Registered
981 Posts
GunRover said:
...I suspect -- I hope I am wrong -- FN is going to get out of the FNX-9/40 line of pistols.
It seems more likely that FN will phase out the FNS line, as the FN509 is just a slightly modified FNS, and FN has already introduced additional frame sizes for the FN509 line.

I would not expect FN to develop an FN509 equivalent in .45, as the FNX line handles that quite well, but a .40 version of the FN509 (FN540?) might come along one of these days. (And like the FNS line, I would expect the frames for the 9mm and .40 S&W FN509/40 models are likely to be the same.)

FN replaced the FNP with the FNX, and the FNX and FNS (and, perhaps the FN509) share some components. I would expect the FNX line to be around for a while. FN-America is starting to do a bit more adveritizing for their hanguns, and the ads have been reasonably well done. They just haven't learned how to sell guns to civilians in the U.S.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I still have a FNX-9 and take to range every so often. No issues except it does not shoot Winchester HP ammo well and have had few issues loading the next round. It shoots Winchester FMJ fine. For HD I use Federal 147gr HST rounds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Redemption

Well, I changed my mind on selling the FNX-9.

I took it to the range, with the new black slide (with new barrel and recoil spring assembly) from MGW, and put the stainless milled slide to one side. And I shot it after dorking around with my CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical with the RMR sight (the RMR sight had come loose during the shooting session, indicating I had not tightened it down enough initially, giving me a lot of problems until I figured out why I suddenly couldn't shoot straight).

Well, shooting the FNX-9 was a delight, something I had forgotten. Easy to handle, great ergos, and that single-action trigger is really very light and smooth.

And, with iron sights, at 21 feet I put everything inside the 3" Shoot-N-See target that is my standard target, using a variety of handloads. This pistol has plenty of accuracy, functions well, and is a joy to shoot -- I had forgotten how good it is.

So I decided to keep it for now -- along with the milled slide -- although as recently as this past week I was trying to sell the milled slide separately.

The FNX-9 deserves special praise for being user-friendly for someone who is of a certain age and benefits from its big white dot iron sights with the wide rear sight groove and its easy-to-rack slide.

In sum, we sometimes hanker after a new gun -- and the CZs I have been focusing on this past year are truly wonderful guns -- but the FNX-9 is still a pretty darn good piece.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts